Overheated subway train sends sparks onto Midtown tracks, delays service

Via Garibaldi 8

5 minutes ago, RailRunRob said:

Are you going to jump everytime someones say's boo or the wind blows?  This is the new reality are we really going to disrupt our way of life? So much cowardice in this generation. This is a basic law of the world man.. Fear = power

1. Keep others in suspended terror: cultivate an air of unpredictability
  2. Being predictable gives control to others.
  3. Behavior that isn’t consistent will wear people out, and they’ll stop trying to explain things.
  4. When used to the extreme, you’ll intimidate and terrorize.

These are inserts from a book used quite abit in business the Art of war another with some of the same premises.  There's just going to be a point in life where were just going to have to man up and adapt. It's the cost of freedom you can't stop everyone 100% of the time and you can't live life behind a wall.  America isnt America at that point. Just my take and I'm not going to stop living..  Not saying we shouldn't be more aware

This is about using commonsense, not "standing up to terror". Give me a break. Only a fool wouldn't look to make changes that would better protect people.  As an example, after the latest terror attack, the NYPD is already taking steps to protect people using the bike path.  

13 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

This is about using commonsense, not "standing up to terror". Give me a break. Only a fool wouldn't look to make changes that would better protect people.  As an example, after the latest terror attack, the NYPD is already taking steps to protect people using the bike path.  

And they're going to do that I'm sure and they should a buffer just like in Times Square after that car attack, not my point!  You take the steps plan and prepare but you live life. You don't show weakness and cowardice to much of it going around. All you have to do nowadays is make someone a little uncomfortable with something different and they become unhinged. Anything different than the norm and that's it.  Back to the R46's they have a switch to open doors from the Cab that prob doesn't work at the loss of power or if anything gets severed for whatever reason. The cars have less than 10 years left should they spend millions to upgrade the cars? Shrugs if the Feds are paying sure way not? You start the petition and I'll sign.

1 minute ago, RailRunRob said:

And they're going to do that I'm sure and they should a buffer just like in Times Square after that car attack, not my point!  You take the steps plan and prepare but you live life. You don't show weakness and cowardice to much of it going around. All you have to do nowadays is make someone a little uncomfortable with something different and they become unhinged. Anything different than the norm and that's it.  Back to the R46's they have a switch to open doors from the Cab that prob doesn't work at the loss of power or if anything gets severed for whatever reason. The cars have less than 10 years left should they spend millions to upgrade the cars? Shrugs if the Feds are paying sure way not? You start the petition and I'll sign.

I'm not starting anything because I don't ride the things.  You can feel free to step on them though since you're all about living your life the same as yesterday. :D

4 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I'm not starting anything because I don't ride the things.  You can feel free to step on them though since you're all about living your life the same as yesterday. :D

I just got off an R68(B) about an hour ago.  I'm out on these lines. Put my money where my mouth is.

26 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

Don't be ridiculous.  We live in a completely different world now where we have crazy people killing people for sport.  Sometimes I wonder if people actually think about what's going on in the world or ever pick up a newspaper.  Just imagine some sicko gets on a locked subway car and decides to go on a rampage.  It's already happened before here with the R68 cars.  The guy went on a rampage stabbing anyone that he could.  Are people really supposed to sit back and wait for the lovely train crew to come and unlock the doors? Give me a break. Better yet, since you think it's so okay to have them locked, what would you do if some nut job was in a locked car with you in it? You'd wait for the subway crew to rescue you?  BS.

There needs to be something done about that.  Instead we read an article about people being trapped in a locked car on the verge of passing out, and the (MTA) does its best to avoid discussing the issue in hopes of it going away, but they can't possibly be that gullible to believe that having cars locked like this despite all of the reasons why it's done is ideal given the fact that we live in the age of terrorism.  You apparently haven't been in that situation, so it's easy to sit back and judge. For people that have been stuck in those locked cars I think they see things very differently and I don't know why on earth anyone can't understand that.  If we're talking about a concern for loss of life or passengers being injured, having the doors locked is just as much of a hazard as having them unlocked. The only thing you could possible argue is that one could result in more injuries or death.

