Some MTA Employment Questions

TransitGuy

Hello everyone, hows everybody. I hope everyone is having a great holidays. Well I've been thinking a lot about working as a T/O or conductor for the (MTA) however, I am very clueless in the process, requirements, and things needed in order to become a T/O or conductor. Can someone please help me and explain the process (everything) of whats needed and what I would need to do (forms to fill out, what to study, what to know, and any helpful tips). Also, on a side note, whats the starting salary for each position? Also, for those who are currently employed, how do feel about your job? Basically heres a quick background info: I'm 18 and in college right now.

Well you pretty much missed the last exam for Conductor, so based on the time that passed from this exam and the last exam, it will be 4 years or so for the next one. The filing for the next train operator will start in March 2009. If the same requirements will be used for the next opening, then it will be this:

Education and Experience Requirements: By the last day of the Application Period you must have:

1. A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent; and

2. Five years of full-time, paid satisfactory work experience.

College education may be substituted for experience on the following basis: One year of acceptable experience

will be credited for each 30 credits completed at an accredited college, up to a maximum of four years. However,

all candidates must have at least one year of full-time satisfactory, paid work experience. Part-time paid

experience will be pro-rated.

Education and Experience Requirements: By the last day of the Application Period you must have:

College education may be substituted for experience on the following basis: One year of acceptable experience

will be credited for each 30 credits completed at an accredited college, up to a maximum of four years. However,

all candidates must have at least one year of full-time satisfactory, paid work experience. Part-time paid

Hope that I am eligible if stays that way...I am right on the border line in terms of that. Have 120+ college credits (so that covers 4/5 years), and I'll have been working two months part time (summer '08), then about six months full time. Not to mention I worked part time while in school (and also some full time work but only for 2-3 months at a time - summers mostly), and even before that in high school as well, again summers. So I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

i got a question do you think i`m ok when i file for the train operator here what i have completed.

1.high school deploma 4 years

2.lincoln technical instatute degree in auto mechanics 13 month program studying on how to fix cars

I worked at a ford dealer part time for a year and half parking cars road testing cars and some times i coverd for people that called in sick or took a week vaction i coverd that full time some times i did it. work hours there were monday to saturday

monday~friday 2pm~7pm

saturday 7am~10:30am

monday to friday people that took vacation i coverd if they took a vacation

7am~7pm

july 2007 ~ september 2008

I worked at christmas tree shop maintance part time 4 months

oct 2006~ feb 2007

Shoot I don't have much work experience or that much college credit right now. Other than obviously staying in college longer and working a bit. Is there anything I need to know in specific with approaching to applying for a T/O or conductor position? Also, since I don't have those requirements does this mean I shouldn't apply at all? Would it better to wait 4 years for the next conductor exam?

Here is the old Notice of Examination from the last T/O exam, so all this information is subject to change but it should give a rough estimate as to what to expect.

TRAIN OPERATOR

Exam. No. 2085

New York City Transit Authority

WHEN TO APPLY: From: May 7, 2003 APPLICATION FEE: $50.00

To: May 27, 2003 Payable only by money order to D.C.A.S.

(EXAMS)

THE TEST DATE: The multiple-choice test is expected to be held on Saturday, October 25, 2003.

EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE

TEST PAPER

FOREIGN EDUCATION

FACT SHEET

(IF APPLICABLE)

WHAT THE JOB INVOLVES: Train Operators operate trains in revenue and non-revenue road service, and in yard

or terminal service; prepare trains for road service and switch cars in yards; in revenue road service, convey

passengers over assigned routes; may open and close doors in stations and terminals; may make announcements;

in non-revenue road service, operate work trains and revenue collection trains; in yards and terminal service,

switch cars, prepare trains for road service and operate trains between yards and terminals; convey trains into

barns and shops for inspection and repair, and through car washes for cleaning; wear a prescribed uniform; and

perform related work.

Some of the physical activities performed by Train Operators and environmental conditions experienced are:

climbing and descending ladders on and off the tracks, ascending and descending from trains and catwalks to

roadbeds; walking along elevated sections of track; responding to audible signals such as alarm bells, train whistles,

horns and radioed conversation; responding to visual signals including distinguishing colored lights; using manual

equipment related to train operation; remaining in a sitting position for extended periods of time; and lifting heavy

equipment. Train Operators are required to work various shifts, including weekends and holidays. Train

Operators must be available to work overtime as required.

