MTA Head Orders 'Top to Bottom' Review of Crippling Subway Delays

Lance

post-2642-0-77507600-1498061304_thumb.jpg
The head of the MTA has ordered a "top to bottom" review of the recent subway problems that have left commuters exhausted and frustrated. MTA Acting Executive Director Ronnie Hakim announced at a board meeting Wednesday she's ordering a review of the delays and the MTA's response to them. 

"We understand that everybody is frustrated with this," said Hakim, adding that the MTA is working to accelerate the replacement of aging signals that keep failing on the subway.

Read more: Source

The head of the MTA has ordered a "top to bottom" review of the recent subway problems that have left commuters exhausted and frustrated. MTA Acting Executive Director Ronnie Hakim announced at a board meeting Wednesday she's ordering a review of the delays and the MTA's response to them. 
"We understand that everybody is frustrated with this," said Hakim, adding that the MTA is working to accelerate the replacement of aging signals that keep failing on the subway.

Read more: Source

That's nice, but how can they even be trusted with "accelerating" them when workers were busted falsifying reports not that long ago? 

So wait the subway delays is only when there's something causing it(signal probs, mech. probs) or everyday delays (held by dispatch, passengers holding doors) or both.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Both. The idea is to reduce all track, train, and signal-related delays.

I saw that. The problem remains the same though: how do you provide service to those affected by these outages? The MTA is rolling out all the stops in anticipation of the upcoming Canarsie shutdown in 2019 and is hoping that it's enough to handle displaced (L) line riders. When all is said and done, this will be a three-year planning period for an 18-month shutdown. Similar steps would have to be done for other projects of that nature if not more. With the Manhattan trunks and the Queens Blvd line as major areas where maintenance work and signal/track upgrades are desperately needed, even more effort may need to be put into this, even if these proposed shutdowns will last significantly less than on the Canarsie line. No matter how you slice it, should they move to more long-term line closures, it will be a daunting task for the MTA to reroute service around these outages and provide enough alternate service for displaced riders.

Man, this year is when we all fight the MTA. Last year, believe me there was none of this "Cuomo, fund the MTA", people are just getting fed up with this crap and everybody sees it. Yesterday, the MTA apologized on Twitter cause their 1930's era signal system malfunctioned and caused extensive delays on the B division and the comments were all hate and rightfully so. Some people even hopped off the train and walked back to the next station cause they were so fed up. MTA has to realize they can't be providing this type of service with such unreliability. Shit piles up, and when the hatch can no longer hold all of it, it breaks and all hell comes raining down. On the same hand, with such a large scale operation, shit will happen but it's becoming all too regular. We see it not only on our subways and buses but LIRR as well, oddly MNRR not as much.........Anyways, to wrap this up, they can't be all talk and no show and hopefully the public's view of them changes. Can you imagine people saying it's all good MTA after a delay cause I sure can't.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

Archived