What if the Polo Grounds Shuttle/Culver Av Shuttle never closed and still survived today?

Javier

The portal that the (3) comes out is about 200' away from the water's edge. Any tunnel to the Bronx would have it looping clockwise around the yard (and 148 St station) just to get the necessary grade clearance for a tunnel.

You would have to completely redesign the whole station and yard area (which sits under a building) just for some hypothetical extension

Why couldn't you just reclaim some of the tunnel right out of 145th street station and start the downgrade there? 22 foot depth? Just keep a feeder track or tracks to the yard take 148th out of the equation. If there where able to do this type of construction with ease along the Thames and Seine a hundred plus years ago. It could be done.

That is what should have happened back in the day.  The (3) to Woodlawn would have given passengers in The Bronx a west side option.

The West Side option does exist. It's called the (B) and the (D) trains. Add that to the (4) to the (2) and all bases are covered right? I might be the only regular poster who actually rode the Polo Grounds and Culver shuttles more than once and I can assure you both were little used in their final days. Even the NY Central Railroad ended service to it's terminal on the Bronx side of the Polo Grounds shuttle claiming "no demand" . With the City of New York and the NYC Board of Transportation/Transit Authority on a mission to demolish els I seriously doubt they would have survived under any circumstances. With the exception of game days at Yankee Stadium how many people are clamoring for this (3) to Woodlawn these days? Check out the capacity of the old stadium, the renovated stadium, and the new stadium. Maybe those builders and renovators know the market better than us lay people? Just sayin'. The whole premise of this thread, while interesting, is pure fantasy, IMO. Carry on.

There likely would have been a rebuild around 2004-'05 or so where the (3) would have been taken south of the old connection before construction of the current Yankee Stadium began, likely with the connection far enough south where the (3) would stop at 161-Yankee Stadium and given west side riders another direct route to "The Stadium."

The thing is it's always easier connecting the dot's when your looking back. It's apparent when these decisions were made no one could have foreseen the boom NewYork is currently under going. Where talking the 1950's and 1970's That's 40-60 year forecast the Mid 1970's might as well have been the apocalypse here in NewYork they where definitely living for the current. The question is what are we leaving for the New York City of 2050?

It's not that no one could foresee the boom. The subway was built for that very thing and there were planners who were proposing not just large subway system expansion. They were also planning region wide commuter subways for suburbanites. Anyway, it was the money that made them say no. When the proposals for the Lenox extension were brought up, it was in a list of at least 19 other improvements in order of priority. It was higher than the 1939 version of SAS actually. It was thought that the amount of money needed to build this 10 block extension was not worth spending on it.

It's not that no one could foresee the boom. The subway was built for that very thing and there were planners who were proposing not just large subway system expansion. They were also planning region wide commuter subways for suburbanites. Anyway, it was the money that made them say no. When the proposals for the Lenox extension were brought up, it was in a list of at least 19 other improvements in order of priority. It was higher than the 1939 version of SAS actually. It was thought that the amount of money needed to build this 10 block extension was not worth spending on it.

For the Subway 110 plus years out and still be operating as intended for most part is a testament within itself. Unfortunately we live in a society despite popular belief where the smartest people aren't the one's really in power. So im not referning to the Planers and Engineers im talking about the people they take orders and funding from. History and the present can only pass judgment on what was done and our current situation. Not intentions and what was planned. It's Yes or No but I also heard there was something about the specs for the tunnel under 162nd Street  and the EL type 3rd rail system and converting the tunnel for subway type 3rd rail guess that added to the cost as well.

For the Subway 110 plus years out and still be operating as intended for most part is a testament within itself. Unfortunately we live in a society despite popular belief where the smartest people aren't the one's really in power. So im not referning to the Planers and Engineers im talking about the people they take orders and funding from. History and the present can only pass judgment on what was done and our current situation. Not intentions and what was planned. It's Yes or No but I also heard there was something about the specs for the tunnel under 162nd Street  and the EL type 3rd rail system and converting the tunnel for subway type 3rd rail guess that added to the cost as well.

But those intentions, even those that came to be, stemmed from thinking about what was to come as well. I will agree that the smartest people are not in charge. I think that's what angers me the most about present day politics. Anyway, I haven't found too much information about the actual specs of the extension. I've only read that it was to link up with the 155th Street station of the 9th Avenue Elevated. I had more to add to this, (even this paragraph ain't coming out as intended) but too many thoughts are flowing through my head at the same time. 

But those intentions, even those that came to be, stemmed from thinking about what was to come as well. I will agree that the smartest people are not in charge. I think that's what angers me the most about present day politics. Anyway, I haven't found too much information about the actual specs of the extension. I've only read that it was to link up with the 155th Street station of the 9th Avenue Elevated. I had more to add to this, (even this paragraph ain't coming out as intended) but too many thoughts are flowing through my head at the same time. 

Indeed. Engineering and Science will always be the pillars of society. From someone that's from both a Architectural (The conceptual, conceptual and Logical) and Engineering (The Logical and Physical) background.. I understand your point on intentions. And I know there are tons of people with great solutions and ideas for innovation. Over last five year's Id say in dealing with Start-up's and investment you start to understand that indeed the smartest people aren't the boss or the person calling the shots it was a hard pill to swallow but necessary nonetheless. But I remember reading about the extension plans and there being issue's with clearance in the tunnel. Feel free to add to it after all this is the place for it  :lol: .

Archived