New York Marathon Service Changes

IAlam

X1, X10 and X17C buses rerouted from Narrows Rd South, Verrazano Bridge and Central Park South

6 AM to 3:30 PM, Sunday, Nov 6

Due to the TCS New York City Marathon, buses are rerouted through New Jersey.

Show Reroute Details

X1 - Manhattan bound (6:30 am to 3 pm)

Regular route to Narrows Rd South at Steuben St (last stop in Staten Island)

Left on Narrows Rd North

Via Staten Island Expy, Goethals Bridge, New Jersey Tpke and Lincoln Tunnel

Exit at 34 St

Right on 34 St

Left on West St

Left on Battery Pl then regular route

X1 - Staten Island bound (6 am to 3 pm)

Regular route to Battery Pl at West St

Continue on West St

Right on 40 St

Via the Lincoln Tunnel, New Jersey Tpke, Goethals Bridge and Staten Island Epwy

Exit at Richmond Av

Left on Lamberts Ln

Right on Richmond Av 

Left on Hylan Blvd

Left on Steuben St

Last stop on Hylan Blvd at Narrows Rd South

X10 - Manhattan bound (6:30 am to 3 pm)

Regular route to Slossan Av at Schmidts Ln (last stop) and then rerouted through New Jersey.

Via the Lincoln Tunnel exit onto 34 St

Right on 34 St

Left on West St

Left onto Battery Pl then regular route

X10 - Staten Island bound  (6 am to 3 pm)

Continue on West St 

Right on 40 St

Via the Lincoln Tunnel, New Jersey Tpke, Goethals Bridge and then the Staten Island Epwy

Left on Slossan Av

Left on North Gannon Av then regular route

X17C - Manhattan bound (6:30 am to 3 pm)

Regular route to Richmond Av at Lamberts Ln

Continue on Richmond Av to the Goethals Bridge Rd North

Via the Goethals Bridge, the New Jersey Tpke, the Lincoln Tunnel and exit at 34 St 

Right on 34 St

Left on West St 

Left on Battery Pl then regular route.

X17C - Staten Island bound  (6 am to 3 pm)

Continue on West St to 40 St into the Lincoln Tunnel

Via the New Jersey Tpke, the Goethals Bridge, the Staten Island Expy 

Exit at Richmond Av

Left on Lamberts Ln

Right on Richmond Av then regular route

I'm surprised that the MTA isn't using the Holland Tunnel this year. Especially since all buses are still going Downtown. It's going to end up with people having very long commutes.  :mellow:

The problem with the MTA is that it waits until almost the last minute to issue information on the marathon, West Indian day parade and other events that require a major re-route of bus service. This is wrong as information such as this should be provided to the public at least more than one -two days before the event occurs, however, most of the time it usually posted at the start of the event. No body wants to have to walk a considerable distance when they find out that "suddenly" the bus was short-turned even though the MTA knew  about the event, days and weeks before it was scheduled.

Going back to the late 1990's, I was working Marathon Sunday and the MTA tried to tell us that the S/53 was no longer running over the Verrazano Bridge at 6 AM when the bridge was closing at 7 AM. I called the MTA number and they told Castleton to send the bus over the bridge. The passengers were able to ride the last S/53 to Staten Island before the bridge was closed.

Truthfully, I have no respect for some of the persons that post the re-routes on the MTA bus and subway information website as it is obvious that they do not know our city (or for that matter) care to know which roads are streets and which ones are avenues (for example). This has been going on for years and they do not care to provide correct information to the public as they just post it and let the complaints fall upon the deaf ears of the supervisors.  

The problem with the MTA is that it waits until almost the last minute to issue information on the marathon, West Indian day parade and other events that require a major re-route of bus service. This is wrong as information such as this should be provided to the public at least more than one -two days before the event occurs, however, most of the time it usually posted at the start of the event. No body wants to have to walk a considerable distance when they find out that "suddenly" the bus was short-turned even though the MTA knew  about the event, days and weeks before it was scheduled.

The bus destination signs should also include the proper readings for the Marathon short turns and other events. For example the B9 has a useless reading for "AVENUE M STA E 16 ST" in the system, but somehow doesn't have a "5 AV" or " 60 ST-3 AV" code for when the Marathon happens or when the Norwegian Day Parade closes off 3rd Av and Bay Ridge Av... <_<

I'm surprised that the MTA isn't using the Holland Tunnel this year. Especially since all buses are still going Downtown. It's going to end up with people having very long commutes.  :mellow:

The Holland Tunnel is a nightmare on weekends, and then they gotta fight their way to the turnpike. They are better off going through the Lincoln and get a straight shot that way.

