high speed service

Amtrak

Doesn't there have to be an overwhelming demand first, then electrification, then high speed service. I think that sounds about right.

Imagine that... high speed across the continental US to California or south to Florida or North to Canada. What trips those would be.

I read something about a plan for a high speed train from NY to LA, you would pay a dollar a minute (for 54 minutes) and it would travel at 6000 mph (down from 1400 to prevent stronger g-forces). Imagine that ride! I doubt we'd see that though ;)

I read something about a plan for a high speed train from NY to LA, you would pay a dollar a minute (for 54 minutes) and it would travel at 6000 mph (down from 1400 to prevent stronger g-forces). Imagine that ride! I doubt we'd see that though ;)

Not in our lifetime in this country!

Sure you don't mean 600 mph?

Was there demand in Europe where the TGVs' roam? Was there demand in Japan when the bullet trains debuted? I think the demand is here in the U.S., it's just people here have possibly given up on it ever being built and seriously funded, so it could be built correctly. From N.Y to L.A. is kinda far, but from N.Y to Florida I can see. Acela is the retarded 1st cousin of the TGV. If it were built and did not cost an arm and a leg to ride, people WOULD use it, because the airports are beyond help anymore. That is why Europe chose the TGV, and Germany with Maglev. It gets one there faster and closer than a plane.

Personally I'd rather a Maglev from N.Y. to Florida, but I can dream can I?

• 5 months later...

I read about this, how this would work is a maglev in a vacuumed tunnel/tube allowing for there be no friction since maglev doesnt touch the track anyway. Allowing the train to travel so fast. There were also plans for this kind of train to run underneath the Atlantic ocean between nyc and london or paris and underneath the beiring strait between russia and alaska. Though this isnt going to happend anytime soon lol.

Archived