Strange Note from Beggar

MattTrain

Strange Note from Beggar.

There's a note given to me by a person who's poor of course. Happened two nights ago aboard a (Q) train to Coney Island.

ScannedImage.jpg

It reads "Hello, Smile, I Am Deaf, and I am Homeless. Support. Please, you help pay me $.75 or $1.00. Thank you, God Bless you Turn over (that's when money is handed over) Hand I Love You.

Isn't that strange. A weird way of begging for money. If you are approached by this person, pretend you are sleeping so are not given this note. The person asks for it back by the way, but I hid this. Wow, this "deaf" person is having a way to beg for money, but the passengers weren't buying it.

Anyways, watch out for this person, especially on the (Q).

Well in my opinion, as a catholic, i help the poor, when ever im able to. Its sad to see Homeless people and animals looking for shelter on a COLD season up the in the NorthEast

Although i dont find it weird for begging. Hes death, how is he suppose to communicate with any1 if he cant hear, or possiably unable to speak. Its like when I was at BK at 34th street and 8th, a few times i see a guy doing the same thing.

Plus they offer this paper so people can learn sign language, but a lot of people doesnt care at all, which is disappointed. I dont know myself, but as long as i help im fine =)

Well in my opinion, as a catholic, i help the poor, when ever im able to. Its sad to see Homeless people and animals looking for shelter on a COLD season up the in the NorthEast

Although i dont find it weird for begging. Hes death, how is he suppose to communicate with any1 if he cant hear, or possiably unable to speak. Its like when I was at BK at 34th street and 8th, a few times i see a guy doing the same thing.

Plus they offer this paper so people can learn sign language, but a lot of people doesnt care at all, which is disappointed. I dont know myself, but as long as i help im fine =)

The only thing is, it's illegal to panhandle on the subway, for various reasons, which I'm sure people know. Doesn't matter whether you're Catholic or not.

I'm Catholic too, and I'm appalled at the situation of some of the homeless in the city. But I'm a law-abiding citizen as well (not saying that you aren't in any way) and if panhandling is illegal on the subway, I'm not gonna support that. There are (supposedly) facilities that these people can go to for help, no?

Panhandling is illegal in the subway system, no matter how it's done, singing, playing an instrument, shaking a cub with coins for attention, giving a speech, begging for sympathy, etc. The only exception to this legally is if you are hired by the (MTA) Arts for Transit to actually perform musical acts at subway stations, platforms or mezzanines, but not inside subway train cars. You show your identification by a banner bearing the (MTA) logo.

Panhandling to me in the subway, illegally is a form of harassment. No way am I going to fall for their tricks. I just don't feel sorry for them, if they are begging for money, then how did they pay their subway fare in the first place? Most riders are informed "Soliciting money in the subway is illegal, we ask you not to give, please help us maintain an orderly subway."

If this was outside the subway system, yeah I might spare some change, but riding, no.

That's all I'll say for now.

Mark, if you are really interested in helping, why not check out local organizations and volunteer your time or money to them. Don't fall for their tricks of panhandlers in the subway. A few years ago, there used to be this couple on the L train that everyday would be on the (L) asking for money to help "bury" their daughter. It was either a guy one day or a lady the next. They were never on the train together. This went on for weeks. It was pretty obvious that it was just a BS story meant to tug at your heart and get into your wallet.

Strange Note from Beggar.

There's a note given to me by a person who's poor of course. Happened two nights ago aboard a (Q) train to Coney Island.

It reads "Hello, Smile, I Am Deaf, and I am Homeless. Support. Please, you help pay me $.75 or $1.00. Thank you, God Bless you Turn over (that's when money is handed over) Hand I Love You.

Isn't that strange. A weird way of begging for money. If you are approached by this person, pretend you are sleeping so are not given this note. The person asks for it back by the way, but I hid this. Wow, this "deaf" person is having a way to beg for money, but the passengers weren't buying it.

Anyways, watch out for this person, especially on the (Q).

Wow, I remember seeing these notes when I was a kid. They used to give these cards out or just leave it on empty seats, but it had a pencil attached that cost $1.00

I'm guilty of always giving change too if I have it B)

The only thing is, it's illegal to panhandle on the subway, for various reasons, which I'm sure people know. Doesn't matter whether you're Catholic or not.

I'm Catholic too, and I'm appalled at the situation of some of the homeless in the city. But I'm a law-abiding citizen as well (not saying that you aren't in any way) and if panhandling is illegal on the subway, I'm not gonna support that. There are (supposedly) facilities that these people can go to for help, no?

has that rule been enforced, cuz i see homeless people panhandling in the system, even when cops are around and T/w workers and nothing happens...

i kno its a rule, but its about enforcing mate

Only time I ever gave someone money was someone in Penn looking for a quarter to complete their $6.25 purchase. I'm standing in line and she's rifling through her HUMONGOUS bag looking for a quarter, had to swoop in with the "Looks like you need a quarter! Here, take my quarter!". I wasn't missing the last train headed to Valley Stream. :mad:

Oh! There was another time in the 125th street station (CPW) some homeless-lookin guy came around asking for 10 cents, I was like sorry bud, best I can do is a quarter, you shoulda seen the look on his face, ha.

Only time I ever gave someone money was someone in Penn looking for a quarter to complete their $6.25 purchase. I'm standing in line and she's rifling through her HUMONGOUS bag looking for a quarter, had to swoop in with the "Looks like you need a quarter! Here, take my quarter!". I wasn't missing the last train headed to Valley Stream. :mad:

Oh! There was another time in the 125th street station (CPW) some homeless-lookin guy came around asking for 10 cents, I was like sorry bud, best I can do is a quarter, you shoulda seen the look on his face, ha.

Panhandlers have been doing this for years... it's nothing new.

That is quite weird.

has that rule been enforced, cuz i see homeless people panhandling in the system, even when cops are around and T/w workers and nothing happens...

i kno its a rule, but its about enforcing mate

Wow, I remember seeing these notes when I was a kid. They used to give these cards out or just leave it on empty seats, but it had a pencil attached that cost $1.00

I'm guilty of always giving change too if I have it B)

It's easy falling for their tricks, because they sound desperate. It's sad that these people have to go through these tough times. However, with financial situations not getting better anytime soon, everyone's holding on to their money.

It's nothing new, but the abundant rate of begging in the subway is becoming quite an annoyance.

The person who handed that note was a woman, who didn't say a word, just handed these out. Yes I felt bad, but I didn't have any change on me. Others just pretended to sleep so she couldn't disturb the passengers.

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Archived