"Forget your Transit Experts"

1 hour ago, Around the Horn said:

And that falls squarely on *checks thread title* forgetting our transit experts.

It's also worth noting the distinction between transit experts, transit "experts", and transit enthusiasts.

MTACC is full of the second category, IMO, given their refusal to listen to anyone not already in their little club. As the third, I am definitely able to identify problems, but I don't know that I'd trust me with executing solutions.

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

IDK, while I get that anyone simply working under a contract is a contractor, the word Contractor in & of itself, to me, always had this nefarious connotation to it.... I'm bringing that up because whenever I see someone mention a corrupt contractor, it reads as a double negative.... Like, you seldom, if ever, hear about contractors in a positive light....

Generally speaking, if there are good contractors you don't hear about them, because people generally don't publicize people doing their jobs as expected. If a contractor or a consultant (basically $$$ contractors) make the news they've already f**ked up.

Edited by bobtehpanda

1 hour ago, B35 via Church said:

As for the totality of that comment, I'd say the MTA facilitating "corrupt contractors" would be more accurate..... If you knew going in that they're corrupt, then why the f*** are you hiring them for.... Delusions of grandeur truly runs rampant with this agency.

Follow the political donations. Construction is a well-organized industry. 

53 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Generally speaking, if there are good contractors you don't hear about them, because people generally don't publicize people doing their jobs as expected. If a contractor or a consultant (basically $$$ contractors) make the news they've already f**ked up.

I get that you don't get people giving other people back-pats & attaboys for doing their jobs in general, but I was just talking about the mere word itself having a negative connotation.... Hustle/hustler is another term I'd put into that category..... A better way to convey it (I guess), is that it's stigmatized.....

51 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

Follow the political donations. Construction is a well-organized industry. 

So, throw rocks & hide your hands basically....

We know you're crooked, we want your services - but we also think you're in need of "straightening" out <_<

53 minutes ago, bobtehpanda said:

It's also worth noting the distinction between transit experts, transit "experts", and transit enthusiasts.

MTACC is full of the second category, IMO, given their refusal to listen to anyone not already in their little club. As the third, I am definitely able to identify problems, but I don't know that I'd trust me with executing solutions.

Some would argue that those of us on these transit forums would fall anywhere between that second & that third category.....

Quite honestly, I wouldn't throw em in either category... They're not experts, they're not pretending to be, and they sure as shit couldn't care less about enthusiastically exuding any interest for transit..... The old guard/good ole boy mentality is completely detached from anything "transit"....

Edited by B35 via Church

I was told 50 years ago that the (MTA) was a real estate front masquerading as a transportation agency. If you go back to the private companies and their contemporaries, trolley, els, and subway services benefited the traction folks and the real estate agents. I’m not saying that it was always a bad thing in the past but since the creation of the (MTA) the NYCTA and the LIRR appear to be pawns in a larger chess match. Just my take on the big picture. Gotta remember where my timeframe begins. The Lexington Avenue el still ran in Brooklyn and the Third Avenue el ran in Manhattan. I was working in RTO when the old South Ferry loop station was worked on and the first train to enter after the job was completed had to stop and get backed out because the ceiling was dropped too low. Was working the (5) heading n/b into the 149th st-Concourse Station when I encountered an improper display on a newly installed signal that some supervisors signed off on the previous weekend. The deputy Supt in the tower gave me permission to proceed past the signal but I, citing the rule book, called the Command Center and got the permission I needed. Because the work was signed off on and the contractors had moved on to Parkchester it took a few weeks before they had the time to come back and change the wiring in the signal. Signal Dept. wouldn’t touch it because it wasn’t their work and it was still under warranty. School car instructors came through and said that I, and two senior M/M on the AM tour, were correct in taking the action we did. The deputy and I became enemies from that day forward until I retired from the same (5) line. Another expert 😀, right ?  I still remember the look on his face when the General Supt of the IRT came to Dyre and made him read a letter of commendation the General had made up for me. Just like the folks who did the work in the Montague tunnel. Remember that someone had to sign off on that job, too. There are some really knowledgeable people on staff in the agency but they have been shunted to the sidelines while some people cozy up to “their “ experts and the contractors get paid no matter what. They just followed what the quasi experts asked for. Meanwhile the public pays the freight cluelessly. Just my rant. Carry on.

8 hours ago, Trainmaster5 said:

I was told 50 years ago that the (MTA) was a real estate front masquerading as a transportation agency. If you go back to the private companies and their contemporaries, trolley, els, and subway services benefited the traction folks and the real estate agents. I’m not saying that it was always a bad thing in the past but since the creation of the (MTA) the NYCTA and the LIRR appear to be pawns in a larger chess match. Just my take on the big picture. Gotta remember where my timeframe begins. The Lexington Avenue el still ran in Brooklyn and the Third Avenue el ran in Manhattan. I was working in RTO when the old South Ferry loop station was worked on and the first train to enter after the job was completed had to stop and get backed out because the ceiling was dropped too low. Was working the (5) heading n/b into the 149th st-Concourse Station when I encountered an improper display on a newly installed signal that some supervisors signed off on the previous weekend. The deputy Supt in the tower gave me permission to proceed past the signal but I, citing the rule book, called the Command Center and got the permission I needed. Because the work was signed off on and the contractors had moved on to Parkchester it took a few weeks before they had the time to come back and change the wiring in the signal. Signal Dept. wouldn’t touch it because it wasn’t their work and it was still under warranty. School car instructors came through and said that I, and two senior M/M on the AM tour, were correct in taking the action we did. The deputy and I became enemies from that day forward until I retired from the same (5) line. Another expert 😀, right ?  I still remember the look on his face when the General Supt of the IRT came to Dyre and made him read a letter of commendation the General had made up for me. Just like the folks who did the work in the Montague tunnel. Remember that someone had to sign off on that job, too. There are some really knowledgeable people on staff in the agency but they have been shunted to the sidelines while some people cozy up to “their “ experts and the contractors get paid no matter what. They just followed what the quasi experts asked for. Meanwhile the public pays the freight cluelessly. Just my rant. Carry on.

There's always someone willing to say things are ok, especially when the worst consequence of their error is a stern talking to, at best. The kind of people that think their willpower and interests are more important than the people on the receiving end of actions that they take so flippantly. 

On 5/27/2020 at 2:00 PM, R10 2952 said:

The transit experts should hold their own conference and tell people to "forget Cuomo".  Then escalate the dispute to the appropriate medium if need be; WWE or whatever...

And if cuomo loses playa, he goes one on one with tha undataka