Philly by Ghostface Brown

Here are the cell phone pictures I took from my trip to Philly in December, sorry I wasn't able to post them, I've just been very busy with work in the past couple of months.

Here's the (G) train that I took from Classon Avenue to Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets, I then took the (A) train to Penn Station and the Keystone to 30th Street, but forgot to take pictures of either:

81002_image001.jpg

I then took the R3 to West Trenton from 30th Street and back to 30th Street after waiting on a long line for tickets at 30th Street. The ride was nice, but I hated the seats on SEPTA's Arrow III and West Trenton was more isolated than I though it would be, also I'm curious to see how "Bethairs" (IIRC) got its cool name:

81003_image032.jpg

81004_image039.jpg

I then took the very nice-looking Market-Frankford subway to Orthodox although I wasn't able to get a photo as the train was already there once I got to the platform. After I got off the Market-Frankford subway, I then took the Route 75 trackless trolley to the ugly, isolated, and full of crack heads Wayne Junction:

81007_image043.jpg

I then took the very short (compared to the platform at least) R8 train to the ugly Suburban Station, where I picked up a copy of the R6 Cynwyd train (turns out that it's pronounced like Kin-wid):

81008_image046.jpg

I then took a VERY old R6 train to Norristown Transportation Center, the seats on that thing were like the seats on the trains at the transit museum in NY:

81009_image051.jpg

I then took the ugly, but very fast Route 100 express train to 69th Street terminal:

81011_image055.jpg

I then took the Route 102 trolley to Aldan (I thought it was Aidan) R3 station, and took the R3 to 49th Street. For some reason the conductor made a remark at me saying that she knew I wasn't going into the "city", and the staircase at the northern end of the seemingly seldom-used 49th Street station could use some repairs or have better visibility at night. I almost tripped and fell off that thing 3 times:

81013_image059.jpg

I then took the Route 13 trolley to City Hall after being confused if I was going the right way for a little while because the trolley was signed as City Hall in the front, and "Darby" (or something like that) on the sides:

81012_image063.jpg

I then took the ugly Broad Street train to Girard:

81014_image064.jpg

I didn't catch the old PCC trolley like I wanted to as a shuttle bus came instead because of some issues with the trolley that it replaced I guess, but I was just glad it came as I didn't like the area around Girard, although I did see the old trolleys going to other way to West Philly:

81015_image065.jpg

I then took the Market-Frankford subway back to 30th Street, and I noticed how nice the Christmas lights on a building to the north of 30th Street were at night, my day in Philly was done, and to be honest with you guy I was glad to be leaving such a seemingly grim city:

81016_image066.jpg

81017_image069.jpg

I then took the R7 back to Trenton and NJT back to Penn as I wanted to save money, I was so glad that to be back on a familiar NJT train as those seats on SEPTA's Arrow IIIs are uncomfortable and hard to sleep on:

81018_image071.jpg

:septa: is kinda deserted & creepy in winter some days. They don't have often enough service either.

Those old EMU are silverliner 2 from the 60's. Once owned & operated by PRR.

:septa:' budget per year is 950 million or so. With that they have to pay all the people, buy fuel, keep up lots of equipment, buy electricity from the grid, and so on. The funding needed to run everything the way it used to be in the 60's is about 2.5 billion in today's dollars. So you can see, they are not funded the way they need to be.

Hopefully that will change soon.

- A

First thing's first, new busses and new EMU. I believe they are getting some comet 1's from (NJT) to buy time till they can afford more push/pulls. That will likely be 3-4 years last i checked the budget. The likleihood of :septa: using old rebuilt (NJT) push/pull fleet into the future will depend if they can get federal dollars for their own new stuff vs second hand.

They will get new vehicles for the other lines, or major overhauls to the current vehicles depending on their 2013-2106 budget forecast.

DVARP is lobbying to get stimulus bill $ for new elevated and subway cars for :septa:. In the newsletter it states that :septa: can only do 1 or 2 renewal projects at a time with the current funding. Hopefully that will change and things can move forward, as the age & condition of some of the equipment is honestly embarrassing.

- A

Few things here:

Silverliner II's and III's were not only built for the PRR but the Reading as well.

Second: Septa already has their Comet I's from Transit, also SEPTA prefers MU's over the PP's. The PP's are in a pretty sad state IMHO, I sometimes wish transit would come and save that lone ALP44 they have down there.

:septa: is kinda deserted & creepy in winter some days. They don't have often enough service either.

Those old EMU are silverliner 2 from the 60's. Once owned & operated by PRR.

:septa:' budget per year is 950 million or so. With that they have to pay all the people, buy fuel, keep up lots of equipment, buy electricity from the grid, and so on. The funding needed to run everything the way it used to be in the 60's is about 2.5 billion in today's dollars. So you can see, they are not funded the way they need to be.

Hopefully that will change soon.

- A

Thanks for explaining that man, I was wondering why areas like Girard and N Broad and Wayne Junction were so isolated that day and how old the R6 train was.

SEPTA does not have Arrow IIIs. What you rode were Silverliners IVs.

Which are more closer in relation to NJT's retired Arrow IIs then the Arrow IIIs.

Thanks guys, I've never rode the Arrow II but I should have done more research before I made the post, sorry about that.

I hope so I even designed a new train for the BSS.

I hope it gets new trains too, the MFL train looked way nicer.

you guys have a lot of criticisms toward my hometown :P

I just didn't really like a lot of the people's attitudes, I thought that the people there would be more sociable/nice since it's the "City of Brotherly Love".

Archived