(This is a brief description of what you might do in this position and does not include all the duties of this position.)

THE SALARY: The current minimum salary is $23.8575 per hour. This rate is subject to change. In addition,

incumbents receive night and weekend differentials, paid holidays, vacations and sick leave, a comprehensive

health plan and a pension plan.

HOW TO APPLY: If you believe that you meet the requirements in the "How to Qualify" section, refer to the

"Required Forms" section below for the forms that you must fill out. Return all completed forms and the

application fee to DCAS Applications Section, 1 Centre Street, 14th floor, New York, NY 10007 by mail only.

Applications will not be accepted in person.

HOW TO QUALIFY:

You may be given the test before we check your qualifications.

REQUIREMENTS TO BE APPOINTED:

Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Train Operator. Candidates

will be examined to determine whether they can perform the essential functions of the position of Train Operator.

Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable him or

her to take the examination, and /or to perform the essential functions of the job.

Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.

Residency: City residency is not required for this position.

English Requirement: Candidates must be able to understand and be understood in English.

Proof of Identity: Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you must be able to prove your

identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States prior to employment with the City of New York.

REQUIRED FORMS:

1. Application for Examination: Make sure that you follow all instructions included with your application

form, including payment of fee. Save a copy of the instructions for future reference.

2. Education and Experience Test Paper: Write your social security number, the examination title and

number in the box at the top right side of the cover page. Fill out Sections A.1, A.2, A.3, A.4, and B. This

form must be filled out completely and in detail for you to receive your proper rating. Keep a copy of your

completed Education and Experience Test Paper for your records.

3. Foreign Education Fact Sheet (Required only if you need credit for your foreign education to

meet the education and experience requirements) : If you were educated outside the United States,

you must have your foreign education evaluated to determine its equivalence to education obtained in the

United States. The services that are approved to make this evaluation are listed on the Foreign Education

Fact Sheet included with your application packet. When you contact the evaluation service, ask for a

"document-by-document" (general) evaluation of your foreign education. You must have one of these

services submit its evaluation of your foreign education directly to the Department of Citywide

Administrative Services no later than eight weeks from the last date for applying for this examination.

THE TEST: You will be given a multiple-choice test. Your score on this test will be used to determine your place on

an eligible list. You must achieve a score of at least 70% to pass the test. The multiple-choice test may include

questions on understanding and applying written material relating to the rules, regulations and operating procedures

governing safe and efficient train operation; ability to read and understand written material on train controls, car

equipment and railroad signals; ability to apply appropriate procedures in emergency or stressful situations;

understanding military time; and other related areas.

ADMISSION CARD: You should receive an Admission Card in the mail about 10 days before the date of the test.

If you do not receive an Admission Card at least 4 days before the test date, you must go to the Examining Service

Section, 1 Centre Street, 14th floor, Manhattan, to obtain a duplicate card.

THE TEST RESULTS: If you meet the education and experience requirements and pass the multiple-choice test,

your name will be placed in final score order on an eligible list and you will be given a list number. You will be

notified by mail of your test results. If you meet all requirements and conditions, you will be considered for

appointment when your name is reached on the eligible list.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Training: Eligibles who are appointed will be required to complete and pass, before the end of the one-year

probationary period, an approved training course that includes practical train operation. Those probationary

employees who do not successfully complete this training course will be terminated from this position.

Promotion Test: A promotion examination for this title is being held for eligible City employees. The names

appearing on the promotion list will be considered first in filling vacancies.

Special Test Accommodations: If you plan to request special testing accommodations due to disability or an

alternate test date due to your religious belief, follow the instructions included with the “Application for

Examination.”

Well, depending on what you are learning in college, I recommend you stay in another type of job if you got a better pay job otherwise go (MTA)...

Sometimes it isn't always about money. After working for the NYC Department of Education for close to 5 years, I would rather work in a job that I can enjoy, such as working for the MTA as a C/R and T/O instead of being miserable in a place even if I were to make more money.

