Tracks of the NYC Subway

Amtrak7

[float=right]trackmapbook.jpg[/float]When I realized that the online trackmaps at nycsubway.org were not enough, I pondered buying the book. AT $48 (including shipping) I wondered if I should spend the money for what may not be necessary. And I bought it.

It arrived in the mail 2 days after the order was placed. As I eagerly stripped open the Priority Mail envelope, I wondered what other than trackmaps were in here, since the book was nearly 150 pages. When I opened the book, I noticed Peter Dougherty's signature on the inside cover. Upon further inspection, it was hand-signed and dated. It started out by describing the subway system, including signs, signals, fares, towers, history, control, CBTC, radio frequencies, chaining codes, and abandoned stations.

The maps were quite detailed. Each borough was divided into many parts. Items identified include stations, services, track numbers, diverging route signals, street names, and non-revenue trackage.

There are insets for the following areas:

• Homeball Alley (A) (:D(C)(D)
  • Atlantic Av. (2)(3)(4)<4><5>
  • DeKalb Av. (:D(D)(N)(Q)(R)(M)
  • Coney Island (D)(F)(N)(Q)
  • 125 St. (4)<4>(5)<5>(6)<6>
  • W4 St. (A) (:)(C)(D)(E)(F)(V)
  • Broadway Junction (L)(J)(M)(Z)
  • Queensboro Plaza Historical
  • 53 St. (A)(B)(C)(D)(E)(F)(V)

Also, expected track diagrams for the 2 Av. subway, (7) extension, and Times Sq. (S) reconfigurations are drawn. Every yard in the system is identified by line and purpose. Major yards have detail pages with roster info.

http://nyctrackbook.com/

Ok I must be bugging....since when the (A)(;)(C)(D)(F) traveling along the 53rd Street Line...isn't it suppose to be the (E) and (V) trains only!

ya and Homeball Alley? wtf?

btw do you mean:

OK U must be bugging or

OK I must be bugging.

cuz u have I

Ok I must be bugging....since when the (A)(:P©(D)(F) traveling along the 53rd Street Line...isn't it suppose to be the (E) and (V) trains only!

(A)(C) trains do not travel along 53rd st at all

(B)(D) trains curve west along 53rd street from 6th Ave and travel briefly with one stop at 7th Ave before connecting to the 8th Ave/Central Park West line

(E) trains travel the entire 53rd Street Line making all stations along 53rd St

(V) trains curve east on to 53rd St from 6th Ave making fifth and Lexington Aves before going into Queens

• 4 weeks later...
(A)(C) trains do not travel along 53rd st at all

(:P(D) trains curve west along 53rd street from 6th Ave and travel briefly with one stop at 7th Ave before connecting to the 8th Ave/Central Park West line

(E) trains travel the entire 53rd Street Line making all stations along 53rd St

(V) trains curve east on to 53rd St from 6th Ave making fifth and Lexington Aves before going into Queens

Hi All,

I'm the author/publisher of Tracks of the NYC Subway.

I guess some degree of clarification is in order concerning 53rd Street. What the original poster was referring to as details of 53rd Street is the complex trackwork interconnecting the 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue lines under 53rd St., between 5th and 8th Avenues. This is on P. 65 of the book, and it shows which tracks underpin which other tracks, how 47-50 is put together, the principal homeballs at 47-50, north of 42/8 and south of 59/8, the placement of tracks and platforms at 7th Avenue and 5th Avenue and the commonly-used routings for northbound and southbound trains through the entire area.

For anybody who's not familiar with the book, it attempts to show all mainline and yard tracks and how they interact with one and other, not just on a line-by-line basis. Most of the book isn't to scale, though the yards and a couple of junctions are.

Anybody who knows me knows that I do this out of a genuine interest in the subway; I'm not a big publishing company or anything like that. This is a one-man operation all the way, and I look at it as a means of giving back to the railfan community. In turn, I rely on updates from astute readers, NYC Transit employees and other railfans to keep the book as accurate as possible.

Please feel free to e-mail, or IM me if you see me online on AIM (screen name w2irt).

Hi All,

I guess some degree of clarification is in order concerning 53rd Street. What the original poster was referring to as details of 53rd Street is the complex trackwork interconnecting the 6th Avenue and 8th Avenue lines under 53rd St., between 5th and 8th Avenues. This is on P. 65 of the book, and it shows which tracks underpin which other tracks, how 47-50 is put together, the principal homeballs at 47-50, north of 42/8 and south of 59/8, the placement of tracks and platforms at 7th Avenue and 5th Avenue and the commonly-used routings for northbound and southbound trains through the entire area.

