Trying to get a railroad job for a year.

NYCFan9553

My quest for a railroad career is failing miserably. I've been trying for almost a year now, and still have no prospects. The average job search is 3-6 months. I work in retail, and I'm trying to get out of it. The railroad sounds very exciting and varied. Do you think I should just pursue another career? I've considered trucking or becoming a pilot. I am 25, so I am young enough to pursue something else. I have vested a lot of time and energy though seeking railroad jobs, so I would hate to just give up. 

No don't give up. Some people have tried and finally got in after years of applying. First off keep trying and also try and get a airport gig. Sorry but a retail background isn't going to open any eyes at the RR's.Try getting into a field where saftey is a major policy. Also a job that includes working outdoors in all weather each day of the year including holidays. Working here is a lifestyle itself. Crazy shifts and not much time at home with your family is normal. If your a home body then this isn't the place. Also when you apply , start small at the entry level jobs like coach cleaner or station cleaner and work yourself up. But most importantly keep trying and also think about changing into a job like I mention above. Good luck.

My quest for a railroad career is failing miserably. I've been trying for almost a year now, and still have no prospects. The average job search is 3-6 months. I work in retail, and I'm trying to get out of it. The railroad sounds very exciting and varied. Do you think I should just pursue another career? I've considered trucking or becoming a pilot. I am 25, so I am young enough to pursue something else. I have vested a lot of time and energy though seeking railroad jobs, so I would hate to just give up.

Don't give up. It took me almost 3-4 years to get in. Just keep applying. In my case it came at a time when I really needed it. Get prepared when you get called. Depending on position, the process took a whole year. Glad to say that I passed phase 1. And now I start tomorrow phase 2. Busted my cahoots studying. But have faith. Just keep applying and forget about it.

Archived