Several City Spans Cited as 'Structurally Defiicent' in New Report

N6 Limited

http://www.ny1.com/nyc/all-boroughs/news/2016/02/19/several-city-spans-cited-as--structurally-defiicent--in-new-report.html

A new report shows some city bridges are in serious need of repair. 

In their annual review of bridge data, the American Road & Transportation Builders Associations says quite a few spans in the city are "structurally defiicent." 

That means the bridges have one or more parts in poor or worse condition.

They add while these bridges aren't imminently dangerous, they hope to help inform the public and policymakers they are in need of repair.

Some of the city bridges mentioned in the report are the Kosciuszko Bridge, Throgs Neck Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, the northbound section of FDR over the East River, and the BQE from South Williamsburg to the Gowanus Canal. 

The Association says nearly 2,000 bridges across the state suffer from deficiencies, and nearly 4,700 bridges don't meet current design standards.

More than $21 billion in federal investments was used to repair state bridges between 2005 and 2014.

Can someone tell me why any exorbitantly tolled MTA crossing is structurally deficient? 

To be fair, the Kosciosko Bridge is being replaced as we speak. I think there might've been some work done on the FDR as well, but I'm not sure if it was that section. (I can't think of any segment where it runs "over the East River")

I believe there are some sections where the northbound roadway is literally over the river. If you look at old aerial shots of Manhattan, parts of the FDR was built on landfill also.

Probably similar to Bridgeport, CT MNR/Amtrak station, which also just skirts the water without traversing the river.

It appears to be built over the water on pilings. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1787458,-73.184216,3a,20.8y,245.78h,89.53t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s9Qw9mndrPtf2R2HgPCVcMw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

Archived