Job in MTA (PLEASE HELP!!!!)

johnney

Dear Forum Readers,

I am new to this forums, if this post in a wrong section please forgive me.I had a question that i hope someone can answer me.Well i am working as a houseman in New York City.Because of the economy downturn i lose my job.Now i am getting worried day by day because i am the only one who put food on the table and i gotta takecare of my mom and my children too. My question is can i get a cleaning or cashier job in MTA? If so what exam i should take? and what r the exam books i should read before i go for the test? Thank you.

Dear Forum Readers,

I am new to this forums, if this post in a wrong section please forgive me.I had a question that i hope someone can answer me.Well i am working as a houseman in New York City.Because of the economy downturn i lose my job.Now i am getting worried day by day because i am the only one who put food on the table and i gotta takecare of my mom and my children too. My question is can i get a cleaning or cashier job in MTA? If so what exam i should take? and what r the exam books i should read before i go for the test? Thank you.

You need an immediate fix. Getting a city or state job takes years.

Jah is right. You need to look into something that will hire you right away. Looking into the MTA could take you months and even years. It's tough right now. Believe me I know first hand. My cousin just got let go from his company after 16 years. They just couldn't keep him anymore. He was pretty devastated. I'm trying right now to help him as much as I can.

Good luck and don't give up.

Dear Forum Readers,

Sorry to hear that Johnney. Like the others who replied to you have said,working for the MTA involves a very lengthy hiring process. You were probably making more money at your former job than you would in your first few years with the MTA. Can't your former employer help you out with referrals or a recommendation at least? Hang in there.

Dear Forum Readers,

Thank you for your replied.Yesterday i got a job in a retail store for temporary.At least it helped a little bit. :):(

I wont mind working as what as long as i can bring comfort to my children and mom.For the MTA job i know i gotta wait for years but i wont mind waiting.As long as there is a chance.I really need to know what to study for the test.Thank you and have a wonderful Holidays .

Dear Forum Readers,

Thank you for your replied.Yesterday i got a job in a retail store for temporary.At least it helped a little bit. :(:(

I wont mind working as what as long as i can bring comfort to my children and mom.For the MTA job i know i gotta wait for years but i wont mind waiting.As long as there is a chance.I really need to know what to study for the test.Thank you and have a wonderful Holidays .

Congrats on your job, and the upcoming filling period for T/O exam is coming up in March, it is an open competitive test, meaning that anyone "off the street" can take this test. It goes as far as common sense questions, and recognizing places in the city with a map given, etc. You can look around in this forum section to see that the recent C/R test was real easy. If you want to study more, see this book. Good luck :)

After having taken the C/R exam, I can tell you that getting those books is a waste of money.

Actually I've been told those books are more or less useless as far as the Open Competitive tests are, but if you're taking a promotional test (or you plan to after getting into Transit off the open competitve test) or if you're really serious about learning as much about the position as you can even before you start, it covers a lot of material that will be taught in schoolcar and that will give you sort of a "head start" on things you'd need to know for the job, so it might be recommended depending on what your plans are. the test questions in the books are all from old promotional exams, so that's why they'd be good if you're preparing for one.

• 2 weeks later...
Dear Forum Readers,

This is my take on it:

Wanting to work for MTA is like wanting to work for NYPD, HRA, FDNY, or any other division of NYC....it takes testing, evaluating, and patience. The reason so is because pursuing NYC-oriented jobs are straight up CAREER moves, and actually end up being where you retire from.... it's job security, so once someone gets on board, they stay on board for 30 years. Right now, I'm on the verge of being put on the eligibility list, I've already taken my Conductor Exam (8094) in December, and I began my "process" in September. Not to be long-winded, I'm just trying to say that pursuing MTA is something you have to set-and-forget. Do it, then forget about it..... keep working, or looking for work, and let MTA call you when you least expect it. It's the best way....

Archived