Worst lines by you

trainfanrod

It's not about demand as the (5) makes more stops than the (E) does on weekdays and with how busy some of those stops are actually generates more boardings. It's an issue of turnover with the (E) having lower turnover than the (5). To put it in perspective Lex-53rd and Penn Station demand are much more central to (E) crowding than Grand Central or Fulton Street demand is to (5) crowding.

But at Grand Central or Fulton St, (unless they are traveling to the WPR Line or Nostrand Av) if a (4) shows up first, that is what riders are going to go for. With the (E), at Lex/53, riders opt for the (E) to go to Penn Station or to get to Queens quickly. There isn't any other option but the (E).

Do anyone ride the (D) train im curious

I avoid it when possible. I wait too long for it most of the time since the 6 Avenue express service is effectively cut by 50% on weekends, nights, and when there is a service disruption. And they tend to bunch, so if you missed 1, you probably missed another one right before that too.

It’s also not very fast on the West End Line. Too many curves and timers along them slow it down.

Over the course of a typical workday, I'm literally anywhere from World Trade Center to East Harlem (I'm a walking messenger), and the (6) has the most consistent non-rush hour overcrowding. It's bearable coming down from 116th St, but crush loaded by the time it hits 68th St.

Any other line *usually* isn't as overloaded in the middle of the day. The Second Avenue subway should take off some of the pressure, but until it opens, there probably isn't much that can be done to relieve the overcrowding on the (6).

Off-peak, there's additional capacity for more (6) service.

does the (1) skip stops when its late

I dunno about south of 96th St, but if the (1)'s far enough behind schedule, it'll occasionally run express from 96th to 137th.

Yeah, 96th-137th, I've seen a few times. (On Thursday, I had 103rd-137th). I've also seen 96th-72nd-59th-42nd going southbound. 

Yes. It's hit-or-miss for me. Sometimes there's long gaps in express service at 59th heading northbound, and you'll see 4-5 locals before a single express train (either (A) or (D))

I avoid it when possible. I wait too long for it most of the time since the 6 Avenue express service is effectively cut by 50% on weekends, nights, and when there is a service disruption. And they tend to bunch, so if you missed 1, you probably missed another one right before that too.

It’s also not very fast on the West End Line. Too many curves and timers along them slow it down.

The (D) is one of the worst trains IMO and I got so sick of dealing with it that I use alternative methods to get to my destination now (Metro-North), and it's much more reliable.

I used to use it just once a week for a tutoring session uptown and hated it.  Always crowded, VERY unreliable and SLOW, even though it is supposed to be "express". You can get uptown faster at times with the (B), even with it running local up CPW.

Over the course of a typical workday, I'm literally anywhere from World Trade Center to East Harlem (I'm a walking messenger), and the (6) has the most consistent non-rush hour overcrowding. It's bearable coming down from 116th St, but crush loaded by the time it hits 68th St.

Any other line *usually* isn't as overloaded in the middle of the day. The Second Avenue subway should take off some of the pressure, but until it opens, there probably isn't much that can be done to relieve the overcrowding on the (6).

The funny thing is that the (MTA) cut non-rush hour service on the (6) which was a big mistake.  They argued that the loads weren't such that the frequencies were necessary.

The (1) above 96th Street has been rather inconsistent for the past year or two.  Not a day goes by without at least one rush-hour battery run above 137th Street.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of eliminating (9) service in the first place... 

The (1) above 96th Street has been rather inconsistent for the past year or two.  Not a day goes by without at least one rush-hour battery run above 137th Street.  Kind of defeats the whole purpose of eliminating (9) service in the first place... 

It actually makes it a bit easier. Let's say a (1) train got held up in Midtown Manhattan, you can have a battery run north of 96th and the train behind it will be able to pick up all the passengers with no problem (as opposed to worrying whether it's a (1) or (9) train and if it'll stop at your stop in Upper Manhattan). 

Which still doesn't resolve the underlying issue of constant delays and bunching that reverberate up and down the entire line.  If the end result is that stops are being skipped anyway, they might as well just implement peak-direction express service between 96th and 145th.  Outside of that, there's really very little they can do in the medium term.

Which still doesn't resolve the underlying issue of constant delays and bunching that reverberate up and down the entire line.  If the end result is that stops are being skipped anyway, they might as well just implement peak-direction express service between 96th and 145th.  Outside of that, there's really very little they can do in the medium term.

Agreed... 

The thing is, though, that a lot of these battery runs happen in what used to be considered the reverse-peak. I've been on battery runs around say, 9-11am heading northbound, and 7pm heading southbound. A lot of people use the (1) train to get from say, Times Square and Penn Station up to the Upper West Side & Morningside Heights, not to mention Staten Island residents using it from South Ferry.

Another thing to consider is that the express has to merge in and out with the locals at 96th & 145th. So you might actually end up causing more delays than you solve. I think it's better to have the current setup, where trains do battery runs as-needed.

I've taken the (1) for years; the vast majority of battery runs I've witnessed have almost always been in the peak direction.  Battery runs are not meant to be a legitimate, long-term service plan.  Their very existence points to current inadequacies.  As for bottlenecks, they would be no worse than the ones that already exist on the <5>, <6>, or <7>.

I've taken the (1) for years; the vast majority of battery runs I've witnessed have almost always been in the peak direction.  Battery runs are not meant to be a legitimate, long-term service plan.  Their very existence points to current inadequacies.  As for bottlenecks, they would be no worse than the ones that already exist on the <5>, <6>, or <7>.

Well, all I know is I use the (1) almost exclusively in the reverse-peak (most of the times have either been northbound AM peak, or southbound PM peak, though depending on my work schedule I've also taken it middays and northbound PM peak), and I've seen my share of battery runs. Is it more common traveling in the other direction? Probably, but there's a decent amount reverse-peak, due to the fact that the (1) train serves other markets besides Bronx/Upper Manhattan-Midtown.

As for your second point about bottlenecks, fair enough.

Archived