3 MTA Workers Injured In 2 Unprovoked Attacks Less Than 30 Minutes Apart

Lawrence St

This is getting out of hand. Just this month someone slapped a conductor as the train was leaving. Have people lost their minds?

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) – There has been another outbreak of violence against MTA workers in Manhattan.

Police sources tell CBS2 three transit employees were attacked in separate incidents within 30 minutes of each other on Friday.

Investigators say the first attack took place around 2:35 p.m. near the corner of West 136th Street and Broadway.

A driver in a black Ford reportedly got into an argument with the operator of an M-5 bus and then threw a glass bottle at the MTA vehicle’s window. The bus’s driver side window shattered and inured both the operator and another MTA employee on board.

That driver then fled the scene.

MTA bus window broken in an attack on transit workers on Nov. 29, 2019. (Credit: CBS2)

Minutes later, a subway conductor was punched in the face at the 125th Street/St. Nicholas Avenue station in an unprovoked attack.

Police say this happened around 2:50 p.m. and the attacker fled on foot without exchanging any words with the subway operator before hitting him.

“The pattern of unprovoked attacks on Transit workers is reprehensible to the MTA, our employees and all concerned New Yorkers. We are fully cooperating with NYPD investigators and expect the perpetrators, when arrested, to be subjected to maximum prosecution and sentencing,” Robert Diehl of NYC Transit Safety and Security said in a statement.

All the MTA employees were treated for minor injuries.

The NYPD is still looking for suspects in both attacks.

Anyone with information about these incidents is asked to call the NYPD’s Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or 1-888-57-PISTA (74782) for Spanish. You can also submit a tip via the Crime Stoppers website, by tweeting @NYPDTips or by texting 274637.

Edited by Lawrence St

13 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

This is getting out of hand. Just this month someone slapped a conductor as the train was leaving. Have people lost their minds?

In regards to the conductors being hit and and insulted, I’d attribute that to the ignorance the average NYer has about their own subway system. In almost every video of a conductor or operator gritting soulmates, it’s usually an irate straphanger that’s upset at the train being late, slow, or skipping their stop. They believe that trains operate like cars do, with the motormen/women simply able to move the train wherever and however they want. 

Edited by Cabanamaner

16 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

I just got through reading about that nutcase in Melrose that fired off gunshots in the middle of the day hitting 5 people, now I poke my head in this section of the forum & see the corresponding title of this thread.....

(The premise behind) The colloquialism of people losing their minds, assumes a lot of people out here aren't touched in the head to begin with.... Way I see it, some form of mental illness lies dormant in far too many people & innocent people simply going about their lives end up being unfortunate victims in the manifestation of it all.... In other words, you have people out here that are mentally handicapped & are (IMO) unable to properly express themselves....

Anger is a sibling of fear..... Fear is the cousin of control.

2 hours ago, Cabanamaner said:

In regards to the conductors being hit and and insulted, I’d attribute that to the ignorance the average NYer has about their own subway system. In almost every video of a conductor or operator gritting soulmates, it’s usually an irate straphanger that’s upset at the train being late, slow, or skipping their stop. They believe that trains operate like cars do, with the motormen/women simply able to move the train wherever and however they want. 

Misplaced anger.

• 4 weeks later...