Sometimes it isn't always about money. After working for the NYC Department of Education for close to 5 years, I would rather work in a job that I can enjoy, such as working for the MTA as a C/R and T/O instead of being miserable in a place even if I were to make more money.

I agree, there are jobs that give you loads of money, at the same time, they give you loads of stress..

Depends on what your family needs, if it does not need a dire urge of cash, a lower pay job with less stress is probably better...

But hey, whatever makes you happy.

I agree, there are jobs that give you loads of money, at the same time, they give you loads of stress..

Depends on what your family needs, if it does not need a dire urge of cash, a lower pay job with less stress is probably better...

But hey, whatever makes you happy.

There aren't many less stressful jobs than being a T/O or C/R.

Not only is the job very stressful at times working for an anti-family rogue agency that hates its own employees is very stressful.

Not to mention being the lowest paid operators in the country working in the most expensive city.

Well you can always use NYCT as a stepping stone to get experience to work on a class 1 railroad. Go work for Amtrak, MNRR, LIRR, CSX, UP, BNSF, Norfolk Southern and make more money.

That is true,but the trade off would be the work schedule on the freight trains(CSX,UP,BNSF,Norfolk Southern). Most of the time you are away from home for days or weeks at a time.

I didn't know that NYCT TO's were the lowest paid compared to other major cities. I figured that after a few years you make no less than $70k yr.

That is true,but the trade off would be the work schedule on the freight trains(CSX,UP,BNSF,Norfolk Southern). Most of the time you are away from home for days or weeks at a time.

I didn't know that NYCT TO's were the lowest paid compared to other major cities. I figured that after a few years you make no less than $70k yr.

NYCT T/O's are the losest paid engineers in the country, current base pay is a pathetic $59,571/yr. LIRR and Metronorth make $7 more an hour for a similiar job, a much easier job with alot more "recovery" time.

This is the reason that the MTA has refused to allow the subway system to be federally recognized as a railroad because then they will have to pay it's employees what they deserve and they would be entitled to the federal protections and pension.

The work schedule isn't any bargain either. For at least the first 10 years as a T/O you will work all holidays and weekends. If you want a day off it is extremely difficult to get if it is a weekend day or a holiday. For the first 1-4 years you will work all over the system at all different times until you can pick the scrap jobs that are left over by the time it's your turn to pick a job.

• 4 weeks later...
I will be taking the Train Operator Exam in March. What study guide would you recommend? Do you have any advice that will help me get the job?

Thanks

Groggy2

You already have a thread opened and posted this same question in another thread. All this extra posting is not necessary. Stick to the thread you opened. http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7646

Alright so whats the process of being a Bus operator? Is there a restriction in terms of age, experience etc?

From the old Notice of Examination.

HOW TO QUALIFY:

Education and Experience Requirements: There are no formal education or experience requirements for this

exam.

Driver License Requirements: You must possess a motor vehicle driver license valid in the State of New York

for at least three years immediately prior to the date you are appointed to this position. If you have serious

moving violations, license suspension or an accident record, you may be disqualified. Additionally, you must

have either:

1. a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York with a passenger

endorsement and no restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work;

or

2. a Learner’s Permit for a Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York

with a passenger endorsement and no restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work.

If you are appointed under "2" above, you must obtain the Class B Commercial Driver License during the

training program in bus operation. (See “Additional Information” section, below.)

The Class B Commercial Driver License valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no

restrictions that would preclude the performance of Bus Operator work must be maintained for the duration of

employment.

Medical Requirement: Medical guidelines have been established for the position of Bus Operator. You will

be examined to determine whether you can perform the essential functions of the position of Bus Operator.

Where appropriate, a reasonable accommodation will be provided for a person with a disability to enable him

or her to take the examination, and/or to perform the essential functions of the job.

Drug Screening Requirement: You must pass a drug screening in order to be appointed.

Residency: City residency is not required for this position.

English Requirement: You must be able to understand and be understood in English.

Proof of Identity: Under the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, you must be able to prove your

identity and your right to obtain employment in the United States prior to employment with the City of New

York.

Archived