Reproduction New York City Subway Station Sign

Earle Baldwin

During a recent visit to the New York Transit Museum Store at Grand Central Terminal, I had the good fortune to discover and purchase a reproduction of the sign for the TA's 42nd Street - Grand Central Station.

The sign measures four inches by twelve inches and is metal in construction. Per contemporary TA practice, the background is black. Running the entire length of the sign near the top is a white stripe. Below the stripe in white letters is "42 St - Grand Central" with the S, 4, 5, 6 and 7 route heralds correctly depicted in white numerals reversed out of circular gray, green, green and purple backgrounds.

While shopping at the store, I noticed a wide selection of signs were in stock so you shouldn't have much difficulty finding one of your favorite stations. Samples are hung on the wall above the t-shirt racks to the right of the main entrance. The signs which are actually for sale are kept behind the counter so you'll have to ask the sales person for them.

The signs are priced just under $9 each which makes them a great value, particularly for those on a tight budget in these financially uncertain times. They are great conversation pieces and my sign has already become a popular highlight in my train room. Check them out during your next visit to the museum store.

Best regards,

Earle

Zach:

Thanks for sharing the photograph of your signs. The one I have and used for this review is the fourth one from the top. I have also tried to purchase the Stillwell Av - Coney Island sign two separate times but it was out of stock on both occasions. It must be one of the more popular items.

Zach:

Thanks for sharing the photograph of your signs. The one I have and used for this review is the fourth one from the top. I have also tried to purchase the Stillwell Av - Coney Island sign two separate times but it was out of stock on both occasions. It must be one of the more popular items.

No problem Man. And guys, please be advised, that the company who produces these signs only makes certain stations. Not all are produced. Whitehall St was never produced...

No problem Man. And guys, please be advised, that the company who produces these signs only makes certain stations. Not all are produced. Whitehall St was never produced...

Agreed.

They make select signs, usually for the most important/heavily used subway stations. That goes for Grand Central, Penn Station, Times Square, Herald Square, Coney Island...

Do they have one for Atlantic Pacific?

• 1 year later...

Archived