Rapid Transit Extension To Northeast Bronx, N.Y. New York City Transit Authority October 1977

Union Tpke

Rapid Transit Extension To Northeast Bronx, N.Y. New York City Transit Authority October 1977

With CUNY, you can get books sent from one CUNY library to your local CUNY. I picked this up at Hunter, and once home on January 10, I scanned all 291 pages, including maps, which took five hours. I then took several hours to turn the jpgs to pdfs, and then turned them, very slowly into a few files. I then compressed them and combined them, which took a while. 

This document is for the NYCTA's planned extension of the Second Avenue Subway. The three options considered are having it serve Dyre Avenue and Pelham north of Hunts Point, Dyre Avenue and the Penn Central (Hell Gate Line) right-of-way, and Dyre Avenue and White Plains Road north of 180th Street. I haven't found this anywhere online. I hope this is an interesting and enlightening read.

I've had this fantasy map and an accompanying track map (that I have yet to upload), and looking at this it seems I put up a similar alignment in the Bronx as these guys did, except it would have been the full row from Harlem River (around Port Morris) connecting to the Second Avenue line, and the stops are the old NYB&W RR stops. The subway would gone on the north side of the Amtrak ROW, and my yard would also have been under Gun Hill depot. Freaky how similar they are, but in reality it is very conceivable and kinda obvious, given that that seems to be the only land that the MTA can really control.

Edited by GojiMet86

Amazing detail.

One think you learn is how much more rapid the rapid transit was back then. For instance, the schedule run times for the 6 express and local during am rush from Parkchester to Grand Central were :

Express - 30 min.
Local - 36 min.

Today's scheduled runs are:

Express - 36 min.
Local - 40 min. 

And the 2 express from 241st St. to  42 St:

1977 time - 49 min.

Today  - 58-62 min.

Edited by Italianstallion

On 1/11/2019 at 2:57 PM, Italianstallion said:

Amazing detail.

One think you learn is how much more rapid the rapid transit was back then. For instance, the schedule run times for the 6 express and local during am rush from Parkchester to Grand Central were :

Express - 30 min.
Local - 36 min.

Today's scheduled runs are:

Express - 36 min.
Local - 40 min. 

And the 2 express from 241st St. to  42 St:

1977 time - 49 min.

Today  - 58-62 min.

Hence, rapid transit

I am coming up with a list of pages to fix. If there are any that are hard to read or are visually distracting please tell me.

Here is what I have so far:

• Map 8
  • Map 9
  • Map 11
  • Map 14
  • Map 15 Right
  • Map 25
  • Map 27
  • Map 29 Right
  • Map 33
  • Map 36
  • Map 39
  • Map 40
  • Map 48

I keep saying it, but I have to get around one day & visit the Library of Congress in DC to check out whatever historical MTA bus/subway/RR maps, as well as other additional research on subject matter I'm inquisitive of about this agency.....

Anyway, thanks for the effort (scanning almost 300 pages) & the drop as well.

Rapid transit is anything but, in this city.