At the very least, go directly from the Lincoln Tunnel to 50th Street (or as close to 57th as they can get) and then do the regular route in reverse (i.e. drop off at the usual pick-up stops and pick up at the usual drop-off stops).

The problem with the MTA is that it waits until almost the last minute to issue information on the marathon, West Indian day parade and other events that require a major re-route of bus service. This is wrong as information such as this should be provided to the public at least more than one -two days before the event occurs, however, most of the time it usually posted at the start of the event. No body wants to have to walk a considerable distance when they find out that "suddenly" the bus was short-turned even though the MTA knew about the event, days and weeks before it was scheduled.

Going back to the late 1990's, I was working Marathon Sunday and the MTA tried to tell us that the S/53 was no longer running over the Verrazano Bridge at 6 AM when the bridge was closing at 7 AM. I called the MTA number and they told Castleton to send the bus over the bridge. The passengers were able to ride the last S/53 to Staten Island before the bridge was closed.

Truthfully, I have no respect for some of the persons that post the re-routes on the MTA bus and subway information website as it is obvious that they do not know our city (or for that matter) care to know which roads are streets and which ones are avenues (for example). This has been going on for years and they do not care to provide correct information to the public as they just post it and let the complaints fall upon the deaf ears of the supervisors.

The information is also inaccurate. For example I checked the (MTA) website for future events, and for buses, I change the settings to see ALL re-routes because they will only post some of them. For instance, 3rd Avenue will be closed above 86th street. This is noted for the M101 but none of the express buses that pick-up along 3rd are shown, so where are they re-routing them? Ridiculous.

The information is also inaccurate. For example I checked the (MTA) website for future events, and for buses, I change the settings to see ALL re-routes because they will only post some of them. For instance, 3rd Avenue will be closed above 86th street. This is noted for the M101 but none of the express buses that pick-up along 3rd are shown, so where are they re-routing them? Ridiculous.

You're wrong.

1. 3rd Avenue IS OPEN tomorrow. Just like last year, it will be open this year, because the M15 northbound will be using 3rd Avenue all the way up from Midtown.

M15/M15 SBS - Northbound buses rerouted from 1 Av at 53 St to 128 St

8:30 AM to 4 PM, Sunday, Nov 6

Due to the TCS New York City Marathon, buses run via 3 Av making corresponding stops.

Show Reroute Details

2. The M101 is rerouted because it can't use 125th Street to 5th Avenue, where the marathon takes place, hence why it's being rerouted from 3rd & 86th to Fredrick Douglass & 125th. So it has to use Central Park West & the 85th/86th Street Transverse to get to the West Side.

3. 3rd Avenue is NOT affected by any of the marathon happenings, the marathon will be taking place along 1st and 5th Avenues. The only thing that's really affecting 3rd Avenue will be a lot of traffic. The course map is here.

The only Bronx express bus affected is the BxM2, which will have to take 8th Avenue up from 34th to 42nd because of an unrelated event.

It's best to check things out a little more carefully.

They announced the B57 will have split service, (because they can't get past Bedford Ave.) but that is a joke based on past practice and my observations on bus time since that app started.

Because of interlining, operators pull out, make 1 or 2 trips and pull back in.  Therefore the buses stuck on the other end (west of Bedford when the race starts) will make their way back to the depot probably via the BQE to Metropolitan Ave. then local streets.  Later when buses pull out, nobody goes to the west side of the route.  They all stay on the east side and there is no coverage at all on the west side because supervision does not tell anybody to cover that end of the route.

You can check bustime throughout the day tomorrow and see what I'm referring to.

You're wrong.

1. 3rd Avenue IS OPEN tomorrow. Just like last year, it will be open this year, because the M15 northbound will be using 3rd Avenue all the way up from Midtown.

2. The M101 is rerouted because it can't use 125th Street to 5th Avenue, where the marathon takes place, hence why it's being rerouted from 3rd & 86th to Fredrick Douglass & 125th. So it has to use Central Park West & the 85th/86th Street Transverse to get to the West Side.

