My iBook is broken

metsfan

Sigh. It's in 20 pieces and i'm not sure if apple is going to cover the problem that prompted the repair which i discovered half way into disassembly. A loose hinge screw caused the pieces around the hinge to act like a scissors to slowly damage the cable set that provides wireless, bluetooth, and power to the backlight. During the disassembly process, a connector pulled clean off of the logic board, vs the connector simply disconnecting/unclipping. I found evidence of abuse and damage perpetrated by a repair depot in TN (outsource repair depot) that could never have been discovered without an extensive disassembly. I will never trust repair depot again, always repair myself or have them repair at the retail store. Needless to say i am dismayed, shocked, saddened, and frustrated. I will update with photos/news as this crap unfolds.

- A

I hate to do this, but ha.

Nah, j/k. Sorry about your loss man. If you laptop is just completely shattered, yeah, something like that wouldn't be covered unless you have a warranty plan like I do with my camera (whatever happens, as long I can bring it back to them in anyway shape or form, I'll get a replacement for up to 2 years).

Sigh. It's in 20 pieces and i'm not sure if apple is going to cover the problem that prompted the repair which i discovered half way into disassembly. A loose hinge screw caused the pieces around the hinge to act like a scissors to slowly damage the cable set that provides wireless, bluetooth, and power to the backlight. During the disassembly process, a connector pulled clean off of the logic board, vs the connector simply disconnecting/unclipping. I found evidence of abuse and damage perpetrated by a repair depot in TN (outsource repair depot) that could never have been discovered without an extensive disassembly. I will never trust repair depot again, always repair myself or have them repair at the retail store. Needless to say i am dismayed, shocked, saddened, and frustrated. I will update with photos/news as this crap unfolds.

- A

I'm thinking you voided the warranty when you opened the case. Sorry to hear about the damage. ;)

So, i replaced what i thought was the problem part, and it's still weird. I'm going to take ot an apple retail location in manhattan & see what they quote me for repair. I need it working.

I don't have enough money to get a respectable replacement right now, not even an older macbook (which i despise). It's either the inverter board, or the logic board that is causing the problem. If it's the logic board then that's all i need replaced. If it's the inverter i still need to replace the logic board because of the damaged port for the mic.

The repair took 2 hours and was pretty simple. It involved taking the computer all most all the way apart, but it went back together really fast.

As for selling for parts, no can do, it has technologies combined in a way that works really well for me, plus if i did that i'd still need a portable.

I'll have some photos as soon as i can get them off of my phone. :)

- A

So, i replaced what i thought was the problem part, and it's still weird. I'm going to take ot an apple retail location in manhattan & see what they quote me for repair. I need it working.

I don't have enough money to get a respectable replacement right now, not even an older macbook (which i despise). It's either the inverter board, or the logic board that is causing the problem. If it's the logic board then that's all i need replaced. If it's the inverter i still need to replace the logic board because of the damaged port for the mic.

The repair took 2 hours and was pretty simple. It involved taking the computer all most all the way apart, but it went back together really fast.

As for selling for parts, no can do, it has technologies combined in a way that works really well for me, plus if i did that i'd still need a portable.

I'll have some photos as soon as i can get them off of my phone. :)

- A

Good thing you got it back up and hopefully working for a long time.

Good thing you got it back up and hopefully working for a long time.

Well, it's less worse than i thought, i first thought it was the HD power cable that popped off the board, but it's just the mic cable. However, i put the inverter cable assembly in, and it's still having issues. So now, i need to, to save money, have it tested and see what EXACTLY needs replacing, and go from there. I did all i could. If it's a logic board problem, it can wait till i can afford it, if it's the inverter it needs to be done ASAP, no sense in having it offline just because of one small/cheap part.

- A

What symptoms is the machine showing, also what generation is it? I've fixed many an iBook...

Me too.:cool:

iBook G4 mid 2005. The last iBook model 12 inch. It has a backlight going off randomly & only sleep resets it back to on type thing going on. I JUST replaced the inverter cable assembly, so i'm guessing it's the inverter or the logic board at this point, however i will check to make sure the inverter cable is plugged in snugly when i can.

- A

My bets are on the inverter. I know at least two people who had the same issue, both fixed with a cheap inverter swap.

Sadly the inverter is even harder to get to than the cable assembly, and more expensive too.

- A

You sure we're talking about the same piece? I'm looking at this: http://www.ifixit.com/iBook-Parts/iBook-G3-or-G4-Display-Inverter/IF150-043

Yes. I just heard buzzing from the hinge coinciding with backlight flickering. Inverter. Man i don't want to take that thing apart again hahah! Thankfully i believe all i'll have to do is take the back of the screen off (the apple logo piece of plastic) to do the fix. I'll do the "is everything plugged in?" check now before i buy anything.

- A

Archived