Bailout is possible for MTA as early by Monday 3/9/09

Shortline Bus

MTA fare hikes looming unless state Legislature comes to the rescue

BY Pete Donohue and Glenn Blain

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, March 13th 2009

Straphangers could get socked with another fare hike next year - an unprecedented third in a row - if the state Legislature doesn't come to the rescue, transit sources revealed Thursday.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority projects a $300 million budget gap in 2010 - even if it increases fares by as much as 30% in June and implements sweeping service cuts this spring.

MTA board members have been summoned to an emergency meeting at headquarters this morning to start grappling with the crisis.

The agency had hoped the Legislature would agree to a bailout, including putting tolls on the city's now-free bridges, but no deal has been reached. If no help from either Albany or Washington is made by the MTA self imposed deadline of Next Friday March 20, the so called Doomesday Budget will become a reality.

Without a pact, double-digit fare hikes and deep service cuts are almost certain this summer. The MTA is ready to set new fares on March 25. A monthly MetroCard, now $81, could rise to $103.

The MTA today will start looking at worse scenarios for 2010 and beyond, sources said.

"I think they are doing the responsible thing," former MTA Chairman Richard Ravitch said. "The public has a right to know - and the board has the responsibility to figure out - what kind of system it can operate with the revenues they have. They have to start thinking about shrinking the system."

Ravitch headed a state commission that recommended tolling the city's free East and Harlem River bridges, and enacting an employer-paid payroll tax.

The main stumbling block to a bailout so far is the tolls opposed by almost all of the State Senate and Assembly Members from the City's Outerboroughs.

The cash would enable the MTA to scale back fare hikes to 8% and avoid shutting some bus routes and subway lines.

The Ravitch plan also would help fund the MTA's capital program, which pays for day-to-day maintenance, upgrades and system expansion.

c) 2009 NY Daily News Inc. pdonohue@nydailynews.com

I hate this f***** government. What's the problem, they can't decide on tolls. This is stupid. Just pay the damn tolls and get it over with. Everybody else has to pay tolls, why don't just agree on this?

This government sucks and I hope they all get impeached or thrown out of office (especially Patterson, HE SUCKS - sorry). The government does nothing for NYC, but they will fund for a High Speed Rail line from Buffalo to New York City.

And what was the purpose of the Stimulus package again?

I hate this f***** government. What's the problem, they can't decide on tolls. This is stupid. Just pay the damn tolls and get it over with. Everybody else has to pay tolls, why don't just agree on this?

This government sucks and I hope they all get impeached or thrown out of office (especially Patterson, HE SUCKS - sorry). The government does nothing for NYC, but they will fund for a High Speed Rail line from Buffalo to New York City.

And what was the purpose of the Stimulus package again?

Man, IAWTP, couldn't be said any better.

All they do is moan about these tolls. Well... excuse me, but the bridges have to be maintained SOME WAY, right??? So why not have tolls on those bridges so that revenue could be generated? People take too much for granted and now it is too late to regret.

The government should focus on more practical things than high speed rail lines. I mean, who the heck is going to use it? I mean, we already got air transport, why do we want HSR now? Is our economy prepared for it? Will it jump start an economy in decline? The government should pay attention to practical things, fix the economy first. Don't wander off dreaming about some grandiose plan. Fix the economy first, so that everyone does not have to suffer from this.

^^Some people are afraid to get on a air plane,and I don't blame them.

They built the Chunnel across the pond, and it is better than the airline service, so I say yes to high speed rail lines. But from Buffalo to NYC, I don't know about. Do people travel that much between both? As for the MTA thingy, well it sucks you all will have to pay more (for me somewhat)....:P:P:p.............

Speaking of Sheldon Silver, how would one like to have him and Charles Rangel, interrogating them. One on one side in one ear, the other, on the other, in the other ear.........

They built the Chunnel across the pond, and it is better than the airline service, so I say yes to high speed rail lines. But from Buffalo to NYC, I don't know about. Do people travel that much between both? As for the MTA thingy, well it sucks you all will have to pay more (for me somewhat)....:):P:P.............

Speaking of Sheldon Silver, how would one like to have him and Charles Rangel, interrogating them. One on one side in one ear, the other, on the other, in the other ear.........

Off topic for moment. As someone who drives to Western NY (Buffalo)usuallly in summer to visit relatives in Toronto Ontario Canada, every year or two i dont think a high speed rail line between Western NY and NYC is a top proprity. For Albany-NYC that more needed and be done first.

IMO a Buffalo-NYC High speed rail line is ever bulit it be done so as part of either a Chicago-NYC line or a NY-Toronto line.

Off topic for moment. As someone who drives to Western NY (Buffalo)usuallly in summer to visit relatives in Toronto Ontario Canada, every year or two i dont think a high speed rail line between Western NY and NYC is a top proprity. For Albany-NYC that more needed and be done first.

IMO a Buffalo-NYC High speed rail line is ever bulit it be done so as part of either a Chicago-NYC line or a NY-Toronto line.

There has been plans to do this forever, i believe the nyc-albany tracks are pretty fast, but its the tracks going north and west from there that are the issue. I guess we'll see what happens, and if the freight rail co's feel obliged to upgrade the line, if amtrak paid them to do it i'm sure they would.

- A

Archived