3. 3rd Avenue is NOT affected by any of the marathon happenings, the marathon will be taking place along 1st and 5th Avenues. The only thing that's really affecting 3rd Avenue will be a lot of traffic. The course map is here.

The only Bronx express bus affected is the BxM2, which will have to take 8th Avenue up from 34th to 42nd because of an unrelated event.

It's best to check things out a little more carefully.

I'm pretty sure express buses will be affected in some capacity. The last two years I've been caught in it at some point, so even if they are running all the way up 3rd, I'm highly doubtful that those are all of the detours. When you sit on a bus for over an hour trying to get to the first stop during one of these things then maybe you'll understand where I'm coming from. Aside from that they've rerouted buses for planned events continously without posting them online, so for the one time I am wrong I can live with that, but the point stands that they post inaccurate info (or don't post it at all) given how many times I've been burned. Case in point... Every year they have that Brazilian parade, they re-route the BxM2. They take down the info online but keep the bus re-routed (who knows where) HOURS after the event is ended. That BxM2 detour you mentioned... Don't trust it either... They sometimes just keep them on 8th and re-route them until 63rd and Broadway. Takes too long to come back over to 6th (have been burned with that too).

Ultimately passengers should not have to play a guessing game of where buses will run and question how accurate info will be but of course you would defend them as usual. Not really surprising.

They announced the B57 will have split service, (because they can't get past Bedford Ave.) but that is a joke based on past practice and my observations on bus time since that app started.

Because of interlining, operators pull out, make 1 or 2 trips and pull back in.  Therefore the buses stuck on the other end (west of Bedford when the race starts) will make their way back to the depot probably via the BQE to Metropolitan Ave. then local streets.  Later when buses pull out, nobody goes to the west side of the route.  They all stay on the east side and there is no coverage at all on the west side because supervision does not tell anybody to cover that end of the route.

You can check bustime throughout the day tomorrow and see what I'm referring to.

It's a good thing I won't have to take the B57 tomorrow. I sometimes use that bus to get home from Downtown Brooklyn (and I'm pretty sure whatever happens during the day will have a ripple effect into the evening hours too).

Is that the case with the other routes too?

It's a good thing I won't have to take the B57 tomorrow. I sometimes use that bus to get home from Downtown Brooklyn (and I'm pretty sure whatever happens during the day will have a ripple effect into the evening hours too).Is that the case with the other routes too?

Well they already had streets closed today off and on. My BxM2 was slightly delayed because they close off parts of 57th street the day before the Marathon but only for parts of the day and the (MTA) won't post those changes online, so from what I've experienced, in some cases buses will do their own thing.

Well they already had streets closed today off and on. My BxM2 was slightly delayed because they close off parts of 57th street the day before the Marathon but only for parts of the day and the (MTA) won't post those changes online, so from what I've experienced, in some cases buses will do their own thing.

I've had this experience as well. On weekends, it might as well be the wild west, with no dispatchers around, every bus does its own thing. I've had B/O's ask passengers "anyone know if 5th Ave is open? They aren't telling us anything". Ridiculous.

At the very least, go directly from the Lincoln Tunnel to 50th Street (or as close to 57th as they can get) and then do the regular route in reverse (i.e. drop off at the usual pick-up stops and pick up at the usual drop-off stops).

Honestly, for the X17, I would just have buses run the X17J route for simplicity's sake (the buses actually already say "via New Jersey" for some strange reason)

They don't care about being accurate... As long as "something" was posted letting riders know that there will be changes, that's sufficient enough to them.... If accuracy isn't a priority, then I as a rider of the system won't put 100% stock in the information being posted.... This is where knowing the rest of the system helps immensely; even if you have to take an extra mode or two..... I'm not going anywhere today, but (if I were) all I'd have to do is take a hot second to look at the marathon (in this particular case) route & mentally juxtapose it with wherever I'm going, and do w/e I have to do to get around.... That's never been a problem for me.... I'll never fathom those that's been living in this city for far longer than I have, and are ONLY cognizant of the bus(es) and/or train in their immediate area.....

To be perfectly honest, I tend to get a kick out of those that walk around like chickens with their heads cut off [especially RR pax], whenever some service change affects their "normal" commute..... I can understand out of towners, and to an extent, these NYC transients.... But native NY'ers, come on.....

Honestly, for the X17, I would just have buses run the X17J route for simplicity's sake (the buses actually already say "via New Jersey" for some strange reason)

Agreed

But there needs to be a legitimate bus map for Marathon service , or allow passengers to track buses off route. 

