DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

October 13th 2008

[float=right]amd_eppnik.jpg

Zalcman for News

Jason Ellick finds a comfy spot in the

subway on one of the chairs the Queens

artist salvaged from the street.

[/float]Take a seat.

That's the theory behind Jason Ellnick's campaign to get people to take thrown-out chairs and put them in subway stations.

"It's just a really simple thing," the Queens multimedia artist said. "The idea to bring them to places where they can be of use."

Ellnick, 27, said he's brought about two dozens chairs into the subway system so people can use them while they're waiting for the train.

"One day on a walk, I realized just how many chairs I was seeing on the street," he said.

"It's such a waste. They're perfectly good chairs. But I don't need any more chairs, so I thought, where would they be used?"

The chairs don't stay there for long, he said. Usually, someone takes them, but that's okay with him.

"I'm hoping to inspire other people to take advantage of these free chairs that are in the trash," he said, adding that he is considering putting them at bus stops, too.

Ellnick said he's not trying to change the world - he just wants people to stop being so wasteful.

"A lot of people thought this was a really big statement or something," he said. "I just think so many people revolve their life around being a consumer. Why would someone throw a perfectly good chair?"

Ellnick said he's pleased when he sees someone take a load off on one of his chairs.

"I just find something really pure of it just being there and people having to make their own decision about it," he said. "There's something very fun about the economics of it all."

Ellnick said he hasn't been hassled by Metropolitan Transportation Authority officials and the chairs aren't affixed to any MTA property.

"The positive reaction I got was really hopeful," he said.

In principal, it's not a bad idea; however, I cannot condone such a project as, eventually, these chairs will be thrown in front of a train by one of our resident miscreants.

I can hear it now lol "Control come in for the 1656 (N)ancy out of Stillwell my train went BIE due to someone tossing a recliner on the roadbed I am going to investigate." lol

I can hear it now lol "Control come in for the 1656 (N)ancy out of Stillwell my train went BIE due to someone tossing a recliner on the roadbed I am going to investigate." lol

I've already had a shopping cart thrown in front of my train at Roosevelt Av on the E. Control Center loves having to pull power there with a slew of trains stuck in between stations.:)

I love modern art, but I have to say...what's the point of this?

That's what I've been saying about modern art for years.

Archived