Red & Tan routes

SouthJerseyMan

Thank you to everyone for continuing our discussion of the Red & Tan routes. Many years ago the Red & Tan routes had good ridership. I was a regular rider of routes 14, 20, and 84 (PS route until 1960). If CoachUSA pulls out completely, I wonder whether NJT would step in. But I do not think that NJT can come in as long as these routes (or frequencies) are only "temporarily suspended" b/c of covid. This "Northern Branch Corridor" (as I call it) today has little public bus service. And the plan to extend HBLR service to Englewood seems to have fallen into the abyss of the many "West Shore Studies" of years ago. Your thoughts?

10 hours ago, SouthJerseyMan said:

Thank you to everyone for continuing our discussion of the Red & Tan routes. Many years ago the Red & Tan routes had good ridership. I was a regular rider of routes 14, 20, and 84 (PS route until 1960). If CoachUSA pulls out completely, I wonder whether NJT would step in. But I do not think that NJT can come in as long as these routes (or frequencies) are only "temporarily suspended" b/c of covid. This "Northern Branch Corridor" (as I call it) today has little public bus service. And the plan to extend HBLR service to Englewood seems to have fallen into the abyss of the many "West Shore Studies" of years ago. Your thoughts?

I don't think it's fallen into the abyss. It's on their radar. They just don't have the money for it.

30 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

I don't think it's fallen into the abyss. It's on their radar. They just don't have the money for it.

30 minutes ago, MNR Beacon Line said:

Right - but in the meantime, this extremely dense past of the state has almost no local or PABT bus service. Just one or two runs a day from Coach USA, and everyone is furious.

On 3/9/2023 at 5:52 PM, njbus86 said:

I recently inquired about NJT running some service over the former 11c territory through Teaneck, bergenfield and New Milford.  NJT's response was that they had to confirm Rockland was no longer operating the route!   They were clueless that Rockland abandoned it several years ago, had no idea Saddle River had taken it over and had since gone  out of business!

When I started reaching out to customers online about the 11C and 55, the former operator threatened to run buses against me (which would split the traffic). I would have done it if I was not getting headaches going into the GWB. The 186 has been hammered by the former R&T customers and I don't see them leaving again.

I do think that the 9/9A/9T and 11A are being subsidized by the savings from combining everything else into park & ride expresses. The NYC employment scene will determine if those buses ever return. Another factor is bus insurance. It is up for everyone and way up for smaller companies.

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2023 at 10:27 PM, imagineverything said:

I used to rely on the 11A for midday and weekend service. 

i think that I need to contact our state representatives for this. 

On 3/10/2023 at 7:57 PM, imagineverything said:

Right - but in the meantime, this extremely dense past of the state has almost no local or PABT bus service. Just one or two runs a day from Coach USA, and everyone is furious.

5 hours ago, SouthJerseyMan said:

Just doing a check-up for April... Have there been any developments or discussions about the lack of bus service along the Red & Tan routes which today have limited or no service?

Not as far as I've heard, but you can feel free to follow up with them at the next board meeting on April 19th at 6pm: https://www.njtransit.com/about/board-of-directors I agree they should work out some arrangement (maybe even have R & T operate some service on behalf of NJT if necessary, similar to how it's contracted out in Middlesex County).

• 2 months later...

Just doing my June check-in for this topic. In May I stayed over-nite in Tenafly. In the morning I purposefully rode the #20 Red&Tan bus to the PABT. I note that several riders got on the NJT #166. I was the only rider who got on the #20  which came a few minutes later.  I use NJT sr coupons for Red&Tan. Even so the Red&Tan sr is fare is about $1 higher than the NJT sr fare. I would appreciate any further comments, complaints, observations, and speculations about bus service in the Englewood - Tenafly - Closter corridor. Thanks.

• 8 months later...