I lived in Italy when Spain was attacked and those people were killed on the train. I remember very well what that was like and fear across the continent at the time.  We've had several attacks here and luckily a few weren't carried out successfully.  That alone should prompt changes in this whole business as usual nonsense.  If anything there should be federal funding available to refrofit those cars until new ones can come in.

You lived in Italy while I hung out in Bedford-Stuyvesant,  Brownsville,  Harlem,  Roosevelt,  Newark and Trenton in the sixties,  seventies, and eighties.  Get real. Terrorists in all but name. I'm just going to leave this here and wait because I'm sure that there's posters out here who understand where I'm coming from. Sit on a snowbird at at Jackson Avenue middle for a couple of hours on a Friday or Saturday night or pass by the Van Dyke projects and listen to the gunfire coming from whatever direction and wonder if you are the target.  I understand your point of view but I think I've given you too much credit at times. You mentioned having the storm doors locked in car on a train. I can imagine the destruction a criminal could do in that situation. I was involved in an incident on an R46 consist that began around 96th St. and ended with police entering our car at 59th. The perpetrator, who claimed to be armed, ended up almost eating his .22 and was glad to see the police show up. I'm also aware of the other reason the storm doors were originally locked.  You managed to skate around it. Confinement. The agency and the police like that situation.  BTW  I've been stabbed,  shot at, attacked by people wielding bricks,  car antennas, and bottled lye in my lifetime. The trick is to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. Those who are fearful have already lost the battle whether we're talking about terrorism or crime in general. FWIW think of the damage that can happen on a subway or railway car with unlocked doors.  You live your life how you like.  I'm going to live mine with what got me this far.  Carry on.  No hard feelings. 

6 minutes ago, Trainmaster5 said:

You lived in Italy while I hung out in Bedford-Stuyvesant,  Brownsville,  Harlem,  Roosevelt,  Newark and Trenton in the sixties,  seventies, and eighties.  Get real. Terrorists in all but name. I'm just going to leave this here and wait because I'm sure that there's posters out here who understand where I'm coming from. Sit on a snowbird at at Jackson Avenue middle for a couple of hours on a Friday or Saturday night or pass by the Van Dyke projects and listen to the gunfire coming from whatever direction and wonder if you are the target.  I understand your point of view but I think I've given you too much credit at times. You mentioned having the storm doors locked in car on a train. I can imagine the destruction a criminal could do in that situation. I was involved in an incident on an R46 consist that began around 96th St. and ended with police entering our car at 59th. The perpetrator, who claimed to be armed, ended up almost eating his .22 and was glad to see the police show up. I'm also aware of the other reason the storm doors were originally locked.  You managed to skate around it. Confinement. The agency and the police like that situation.  BTW  I've been stabbed,  shot at, attacked by people wielding bricks,  car antennas, and bottled lye in my lifetime. The trick is to be cautious and aware of your surroundings. Those who are fearful have already lost the battle whether we're talking about terrorism or crime in general. FWIW think of the damage that can happen on a subway or railway car with unlocked doors.  You live your life how you like.  I'm going to live mine with what got me this far.  Carry on.  No hard feelings. 

I'm from South Brooklyn. I've seen two people shot on the ground and have witnessed my own things in my lifetime, so you're not the only one that's been around the block. I still think that the idea of having people confined in a car causes more problems in an emergency.

An agency that supposedly tries to limit its liability "likes confinement"?  I don't believe that what you're saying isn't true, but it seems to go against everything at the same time.

Wow I missed a whole thing while I was away last week huh? 

But there's an interesting point there: I'm not sure what's actually more dangerous, leaving the doors locked or unlocked. I've seen people nearly trampled running from a hypothetical firearm because there's some altercation and someone yells gun. Panic is dangerous in and of itself. People attempting to flee a 75' car through the end doors, whether the threat is real or imagined, are also imminently in danger. 

The self-preservationist might say "well I'M not going to fall on the tracks, I know better than that, I just want a way out of the car" 

The mass-preservationist might say "It's better that the doors stay locked, as unlocking them is a constant risk to everyone" 

I've never been one to flee from danger, and some would call that foolish, but it's always worked out for me *shrug*

Also it's a moot point. The cars are slated to be retired, and replaced with 60 foot cars with unlocked storm doors. :D

Archived