Agreed

But there needs to be a legitimate bus map for Marathon service , or allow passengers to track buses off route.

The marathon is one day.

So by this logic, there needs to be a map for every parade that disrupts bus service in some form or fashion.....

Good luck with that one...

The marathon is one day.

So by this logic, there needs to be a map for every parade that disrupts bus service in some form or fashion.....

Good luck with that one...

I'd suggest a live service map, it may be a lot of work but its definitely needed. 

I've had this experience as well. On weekends, it might as well be the wild west, with no dispatchers around, every bus does its own thing. I've had B/O's ask passengers "anyone know if 5th Ave is open? They aren't telling us anything". Ridiculous.

Well as I expected, the info on the website is WRONG.  The BxM2 buses aren't even running on the West Side (not even via 8th Avenue).  They're running down Madison skipping all stops except for the last three (Madison & 80th, Madison & 84th and Madison & 99th).  Just saw one a little while ago on Madison.  I can only hope the bus that I need will be running where I expect it to be.  I imagine the QM buses are doing something similar...

Well as I expected, the info on the website is WRONG.  The BxM2 buses aren't even running on the West Side (not even via 8th Avenue).  They're running down Madison skipping all stops except for the last three (Madison & 80th, Madison & 84th and Madison & 99th).  Just saw one a little while ago on Madison.  I can only hope the bus that I need will be running where I expect it to be.  I imagine the QM buses are doing something similar...

Shocking development... LMAO !

I'd suggest a live service map, it may be a lot of work but its definitely needed.

Bus Trek, which dispatchers use, shows all buses, whether on route or off route or not in service. So it is possible to allow us to see buses off route...not that the MTA cares to do that.

The MTA is clearly trying to mess with riders.

I got off the B46 today at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, to catch the Q59. I realized that there was a detour because of the marathon route passing through the area. I get to the stop, and it says that the Q59 does not stop there, to wait at Washington Plaza (for those who don't know, is another name for Williamsburg Bridge Plaza). Cool, the only thing is, that there's 4 bus bays. Am I gonna have to play a game to guess which bay the bus will stop at?

I decide to wait for a Q59 and then ask where the bus is suppose to stop. So, a bus gets there, and the BO tells me that he's not picking up. But I quickly ask him that I just want to know where the bus stops to Rego Park. He didn't know, so he told me to go to the dispatch at the office back there. However, the damn window said "LUNCH" and nobody was there. I walk around to see a sign, and then I see a guy with a clipboard, so I guess, he must be a dispatcher. I asked him if he was the dispatcher (to which he replied yes), and then I asked him if he knows where the Q59 to Rego Park stops. He said to ask the driver, and I told him, that I already asked him, and the BO told me to ask you. He then replies "He works the 59 and he doesn't know where he's suppose to pickup?". I was perplexed to even hear him say that, because he's suppose to know, but then he tells me "The 59 will probably show up over there (to my right, facing the bridge). Ask one of those drivers over there when they pass, that's their depot". That's when I realized that he probably was a Flatbush dispatcher, since he was mainly supervising the B44 and the B46 for the most part (but also somewhat surpervising the GA routes as well). 

A B39 shows up, so I ask the BO. He tells me that the Q59 is making its first and last stop over there at Broadway/Roebling Street. I told them that there was a sign there that said that the Q59 is not stopping there, and that it says to wait at Washington Plaza. He replies by telling me that all of that is Washington Plaza. He told me he worked the 59 earlier, and that's what he was suppose to do (he eventually let the dispatcher know). I make my way back to Roebling, and then a Q59 that I was tracking earlier was already on layover (and there were people waiting, for whatever reason not even aware of that sign). After a while, he starts up the bus, put the sign up, and he picks up riders from there. Oh, and the BO didn't even go on the actual detour, he took the "shortcut" (which I used to get burned by for months last year). 

So, who posted that sign, and WHY THE HELL WAS IT POSTED?!?! (It was in those typical MTA notice with the fill-ins). That made no sense; I lost my patience and I'm pretty sure I lost brain cells in the process!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I lost $2.75 on the Q59 because of the farebox not granting me a transfer (from the B46). Now I have to call and wait a ridiculous amount of time to get my info and the incident (which also takes up time), so they can take 2 weeks or more just to send me a Metrocard, which I would have to merge with my existing one after I get it by mail.  

