New York Marathon Service Changes

IAlam

I feel your pain.  Surprisingly (so far) my trips have been drama free, but I stayed in the city over the weekend which helped.  I likely am going to stay in Riverdale for the evening, so I might just opt for Metro-North rather than trying my luck with the BxM1, and certainly not the BxM2.  Even knowing that they're running via Madison, they may not stop at all unless it's the official stops that they make.

I was in Midtown Manhattan earlier; didn't bother with the buses at all. As usual, whatever shuttle service the B9 and B64 were supposedly providing west of 3rd Avenue was non existent and so was the B37, so I just walked to/from Bay Ridge Avenue station. In Bay Ridge, the (R) was the only show in town and surprisingly packed with Marathon spectators, with a large amount from other countries, in addition to the normal weekend crowd.

I was in Midtown Manhattan earlier; didn't bother with the buses at all. As usual, whatever shuttle service the B9 and B64 were supposedly providing west of 3rd Avenue was non existent and so was the B37, so I just walked to/from Bay Ridge Avenue station. In Bay Ridge, the (R) was the only show in town and surprisingly packed with Marathon spectators, with a large amount from other countries, in addition to the normal weekend crowd.

Actually, that was not true; I was out there today, and I was tracking buses, and there was one bus doing the Shore Road-3 Avenue B9/64 Shuttle. 

Actually, that was not true; I was out there today, and I was tracking buses, and there was one bus doing the Shore Road-3 Avenue B9/64 Shuttle. 

Well, it must have been sitting by the high school, because I walked up Bay Ridge Avenue from Shore Road to the (R) train and didn't see a single bus along the way.

Actually I found that basically if you're in Manhattan, it isn't too bad as long as you avoid anything near Central Park, and especially anything on the West Side (or west of 5th Avenue).  I stayed on the East Side yesterday entirely and took the BxM1 home.  What was amazing was how far south they had buses running off of their routes.  I saw an M116, a M106 and an M96 all along 86th street as I was coming back from the Bronx on the BxM6.  The M79 was on detour too but I'm not sure where (perhaps 86th street as well) as the Trasverse was closed.  The buses were a mess basically starting from Saturday.  I went to Whole Foods to pick up some things for brunch for the apartment in the city and after I got the food, I checked to see if any M101s were coming, and the closest one was 20 minutes away.  I said screw that... Walked over to Lex and got the subway.

Archived