IRT Skip Stops

Trainmaster5

While checking out the B division posts about (J)/(Z) skip stops it occured to me that every PM rush we A division crews have our own version. The difference is they use two lines (J) and (Z) while we use one letter , (6) or another (4), with the same train crew. It's not always the same crews but it happens every day. Downtown (6) at Grand Central or 33rd St. Make your next stops 14th St., Bleecker and Brooklyn Bridge. Uptown (6) at Parkchester make your next stops Westchester Square and Pelham Bay Park. Uptown (4) at 161 st make your next stops Burnside, Fordham , Bedford Park and Woodlawn ( or some combination of stops btwn Burnside and Woodlawn). This is actually called a "skip" or "battery run" but it accomplishes the same thing. The only real scheduled skip-stops were the (1)/(9) combo but it seemed to be a failure to the powers that be. If the (9) ever comes back it will probably run from 137 St to South Ferry like alternate (1) trains did before the (9) came on the scene.

While checking out the B division posts about (J)/(Z) skip stops it occured to me that every PM rush we A division crews have our own version. The difference is they use two lines (J) and (Z) while we use one letter , (6) or another (4), with the same train crew. It's not always the same crews but it happens every day. Downtown (6) at Grand Central or 33rd St. Make your next stops 14th St., Bleecker and Brooklyn Bridge. Uptown (6) at Parkchester make your next stops Westchester Square and Pelham Bay Park. Uptown (4) at 161 st make your next stops Burnside, Fordham , Bedford Park and Woodlawn ( or some combination of stops btwn Burnside and Woodlawn). This is actually called a "skip" or "battery run" but it accomplishes the same thing. The only real scheduled skip-stops were the (1)/(9) combo but it seemed to be a failure to the powers that be. If the (9) ever comes back it will probably run from 137 St to South Ferry like alternate (1) trains did before the (9) came on the scene.

Hate to break it to you, but I do not agree with your ideas. almost every local station on the IRT Lexington Avenue Line is heavily used and there is no demand for express service on the Jerome Avenue Line, not to mention the 4 and 6 run very frequently and this can cause a lot of gaps or bunching between trains.

Hate to break it to you, but I do not agree with your ideas. almost every local station on the IRT Lexington Avenue Line is heavily used and there is no demand for express service on the Jerome Avenue Line, not to mention the 4 and 6 run very frequently and this can cause a lot of gaps or bunching between trains.

They are getting skips BECAUSE the trains are late getting to their terminals which is the only reason for this. This is not my idea, but rather what is happening daily on the (4) and (6) lines. I advocate making ALL stops and not worrying about lateness. Why leave paying customers at any station just so your on-time performance stats will look good ? I'm no fan of skips , my wife or mother could be standing on one of those bypassed platforms. I hope you didn't think I was proposing this , I'm against this practice.

They are getting skips BECAUSE the trains are late getting to their terminals which is the only reason for this. This is not my idea, but rather what is happening daily on the (4) and (6) lines. I advocate making ALL stops and not worrying about lateness. Why leave paying customers at any station just so your on-time performance stats will look good ? I'm no fan of skips , my wife or mother could be standing on one of those bypassed platforms. I hope you didn't think I was proposing this , I'm against this practice.

i think it is a dumb idea too

Yes... the ONLY reason they are doing this is because trains are running late. Few months ago, rush hour (6) downtown would arrive at 14th Street, the next stop would be Bleecker followed by Brooklyn Bridge. At times, it would go straight to BB. This "skip-stop" phenomenon is due to unwanted delays on the line earlier (PEOPLE HOLDING CAR DOORS OPEN, ahem). Few months ago, if the Woodlawn (4) was delayed it would go from 167th to Burnside to Moshulu, or from Burnside to Moshulu or Burnside to Bedford Park Blvd.

This is not just found on the IRT, the (F) does it too. I remember at Bway Laff, the next stop would be Delancey followed by Jay Street. This pisses people off, especially those who desire to disembark at East Broadway (me). So we end up leaving at Delancey and wait a couple of more minutes for the next train to take us one more stop.

But isn't it also to prevent "there is train traffic ahead of us" delays? For example, if there are two <6> trains, one is already stopped at 14th, the other one being able to proceed without stopping will prevent the one behind it from having to wait for signals to clear.

couldn't agree more! When I was living in Brooklyn, (F) sometimes have "express" that only stop 7av, 18av, kings hwy, stillwell after 4av, obviously due to "running late on schedule". One extreme example was like jay st-18av-kingshwy-stilwell....

How so? Sometimes battery runs suck. Try waiting at 23rd Street and see that train bypass you.

From being a regular rider of the 6 from October 2003 to June 2007, I have seen the Lexington line even on it's worse day. I could tell you a plethora of information on the Lexington Avenue line.

IAWTP.

It really sucks for the other people.

I'm teasing of course. I know it isn't fair to the others waiting. But if I'm on a <6> at Parkchester and I need to get to Pelham Bay as quick as possible, sometimes it's nice for it to skip Castle Hill and Zerega, and those other stops. It's selfish, yes, but I can't help but to appreciate it.

I'm teasing of course. I know it isn't fair to the others waiting. But if I'm on a <6> at Parkchester and I need to get to Pelham Bay as quick as possible, sometimes it's nice for it to skip Castle Hill and Zerega, and those other stops. It's selfish, yes, but I can't help but to appreciate it.

Same... when my uptown 4 is running late in the early morning... we would try to pray hard for a good battery run to Bedford Park Boulevard. It happens last year, but now, never.

Archived