Shocking development... LMAO !

Yeah, you see that detour they put up currently isn't even possible given how many streets are closed off west of 5th Avenue.  I went to Parkchester today and the BxM6 was running up Madison to 86th and coming over to 3rd that way, and missed no stops which was a shocker.  Coming back we took 2nd to 86th and then over to 5th and down.  By way of using that I could see that the BxM2 would be stuck in too much traffic.  When they realize that the West Side will be a mess, Yonkers just has the BxM2 totally avoid it and they run via Madison, which means that they carry air, as anyone waiting on 6th or further west gets burned.  I found this out the hard way years ago.  Was freezing cold out and I must've missed two BxM2 buses because they had the wrong info posted.  By the time a third bus was due it was clear where they were running, so I went up to Madison & 80th and got it. I was so pissed that I refused to dip my card.  The B/O who I know agreed that the detour info was egregious, but they continue to post the wrong info for these events just the same.   

The MTA is clearly trying to mess with riders.

I got off the B46 today at Williamsburg Bridge Plaza, to catch the Q59. I realized that there was a detour because of the marathon route passing through the area. I get to the stop, and it says that the Q59 does not stop there, to wait at Washington Plaza (for those who don't know, is another name for Williamsburg Bridge Plaza). Cool, the only thing is, that there's 4 bus bays. Am I gonna have to play a game to guess which bay the bus will stop at?

I decide to wait for a Q59 and then ask where the bus is suppose to stop. So, a bus gets there, and the BO tells me that he's not picking up. But I quickly ask him that I just want to know where the bus stops to Rego Park. He didn't know, so he told me to go to the dispatch at the office back there. However, the damn window said "LUNCH" and nobody was there. I walk around to see a sign, and then I see a guy with a clipboard, so I guess, he must be a dispatcher. I asked him if he was the dispatcher (to which he replied yes), and then I asked him if he knows where the Q59 to Rego Park stops. He said to ask the driver, and I told him, that I already asked him, and the BO told me to ask you. He then replies "He works the 59 and he doesn't know where he's suppose to pickup?". I was perplexed to even hear him say that, because he's suppose to know, but then he tells me "The 59 will probably show up over there (to my right, facing the bridge). Ask one of those drivers over there when they pass, that's their depot". That's when I realized that he probably was a Flatbush dispatcher, since he was mainly supervising the B44 and the B46 for the most part (but also somewhat surpervising the GA routes as well). 

A B39 shows up, so I ask the BO. He tells me that the Q59 is making its first and last stop over there at Broadway/Roebling Street. I told them that there was a sign there that said that the Q59 is not stopping there, and that it says to wait at Washington Plaza. He replies by telling me that all of that is Washington Plaza. He told me he worked the 59 earlier, and that's what he was suppose to do (he eventually let the dispatcher know). I make my way back to Roebling, and then a Q59 that I was tracking earlier was already on layover (and there were people waiting, for whatever reason not even aware of that sign). After a while, he starts up the bus, put the sign up, and he picks up riders from there. Oh, and the BO didn't even go on the actual detour, he took the "shortcut" (which I used to get burned by for months last year). 

So, who posted that sign, and WHY THE HELL WAS IT POSTED?!?! (It was in those typical MTA notice with the fill-ins). That made no sense; I lost my patience and I'm pretty sure I lost brain cells in the process!

Oh, and to add insult to injury, I lost $2.75 on the Q59 because of the farebox not granting me a transfer (from the B46). Now I have to call and wait a ridiculous amount of time to get my info and the incident (which also takes up time), so they can take 2 weeks or more just to send me a Metrocard, which I would have to merge with my existing one after I get it by mail.  

I feel your pain.  Surprisingly (so far) my trips have been drama free, but I stayed in the city over the weekend which helped.  I likely am going to stay in Riverdale for the evening, so I might just opt for Metro-North rather than trying my luck with the BxM1, and certainly not the BxM2.  Even knowing that they're running via Madison, they may not stop at all unless it's the official stops that they make.

The Holland Tunnel is a nightmare on weekends, and then they gotta fight their way to the turnpike. They are better off going through the Lincoln and get a straight shot that way.

I can back him up on that. I was in the Holland Tunnel yesterday morning (Saturday November 5th) and it was a nightmare trying to enter the tunnel in Manhattan.

Archived