For anybody who's not familiar with the book, it attempts to show all mainline and yard tracks and how they interact with one and other, not just on a line-by-line basis. Most of the book isn't to scale, though the yards and a couple of junctions are.

Anybody who knows me knows that I do this out of a genuine interest in the subway; I'm not a big publishing company or anything like that. This is a one-man operation all the way, and I look at it as a means of giving back to the railfan community. In turn, I rely on updates from astute readers, NYC Transit employees and other railfans to keep the book as accurate as possible.

Please feel free to e-mail, or IM me if you see me online on AIM (screen name w2irt).

Sweet book. I hope to buy it sometime!

Hi All,

Will you have updates posted online?

Hi All,

Mr. Dougherty, when is the new version of your book coming out? I wanted to get it over Christmas break, but I heard somewhere that you were updating the version of the book. Thanks in advance, I look forward to buying your book.

Will you have updates posted online?

Yes--sort of. If a pages or pages change significantly during the life-cycle of an edition I post the changes on-line. That means if tracks/signals change during that year. I won't post updates for spelling corrections, font corrections or similar minor graphic changes. There's a page on my book's Website for changes to the current edition, however there are no changes up there as of today. Unless the MTA gets busy and starts ripping out or adding crossovers or homeballs, there probably won't be many updates (or any at all) this year.

Yes--sort of. If a pages or pages change significantly during the life-cycle of an edition I post the changes on-line. That means if tracks/signals change during that year. I won't post updates for spelling corrections, font corrections or similar minor graphic changes. There's a page on my book's Website for changes to the current edition, however there are no changes up there as of today. Unless the MTA gets busy and starts ripping out or adding crossovers or homeballs, there probably won't be many updates (or any at all) this year.

Ah, when there is an update, can you provide the link here on NYCTF?

Ah, when there is an update, can you provide the link here on NYCTF?

I generally don't do this as a rule, but I'll try to remember to post here once the updated PDF is on my site. I've been quite busy with non-book-related stuff, and I'm not sure what the status is of SF. In fact; I was meaning to ride the loop one last time but I have no idea if it's too late or if the opening of the terminal station is still a ways off yet. I think my next trip to Manhattan won't be until the 29th.

Slightly off-topic, I'm sort of BBS-code-impaired in a sense - how can I have a small pic of my book's cover associated with my posts (the one the original poster included with his first post)?

Other than this thread I generally don't like to appear as if I'm selling my book every time I post a question or an answer in a forum -- I don't view forums like this one as sales venues, but at the same time, if someone's interested, I like to provide an inconspicuous link and small image if they're so inclined.

Oh.. what new information was put in the v4.4?

4.4 is more a re-print of 4.3 with a few changes scattered here and there; mostly regarding roster note changes - car equipment is changing very rapidly in the B-division and trying to get exact roster info is often an exercise in futility. The three noticeable changes in 4.4 over 4.3 are at South Ferry (new text description, new homeball), complete re-write and graphical changes of the ENY Yard page thanks to some great information received, and track corrections finally made to the E. 180th St. Yard.

As always, any new information is always very welcome and tremendously appreciated, as are corrections. I try to keep on top of changes as best I can but not living in the city and riding the subway daily any more has its drawbacks <G>.

Other than this thread I generally don't like to appear as if I'm selling my book every time I post a question or an answer in a forum -- I don't view forums like this one as sales venues, but at the same time, if someone's interested, I like to provide an inconspicuous link and small image if they're so inclined.

It's quite alright Mr. Dougherty as we are already promoting the book for you. If there are any questions you want to answer about your book please do not hesitate to do so. :tup:

It's quite alright Mr. Dougherty as we are already promoting the book for you. If there are any questions you want to answer about your book please do not hesitate to do so. :tup:

Thanks (and Peter's fine - no need to be formal).

Also, I'll state this publicly here, I have NO problems with members of this board copying/pasting bits and pieces of my maps when answering threads on rail or transit related forums, just with the following conditions: 1) credit is given as to the source of the graphic and 2) That the whole book not be posted. If someone's asking "why can't this line ever run over there" and the answer's easily shown by posting a photocopy of a small section of my book, please, feel free to do so. My aim is to help railfans understand how the system is put together!

On the subject of copying, though, I do wish to say one thing--and I'll only mention it once. I was terribly disappointed once when I was on a Nostalgia Train excursion, probably in 2001 or 2002. There was this malodorous, unkempt, sweaty and generally-unpleasant git making pen-marks over what were obviously photocopied pages from my book. When I asked where he got "that really cool info" he proudly informed me that one of his buddies made copies of "some guy's book." I asked if I could take a look and I pointed out the Copyright © Peter Dougherty mark on the lower right hand page. I then hauled out my drivers' license to show my name and thanked him for taking food off my table. Not even a hint at an apology.

