ren
Message added by SevenEleven

40px_exams_nyct.png.d716ada25f0f5e3971807cd3eefbfd17.png

Train Operator, Exam No. 7604

List Status:  This list has been established as of September 9, 2018

Pay: Starts at $34.16 and increases to $39.81

Highest List Number Called: For initial Pre-Employment: (Last Reported 3800's) - For Medical: (Last Reported 3800's)

Training: Monday thru Friday, across three 8-hour tours (AMs, PMs, overnights), unless otherwise specified

Next Training Class: 

Resources:

(Updated January 20 ,2022)

2 hours ago, Jay-Oh said:

I’m going to disagree. Yes, you get a chance to clarify the meaning to a superintendent if you don’t put down the correct wording on the test. However; saying they won’t get fired if they get it wrong is incorrect. I have people in my induction that got termed because they got signals wrong on the test, and then got it wrong again when asked to clarify verbally to the Supt.

i mean a whole class got canned cuz they failed the signals.  so i dunno what to say.  it's so easy.....but to each his own.  some folks can't handle the academics

• Replies 13.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, trackerjack said:

i mean a whole class got canned cuz they failed the signals.  so i dunno what to say.  it's so easy.....but to each his own.  some folks can't handle the academics

Ouch must of not studied, as long as you put your mind into something anything is possible. Nobody can help you keep the job but yourself...

30 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

It may be easy, but some people underestimate the test and don’t fully apply themselves. That’s how they fail. I just wanted to make sure that the advice we give to new prospects be sound and beneficial. I will always tell them to strive for perfection when it comes to the signal test, because if they are reassured on the ease of it, they might end up slacking.

47 minutes ago, trackerjack said:

WHOA, how does a whole class get canned for failing signals 👀

6 hours ago, JK1130 said:

T.O! Can you tell me how did you study your signals?
Its so much pressure that if you get wrong 1 signal exam you out of T.O.

I did flash cards. I uses this https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/mta-signals-c86c9b7a-4bbd-4ce6-bf9f-30f184e60db3/deck. Memorize everything verbatim.  

5 hours ago, JK1130 said:

I understand 60-70% signals meaning and how to follow.  TSS keep saying we need to write word to word definition in written test. Thats the problem i,m having right now. some of signals have like long paragraph and right now for some reason i can not memorize them. yesterday i memorized restricted speed and extreme caution 6 points definition. 

Honestly, it takes time and a lot of study to really get the definitions down. 

My trick honestly was to write them out over and over again, Catholic school style.

1 hour ago, Keikyu Motorman said:

Honestly, it takes time and a lot of study to really get the definitions down. 

My trick honestly was to write them out over and over again, Catholic school style.

^ This. It may not work for everyone, but I made it a habit use a flash card and practice reciting 5 to 10 random signal definitions out loud verbatim. If I got it wrong, I “punished” myself by writing down the definition by hand each time. I did this everyday after schoolcar when I got home. 

If you really want it; you’ll find a way to memorize and pass.

13 hours ago, beanz said:

Yea u don't get immediately fired, but u will have to explain yourself and if u explain yourself wrong u will be fired. So best not to have to go through nervously explaining yourself to a superintendent and just get it right in the first place so they don't have to question u.

Seen it myself way back when i started.. They asked for clarification and they still got it wrong they got fired...

That's not a good thing too especially how Supt Girardi had this way of just starting at you with those cold stone eyes...

Hey for those who are concerned about the Signals quiz here's a Hint..

GET TO KNOW your Classmates get phone numbers have study groups you'd be amazed how things will get when folks are all on the same page.

Trust me it worked There was Multiple  study groups very Few Folks failed the signal quiz out of 60 of us i think only three failed...

Those three thought they knew everything anyway , well guess they didn't...

11 hours ago, Schecter said:

Except that AK definition is wrong you aren't calling RCC for permission for an authorized key by

That's what it said? Wow. I also had the flashcards I made myself so I knew the correct definition.  Edit: actually that was the wrong link, this are the flashcards I used https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/mta-signals-1c1abdfd-3ec9-4fef-aca6-6abadfec9580/deck

That one has the right AK definition.  But yeah, that's just something I used but I also wrote down the definition as my tss told me and studied that too. 

Edited by TOSironi

47 minutes ago, TOSironi said:

That's what it said? Wow. I also had the flashcards I made myself so I knew the correct definition.  Edit: actually that was the wrong link, this are the flashcards I used https://www.chegg.com/flashcards/mta-signals-1c1abdfd-3ec9-4fef-aca6-6abadfec9580/deck

That one has the right AK definition.  But yeah, that's just something I used but I also wrote down the definition as my tss told me and studied that too. 

AK = AK47.  u just RUN & GUN!!  who needs perm? Coffee is only for Closers

4 hours ago, goaldigga310 said:

I got my email for the 2nd part medical for the 28th!!!! So nervous any tips for me???

4 hours ago, Amonroe90 said:

Just got my email to part 2 for the 23rd !!! I’m nervous as hell too. 

Just relax. As long as you apply yourself, listen to your instructors and study, you’ll be fine. 
Schoolcar was probably the most fun I’ve had in transit to date. Just hope you have good classmates and learn to help each other out.

On 11/15/2022 at 9:18 PM, Amonroe90 said:

WHOA, how does a whole class get canned for failing signals 👀

If a whole class failed signals, that's more than likely gonna be on the TSS'es teaching. Of course, one or two will fail in classes here and there.

But all? Can't just be that the students don't want to apply themselves.