Will I Be Called For T/O Before the List Expires in September?

Globetrotter

I took the Train Operator exam a few years ago and scored 76. My list number is 10,778. Transit has been calling people for years, and they are up to list number 9,600.

Do you think I will be called before the list expires on September 19?

I took the Train Operator exam a few years ago and scored 76. My list number is 10,778. Transit has been calling people for years, and they are up to list number 9,600.

Who knows. All train operator classes for the foreseeable future are being called from the most recent promotional list. Worst(or best) case scenario is that they exhaust the promotional list and rehire again from open competitive test from '08 until they establish the list from the most recent exam...

Who knows. All train operator classes for the foreseeable future are being called from the most recent promotional list. Worst(or best) case scenario is that they exhaust the promotional list and rehire again from open competitive test from '08 until they establish the list from the most recent exam.

Definitely not good news for me.

No one can answer that for you as hiring needs are fluid, and how many get called to fill a class depends on the how those called down for drug test & medical prove to be (ie if they still want the job, and if they do, can they pass the medical and pre-employment process).

Hopefully you took the most recent T/O test also, so that if they don't get to you, you'll be on the next list (assuming you passed)

I mean HELL have faith. I know for a fact you never had any idea your list number would be so close to being called so you never know. Be paitent but while you wait never stop applying to other positions trust me time will fly and before you know it you'll be in there.

If you are talking about the last open competitive that was giving back in 2009 (Exam 8098) that list expired about 5 months ago.They are hiring promotion to T/O now which in that case you missed out. Also with a score that low I don't think there was any chance of getting hired since the lists are only good for 4yrs unless they extended it for any reason like they did in Sep 2016 (It was certified in Sep 2012).

I'm off of the 8098 list and have been on the job approaching 5yrs now.

Did you take the current open competitive test for Train Operator. The filling for that was last fall and they have been giving exams over several dates the past 2 months.

If you are talking about the last open competitive that was giving back in 2009 (Exam 8098) that list expired about 5 months ago.They are hiring promotion to T/O now which in that case you missed out. Also with a score that low I don't think there was any chance of getting hired since the lists are only good for 4yrs unless they extended it for any reason like they did in Sep 2016 (It was certified in Sep 2012).

I'm off of the 8098 list and have been on the job approaching 5yrs now.

Did you take the current open competitive test for Train Operator. The filling for that was last fall and they have been giving exams over several dates the past 2 months.

I'm actually speaking on behalf of my brother, who says that he took the T/O test on Sep 19, 2012. The list expires this Sep 19.

I'm actually speaking on behalf of my brother, who says that he took the T/O test on Sep 19, 2012. The list expires this Sep 19.

Are you sure it was a T/O test? If I recall no T/O test was given on that day. That same month the exam from 2009 (8098) was certified by DCAS and they started hiring from that September. He may be getting confused with the date it was certified and started hiring from which was in September 2012 but that list is no longer active as of Feburary 2017.

I'm pretty sure there were no exams given for T/O (open competitive or promotional) given in 2012.

Currently the only active list for Train Operator are promotionals right now which they just started hiring off that list from back in February.

With the list number you stated that HAS to be from the exam (8098) which was giving in 2009 which I stated is no longer active. That list is history.

• 2 weeks later...

8098 Expires Sept 17 or 19 of 2017..

I'm off 8098 as well.

They are not hiring off that list anymore...

Even though it was extended they can trash the list at anytime which they did. They are using the promotion to T/O list now. When that list is finished they will start calling from the new open competitive test which was given this past June.

They are not hiring off that list anymore...

Even though it was extended they can trash the list at anytime which they did. They are using the promotion to T/O list now. When that list is finished they will start calling from the new open competitive test which was given this past June.

I agree they are not hiring from 8098 anymore supposedly but, they are taking people back that failed the first or second practical.  Most things are variables with MTA.  If they need you they will call..  They have even moved the same requirement to nyc.gov for LIRR with the same requirement 1/12 of the wait.. MTA is pretty f**ked up these day's.

All and all I'm in schoolcar and it's NOT a dream come true!

• 1 month later...

I agree they are not hiring from 8098 anymore supposedly but, they are taking people back that failed the first or second practical.  Most things are variables with MTA.  If they need you they will call..  They have even moved the same requirement to nyc.gov for LIRR with the same requirement 1/12 of the wait.. MTA is pretty f**ked up these day's.

All and all I'm in schoolcar and it's NOT a dream come true!

Care to elaborate why it is NOT a dream come true for someone who has a dream for it to come true? I hope that our dreams do not turn into complete and total nightmares!  :o  :o

• 5 weeks later...
On 9/21/2017 at 4:00 PM, JV620 said:

Care to elaborate why it is NOT a dream come true for someone who has a dream for it to come true? I hope that our dreams do not turn into complete and total nightmares!  :o  :o

The variables that you will get a good teacher is low.  Everyone can't teach.  Most are running from the TSS job.  You look like your a B/O.  You have a good fall back plan.  90 percent of my class were coming from the street.  15 percent remain.  We are called the walking dead.  (Constant state of jet lag and no one trusts you).  It's bitter sweet to say the least.  

That's a ton more info than anyone gets walking into this hell.  Pray and get holy water from the grotto you might see some of my classmates there on Sunday.  They will fill you in on the rest. break.gif

On 10/20/2017 at 8:49 PM, MTATrainFuture said:

The variables that you will get a good teacher is low.  Everyone can't teach.  Most are running from the TSS job.  You look like your a B/O.  You have a good fall back plan.  90 percent of my class were coming from the street.  15 percent remain.  We are called the walking dead.  (Constant state of jet lag and no one trusts you).  It's bitter sweet to say the least.  

That's a ton more info than anyone gets walking into this hell.  Pray and get holy water from the grotto you might see some of my classmates there on Sunday.  They will fill you in on the rest. break.gif

Appreciate the information MTA. I am a bus operator at heart, yes. It's in my blood and I have been doing it for quite some time now, but I would like to take a crack at T/O. The cliche is true though, ole Blue Eyes was right when he said "...if I can make it there, I am gonna make it anywhere...". 

BOSS tomorrow and let the chips fall where they may. 

On 10/22/2017 at 10:53 PM, JV620 said:

Appreciate the information MTA. I am a bus operator at heart, yes. It's in my blood and I have been doing it for quite some time now, but I would like to take a crack at T/O. The cliche is true though, ole Blue Eyes was right when he said "...if I can make it there, I am gonna make it anywhere...". 

BOSS tomorrow and let the chips fall where they may. 

Good luck but, dream job "Hahaha"

If you love your job save yourself the aggravation.   Or try it..  You have nothing to lose because your not coming from the street.

Archived