7 West Side Extension- Actually Happening!

MTR Admiralty

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with taking the (7) down the west side to 14th, but why stop at 28th street? just stop at 23rd. Four blocks for one local subway stop is ridiculous. When the IRT and BMT made 28th street stops, their trains were much shorter. We have citybusses if you cant take a 2 minute walk of 4 blocks...

I personally feel that the javits center station is more than enough. It is a really wise idea to put storage area like they have planned. You could empty half or more of corona yard onto the line, have some in service the rest on the storage tracks. This way service will never get interrupted from yard flooding, icy yard switches, or other nonsense.

- A

Yard/track open to the elements will always be less reliable than layup tracks in tunnels because the low speed switches in the yards are constantly exposed to all kinds of stuff. Also, yards accumulate ice/snow around the switches and the 3rd rail. Underground tracks do not. At least half of the subway's yard system is also vulnerable to flooding because the drainage system can get overwhelmed more easily than the tunnel's systems.

- A

If you people cannot make an agreement, let it be 25th Street! Deal or no deal?

Why 25th Street? That is just nonsense. Why would people walk 2 extra blocks to 25th Street just to take the train? Besides, there is more demand around 23rd than around 25th.

no no

what i meant is someone said the (7)<7> would stop on 23rd AND 28th street. either one is fine. just not both.

23rd Street will do.

If you guys would want the 23rd and/or 28th Street, lets make it 25th Street, perfectly centered! B)!

I do not recall people advocating for a 28th Street Station. 23rd Street will do. IF, people want a station near 28th Street, they could have an entrance closer to 28th Street (this is being planned with the 72nd Street Station on the SAS, to bridge the gap between 55th Street and 72nd Street, exits are being planned at 57th AND 69th Streets, I believe.

Well, we are not talking about the Second Ave. Subway, we are taling about the 7 Extension...

23+28/2=Approx. 25... So it is more reasonable to build a station around 25th Street since it wouldn't be too crappy to walk few 'short' blocks...

My bringing up of the SAS is to show that when there is a long gap between stations, they would build entrances further away from the main station itself to bridge the gap.

NO! NO! NO!... You are not understanding this... A station at 23rd is more logical than 25th Street. Can you tell me, where Chelsea Piers is located? Or where most of its venues are located??? Ideally stations are built on MAJOR cross-streets.

Well, if you want to build it near Chelsea Piers-which is closer to 23rd, it is fine but I would rather recommend an excersise or two not to get people lazy and even if the station is built around the 23rd street are it would be very windy on a windy day!

Dude, no offence but, that is epic fail for you:

The whole point of having subway access is convenience. I am not saying that a station at 25th Street isn't inconvenient. However, put yourself in those people's shoes. Who goes to Chelsea Piers? What do they do there? They are boaters, party go-ers (on those cruises), children, people who want to play sports... so you are telling me, that after a comprehensive routine of sports for a couple of hours a person would want to walk all the way to 25th Street just to catch the train when an entrance could be feasible on site at Chelsea Piers???

It is not about "laziness", loads of people at Chelsea Piers already did their cardio exercises. A number of them would be tired, they want to get home quickly. Now put yourself in their shoes: one 1 hour of basketball, maybe some cardio, then some swimming, you come out... and aren't you tired??? Do you feel like walking all the way to 25th Street?

I am not quite sure on this issue, but there is a zoning issue at 25th Street. The area is probably zoned for residences rather than commercial/retail.

Additionally, the new station should take advantage of the existing bus line. Allowing passengers to connect to the M23 seamlessly is the best option. A station at 25th Street would be controversial as people would have to walk all the way to 23rd... and what if they see the bus and it leaves???

Lastly, I don't want to offend your English, but I really have trouble understanding what you said. It really is grammatically incorrect.

Well, the train station could be in 25th Street and two enterances could be on 28th, another two on 25th and another two on 23rd!

That is the alingment I like and it won't be an Epic Fail! It would make an underpass for people who doesn't like to walk on the West Side Highway to 28th Street...

*___________________*___________________* < This is the mezzine.

..............._______________________............... < This is the (7) station.

This is my basic rendering of the station -^

Dude... just accept the fact that this is epic fail. You know why it is fail?

Cost effectiveness.

Will it really have an effect on the people if you build all of those entrances?

Would it be worth it?

And it is not about what YOU like, it is about WHAT WORKS.

This so called compromising plan is just lame, I do not recall anyone advocating a 28th Street Station and there is NO need for it. There is MORE demand at 23rd Street and there will be an increase in demand as new mixed use facilities are being built in the area.

Entrances CAN be built at 25th Street, however the station should be built at 23rd Street to take advantage of the community around it and Chelsea Piers.

Additionally it is more feasible in terms of engineering. Currently the tunnels, supposedly, start at 25th Street or say around there. Contractors could add the station south of the tracks. The tracks past 34th Street are storage tracks, as we all know. To maximise storage space and yet build a station simultaneously, contractors could mine the station with less harm than say building the station directly under 25th, the latter option will affect storage space more. Additionally, building the station at 25th will probably be more expensive as you will be dealing with then-existing infrastructure.

Archived