Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DHayward

"Photo Permit" for Railroad Photography!

The MBTA "requires" a Photo Permit for railfanners. Now, I dont know anyone who actually has one and takes pictures. I dont have one, and I take pictures.

Now, they say you should have one so "you cannot hold the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority liable for any injury in the area of tracks."

C'mon, I know its for safty, but what railfan here will stand on active tracks to get a shot? And who here will trespass to get a shot? I didnt think so. B)

On another view, the permit requires a *fee of like 29.88 or somthing like that. Which I think is down right outrageous. If you are on public grounds and not breaking any rules, I say, snap away!

So, what are your opinions? Am I talking crazy talk, or do you agree? Whats the policy for the railroad near you?

*Another method of getting some extra cash? :D

Here in New York they banned picture taking anywhere in the subway if I remember correctly. I haven't heard of any permits here in NY. It's possible they exist here too but I'm not sure.

Here in New York they banned picture taking anywhere in the subway if I remember correctly. I haven't heard of any permits here in NY. It's possible they exist here too but I'm not sure.

No, photography is perfectly legal in the subway and anywhere on the MTA. Only thing not allowed in the MTA is flash photography, so when you take a picture, turn off the flash. Anyway, taking the pciture without flash makes the photo a whole lot better.

Well, on the MBTA Subway, most railway workers frown upon photography. Although I've seen some engineers and conductors strike a pose before :D

The permit is a joke, in my eyes B)

No, photography is perfectly legal in the subway and anywhere on the MTA. Only thing not allowed in the MTA is flash photography, so when you take a picture, turn off the flash. Anyway, taking the pciture without flash makes the photo a whole lot better.

Really, I could have sworn there were countless news stories about picture taken being banned throughout the subway system. Maybe I misunderstood.

Does any one know the rules on the rail & commuter lines in New York/New Jersey?

Really, I could have sworn there were countless news stories about picture taken being banned throughout the subway system. Maybe I misunderstood.

Does any one know the rules on the rail & commuter lines in New York/New Jersey?

http://www.mta.info/nyct/rules/rules.htm#restricted

Section 1050.9

(letter c in particular)

And in NJT, its totally ok for photography.

Well, on the MBTA Subway, most railway workers frown upon photography. Although I've seen some engineers and conductors strike a pose before :D

The permit is a joke, in my eyes B)

Definately a joke. But its actually to play it safe with that permit, cause then you can shut the cop or MBTA employee up.

Definately a joke. But its actually to play it safe with that permit, cause then you can shut the cop or MBTA employee up.

And pay $30? I'd like to take my chances without the permit. B)

And pay $30? I'd like to take my chances without the permit. B)

Oh, have to pay for the permit, that sucks. NJT was given them out for no charge a few years ago but they ditched on that and made ok for photography, no permit needed.

And pay $30? I'd like to take my chances without the permit. :)

Just go ahead and get one man. At least when you do you will feel more confortable and relaxed and take better shots.

Well, I did a little more research..

The permits are more commonly used for News Stations and things like that. They also permit people to do Platform Shoots... I have no intent of photography from the platform. (Although I have, and no one said anything.. the engineer even gave me a little wave :))

I took a couple of shots of some M-7's at the LIRR Atlantic Terminal and some employees were looking at me funny.

They looked at my work badge hanging on neck and then looked away.

Hi and let see if I put my camera in my pocket and take photos as I please who is going to fine me don't think so Mario. :)

Oh, have to pay for the permit, that sucks. NJT was given them out for no charge a few years ago but they ditched on that and made ok for photography, no permit needed.

NJ Transit Made a huge thing about a photography permit awhile ago. The plan was ultimately dropped (I guess a lot of railfans complained) however I still get questioned for the photography by conductors and NJT's Police department every now and then but I have a note that says that I can take photos if I'm in public areas such as station platforms, grade crossings etc.

Eric

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.