I seriously contemplated just stopping the whole book project right there. It ruined the trip and if not for my better half's cajoling me, I think the book would never have seen the 3rd edition.

Long story short, look, it's printed-paper in a digital age. I know it's going to get copied by unscrupulous nitwits. Please don't anybody here be one of them. I produce this work because I enjoy the subject and, yes, I can make a pittance off the sale of each one. When I sell to mail-order houses, I see about $1.50 a copy after everything's settled, and when I sell directly to individual customers, I see a tad more. When some cretin steals my work outright, he's hurting me personally, not some nameless publishing house.

If you're going to make a copy for your own personal use who am I to stop you. For that matter, heck, if you're going to roam the system looking for errors and marking up pages, PLEASE photocopy pages and mark up the copies (especially welcome if you send the info to me afterwards, so I can disseminate corrected information in the next edition!)--just please don't copy the whole thing and hand it out--or worse, re-sell it!

When I came up with the printed book in 1995 I was surprised that more than a couple of people would be interested in such an esoteric work. After 13 years of researching and publishing it, I'm still shocked to see it continues to have a following, and as such, I'd like to publicly thank each and every one of you who've bought and enjoyed a copy of Tracks over the years. I am genuinely humbled by your support and interest in this fascinating avocation of ours.

- pjd

On the subject of copying, though, I do wish to say one thing--and I'll only mention it once. I was terribly disappointed once when I was on a Nostalgia Train excursion, probably in 2001 or 2002. There was this malodorous, unkempt, sweaty and generally-unpleasant git making pen-marks over what were obviously photocopied pages from my book. When I asked where he got "that really cool info" he proudly informed me that one of his buddies made copies of "some guy's book." I asked if I could take a look and I pointed out the Copyright © Peter Dougherty mark on the lower right hand page. I then hauled out my drivers' license to show my name and thanked him for taking food off my table. Not even a hint at an apology.

I would never allow copies of any published book to be posted anywhere on this site or forums. I totally understand you point and you can be sure it will never happen.

The subway has it's own map designed by Michael Hertz, well I'm going to say that Peter Peter Dougherty's NYC subway track maps should be the official NYC Subway Atlas. I hope that everyone who is interested in checking out the actual tracks, and their interconnections will consider purchasing these maps. He's done a great job with this project, Two big thumbs up to Peter Dougherty!

:tup: :tup: :cool:

The subway has it's own map designed by Michael Hertz, well I'm going to say that Peter Peter Dougherty's NYC subway track maps should be the official NYC Subway Atlas. I hope that everyone who is interested in checking out the actual tracks, and their interconnections will consider purchasing these maps. He's done a great job with this project, Two big thumbs up to Peter Dougherty!

:tup: :tup: :cool:

Totally agreed, Peter, you should considered selling your books thru bookstores such as B&N or Borders.

Totally agreed, Peter, you should considered selling your books thru bookstores such as B&N or Borders.

I'd love to have my books sold through these stores, but when I last approached a buyer for Borders a couple of years ago they weren't interested, and they said that if they were, they typically buy for 66.6% off cover price.

Yeah. Uh-huh. Great if you have a 50,000 print run and are published by Harper Collins. Not so great when you're a one-man-band dealing with NYC-area unionized printers on a 50-at-a-time order. I don't even have ISBNs for my books because the profit margins are just too small to make it worth getting.

My only brick-and-mortar retailer is Posman Books in Grand Central Terminal, right next door to the Transit Museum's shop. Incidentally, I used to sell it through the Museum, and they regularly sold over 50 a month, but after 9-11 they made a decision to not carry anything "behind the scenes;" just branded t-shirts and trinkets, etc.

Mr. Dougherty, can you explain to me what is different in version 4.4 from 4.3?

Sure. The short version: not a lot. If you have 4.3 you're more or less up to date. What's changed in 4.4 is new info on the South Ferry terminal, a corrected drawing of the East 180th St. Yard and a bunch of corrections and descriptions of East New York Yard.

Since there isn't much changing within the system (at least nothing that I've been made aware of), there's not really a whole lot more I can add and still keep the main thrust of the book being the NYC Subway (i.e. don't look for track maps of the LIRR or NJT or MN, etc). About all I'm going to add, hopefully in the 2010 edition, will be a page for Grand Central. Beyond that, there's not much more I can add until Transit starts changing things around on a more-or-less permanent basis.

Archived