NJ Transit Gets Federal Money for New Buses

Trainspotter

WASHINGTON D.C. (AP) -- New Jersey Transit has received nearly $3 million from the federal government to improve bus service in the southern part of the state.

The transit agency received three separate grants.

One will pay for 24 new buses for Burlington County; one will buy nine buses for Lakewood and the third will buy two for Atlantic City.

TheAssociated Press contributed to this report.

WASHINGTON D.C. (AP) -- New Jersey Transit has received nearly $3 million from the federal government to improve bus service in the southern part of the state.

The transit agency received three separate grants.

One will pay for 24 new buses for Burlington County; one will buy nine buses for Lakewood and the third will buy two for Atlantic City.

TheAssociated Press contributed to this report.

So it's only for community transport busses?

It shouldnt be limited to that. Egg Harbor and Washington TWP needs more buses, both garages need 45s now. Everyday I do the 553 its more and more ppl. Just yesterday I had 109 ppl on my run which use to average 45ppl.

They should be getting more money as soon as ARC is fully approved & funded as a "in a whole" solution to increase capacity everywhere.

- A

It shouldnt be limited to that. Egg Harbor and Washington TWP needs more buses, both garages need 45s now. Everyday I do the 553 its more and more ppl. Just yesterday I had 109 ppl on my run which use to average 45ppl.

I don't think that TWP's bus wash can handle a 45. But they can really use them, the 551 is packed on many trips.

I don't think that TWP's bus wash can handle a 45. But they can really use them, the 551 is packed on many trips.

Serious? You guys need an upgrade. Yeah the 551 can really use them, i know if the 551 was split with Egg Harbor, Egg Harbors woulda made it 45s, the 551 is like the 319. I was tlking to a 551 driver a while back when I had a 45 on the 553 and he was damn you guys seem to always get the new shit. He went inside of it(7182) and he was damn this boy is long.

I know the 410 needs more service i was cursed out by 3 Mexicans because they missed it and the next one wasnt for 2hrs.

Serious? You guys need an upgrade. Yeah the 551 can really use them, i know if the 551 was split with Egg Harbor, Egg Harbors woulda made it 45s, the 551 is like the 319. I was tlking to a 551 driver a while back when I had a 45 on the 553 and he was damn you guys seem to always get the new shit. He went inside of it(7182) and he was damn this boy is long.

I know the 410 needs more service i was cursed out by 3 Mexicans because they missed it and the next one wasnt for 2hrs.

Yeah my dad used to do the 410. It wasn't really busy however it was a Sunday when I rode with him. He also had to move one of the 45's at the AC bus station because a driver parked it in the wrong spot, the he said it was an impressive bus.

On a lighter note I'll be riding with him on the 400/403 tomorrow, so I do hope to take a lot of photos. Also I'm still waiting for the Personel Office in Camden to call so I can start my job. Damn Transit takes forever.

I gotta say after some more thinking that all bus routes could use more service, not just the horribly under-served ones. Walking fast or running just to miss your bus & wait for another 30-45 minutes really does suck. Some routes are very well served at the moment, but some would benefit from even one more bus per hour, bringing the total to 3 instead of 2. Put 4 per hour where possible with the right funding. Get those cars off the road, make mass transit popular, etc etc!

- A

I gotta say after some more thinking that all bus routes could use more service, not just the horribly under-served ones. Walking fast or running just to miss your bus & wait for another 30-45 minutes really does suck. Some routes are very well served at the moment, but some would benefit from even one more bus per hour, bringing the total to 3 instead of 2. Put 4 per hour where possible with the right funding. Get those cars off the road, make mass transit popular, etc etc!

- A

New routes would be great also. My house is located about 5 miles from the 313(Philadelphia-Cape May), 400(Sicklerville-Philadelphia, 403(Turnersville Philadelphia), 315(Philadelphia-Cape May) and the 463(Sicklerville-Woodbury) So even if do manage to get to a bus stop the bus probabally would have left by then forcing me to wait forever.

Also many bus routes only meet up in one place. So if you're in Bridgeton and you want to go to Sicklerville you'll have to go all the way to Camden or Atlantic City and then wait for a bus to bring to Sicklerville. It can take up to 4 hours to get somewhere thats only 45 minutes away by car.

New routes would be great also. My house is located about 5 miles from the 313(Philadelphia-Cape May), 400(Sicklerville-Philadelphia, 403(Turnersville Philadelphia), 315(Philadelphia-Cape May) and the 463(Sicklerville-Woodbury) So even if do manage to get to a bus stop the bus probabally would have left by then forcing me to wait forever.

Also many bus routes only meet up in one place. So if you'e and Bridgeton and you want to go to Sicklerville you'll have to go all the way to Camden or Atlantic City and then wait for a bus to bring to Sicklerville. It can take up to 4 hours to get somewhere thats only 45 minutes away by car.

You're lucky. To just get to trenton via (SEPTA) takes 2 and change, which makes the trip from my house to nyc take 4 hours via mass transit. We can drive there in 2 hours.... But yea, expansion would be good, even shuttles.

- A

Also many bus routes only meet up in one place. So if you're in Bridgeton and you want to go to Sicklerville you'll have to go all the way to Camden or Atlantic City and then wait for a bus to bring to Sicklerville. It can take up to 4 hours to get somewhere thats only 45 minutes away by car.

See if ur in Bridgeton, it would be easier to take the 410 to Walter Rand then 551 it to Sicklerville. But in the end the 410 runs every 2hrs during the day and every 30-35mins in the AM to philly, so in the end the 553 is the way to go.

When i'm next on my way to the city i'll keep an eye out for it at hamilton, newark, and exchange place.

- A

You wouldn't see it in any of those places.....well maybe Hamilton if they still wanna do some South Jersey testing with it. 5201 is a Fairview assigned bus.

The possibility of it being in Newark is very slim unless NJT wants to show it off in front of their headquarters. And you wouldn't see it in Exchange Place because Greenville nor Meadowlands is assigned that bus. I would've seen it if its in Jersey City.....people would call and that call would pass its way down.....

You wouldn't see it in any of those places.....well maybe Hamilton if they still wanna do some South Jersey testing with it. 5201 is a Fairview assigned bus.

The possibility of it being in Newark is very slim unless NJT wants to show it off in front of their headquarters. And you wouldn't see it in Exchange Place because Greenville nor Meadowlands is assigned that bus. I would've seen it if its in Jersey City.....people would call and that call would pass its way down.....

Hey, its the only places i can check so :D!

- A

Archived