Christmas and The City

Forest Glen

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

We're heading into the city today. Of course, railroading will be an integral part of our New York City holiday experience. It begins with a trip on the North Jersey Coast Line. My young son is excited about the possibility of riding the multi-levels for the first time. Our initial stop will be Macy's to see the big man in the red suit at Santaland with its pronounced train theme thanks to Lionel's sponsorship. I'll then take him for his first subway ride to Grand Central to see the light show and Transit Museum store layout. Among other planned activities such as visiting Rockefeller Center, I hope to squeeze in the Citibank Station layout at Citigroup and the train department at FAO Schwarz but we'll have to see how things play out. Once he gets tired, he's done! :)

Earle

Outstanding! Thanks for sharing!

We're heading into the city today. Of course, railroading will be an integral part of our New York City holiday experience. It begins with a trip on the North Jersey Coast Line. My young son is excited about the possibility of riding the multi-levels for the first time. Our initial stop will be Macy's to see the big man in the red suit at Santaland with its pronounced train theme thanks to Lionel's sponsorship. I'll then take him for his first subway ride to Grand Central to see the light show and Transit Museum store layout. Among other planned activities such as visiting Rockefeller Center, I hope to squeeze in the Citibank Station layout at Citigroup and the train department at FAO Schwarz but we'll have to see how things play out. Once he gets tired, he's done! :)

Earle

Sounds like a really fun trip! After macy's you should probably take the subway from herald sq up to 5th and 59th on the (F)(V) then walk over after you're done to lexington & take whatever (4)(5)(6) train there down to citigroup center & GCT. B)

Good luck!!!

- A

We had an excellent time yesterday. Our North Jersey Coast Line train arrived 9:45 at NYP as advertised. The first stop was Macy's to visit with Santa. Santaland was fantastic as always. It features a strong railroading theme since Lionel is one of its sponsors. There are two operating layouts and the exterior of the area is decorated as a steam hauled passenger train. Visitors actually walk through the coaches to access the main area. Simulated train noises and motion give one the impression the train is taking you to the North Pole. It was good to see lots of Lionel equipment being sold in the toy department.

Afte seeing Santa and the holiday puppet theatre show, we took the Seventh Avenue Line and Shuttle to GCT for the Metro-North light show and Transit Museum store. The O gauge layout in the store is fabulous with Lionel's new R27 and M7 sets prominently featured. After quite a while and about $50 lighter in the wallet, we then headed for FAO Schwarz to see its train department. Unfortunately, as with so many stores yesterday, the line to get in was about a block long. It was butt cold, particularly for the little guy, so we then headed over to Times Square for some Christmas shopping in the Virgin Megastore and a stop at Toys R Us which has an extensive Thomas and Friends department. We concluded our day with a ride on the Seventh Avenue Line back down to NYP and another on time performance by NJ Transit which got us in the door about 6:45. What was the only downer of the whole day? We still haven't gotten to ride the d@mn multi-levels! :)

There is no better place to be for the holiday season than New York City!!!!

Earle

Archived