Should Mta have Bi-Articulated Buses ?

40 to 241st

A good number of Mta's routes can be very busy and crowded especialy the articulated routes like the M15 and Bx12 which extremely high ridership some of Mta's articulated routes gets really crowded and I think Bi articulated buses can reduce standing for passengers even though for some routes it could have an effect on there frequency. But if I were to use bi-articulated buses I would try not to effect the frequency as some of the Articulated buses are crowded enough to have a Bi-Articulated Bus do some of it's trips.  

16 minutes ago, 40 to 241st said:

A good number of Mta's routes can be very busy and crowded especialy the articulated routes like the M15 and Bx12 which extremely high ridership some of Mta's articulated routes gets really crowded and I think Bi articulated buses can reduce standing for passengers even though for some routes it could have an effect on there frequency. But if I were to use bi-articulated buses I would try not to effect the frequency as some of the Articulated buses are crowded enough to have a Bi-Articulated Bus do some of it's trips.  

🙄 this AGAIN? why? you brought this topic up in the random thoughts thread at the end of May, and people responded with EMPHATIC no's. so now that it's the end of june, this again?

13 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

🙄 this AGAIN? why? you brought this topic up in the random thoughts thread at the end of May, and people responded with EMPHATIC no's. so now that it's the end of june, this again?

I thought I should try and make it more persuasive 

100% no to this. People already hate and get impatient when I'm driving an artic in front of them in Fordham, a bi-artic would make traffic even worse there. 

I've driven the SBS12 at 207th Street in Manhattan and it gets extremely challenging. I love it but it's very risky. A bi-artic in Fordham and 207 would cause chaos, lol

15 hours ago, josephnyy42 said:

100% no to this. People already hate and get impatient when I'm driving an artic in front of them in Fordham, a bi-artic would make traffic even worse there. 

I've driven the SBS12 at 207th Street in Manhattan and it gets extremely challenging. I love it but it's very risky. A bi-artic in Fordham and 207 would cause chaos, lol

on top of that, nyc streets (that have bus lines) are barely built in a way to accommodate current artic services, not like say, Hamburg (Germany), Belgium or other European cities/countries that utilize this type of equipment.

let me put it this way: ever notice how no north American cities utilize bi-articulated units? it's for a damn good reason. iinm Quebec City announced in 2019 that they'll implement them... in 2026 (maybe)

let's not forget that union members like myself and the brother who commented before me will suffer from implementation of such equipment. there's no time in history (in exception of the Q44+ and maybe the B44+) that runs weren't lost when artics were implemented... so imagine bi-artics. it's not like bi-artics will be implemented on a run/bus for run/bus basis... that's foolish to think.

kinda off the subject: in case people forgot, initially, they cut runs on the 'B' and 'Q' 44+'s when artics were implemented... which they eventually had to put back.

and just to show I'm not a "hAtEr" with no rhyme or reason, according to DOB's safety division, the depots that are most prone to accidents are depots with artics (rear end impact collisions & rear right impact collisions)... regardless of the B/O's seniority or years of artic qualification.

I've been artic qualified since 2010, and have been shifter qualified since 2017. they tell you repeatedly the dangers of operating such equipment, and the type of bs to look out for when operating said units to keep your ass out of trouble (or at least try to) shit, they barely house artics in certain depots as it is, do you really think bi-artics... nvr mind. bi-artics = horrible idea in nyc.

Edited by EastFlatbushLarry

While we're at it, if we're to have these things, we may as well put them on bogies with steel wheels sitting on steel rails instead of rubber on asphalt/concrete/*insert pavement type here*. We could then hook up a bunch of overhead wires. If we're concerned about these things getting stuck in traffic, we could implement grade separation and dedicated boarding/alighting spaces, which would have the side effect of enabling higher speeds than what would be allowed on the surface. We'd still have to find a place to maintain this stuff, but anything of the sort would need adequate facilities, anyway.

12 hours ago, Lex said:

While we're at it, if we're to have these things, we may as well put them on bogies with steel wheels sitting on steel rails instead of rubber on asphalt/concrete/*insert pavement type here*. We could then hook up a bunch of overhead wires. If we're concerned about these things getting stuck in traffic, we could implement grade separation and dedicated boarding/alighting spaces, which would have the side effect of enabling higher speeds than what would be allowed on the surface. We'd still have to find a place to maintain this stuff, but anything of the sort would need adequate facilities, anyway.

That sounds more like a light rail.