Which Is In Worst Condition?

Novabus 5000

Both fleet of cars are really good, most of the time when I ride them. I do have to admit the R38 cars roof's are really rusty when I see them at times and so are the R42. Some R42 cars are really looking good at times too.

I believe R38 are in worser condition.

Worser...you mean worst... :)

and I think the Admiral put it in the best way. Some of the R38s and R42s are more deteriorated than others. That's why the ones that are in good condition have been coupled with other cars similar in design, like R38 with R32 and R40Ms with R42s.

I said no more talk of avoiding R42.

Anyways, i would say the R38 are haggered & their retirement is several years overdue. I've riden both in the last month, and the R42 is still viable for at least another year, though they may not last that long as more R160 are delivered.

- A

Anyways, i would say the R38 are haggered & their retirement is several years overdue. I've riden both in the last month, and the R42 is still viable for at least another year, though they may not last that long as more R160 are delivered.

- A

I actually agree with you man, the cars were expected to retire earlier.

From nycsubway.org

The planned retirement dates for some BMT-IND equipment is even more interesting:

* R-27: 1995

* R-30: 1997

* R-32: 2000

* R-38: 2002

* R-40: 2003

* R-42: 2004

* R-44: 2007

* R-46: 2011

I'm surprised they continued for 7 more years of their expected retirement date.

- A

i did not mention anything about avoiding R42s. the truth is all the St Louis cars are way past their retirement and crumbling at an unprecedented rate. R42s will not live to see 2010. it is the R32s that may.

I actually agree with you man, the cars were expected to retire earlier.

From nycsubway.org

I'm surprised they continued for 7 more years of their expected retirement date.

that is what happens due to rebuilding. most cars live for an average of 35 years and that is how that graph was calculated. i am not surprised to see the R32s going 46 years into service and i am pretty sure the R62s and R68s can hit 50 before they have to retire.

i did not mention anything about avoiding R42s. the truth is all the St Louis cars are way past their retirement and crumbling at an unprecedented rate. R42s will not live to see 2010. it is the R32s that may.

that is what happens due to rebuilding. most cars live for an average of 35 years and that is how that graph was calculated. i am not surprised to see the R32s going 46 years into service and i am pretty sure the R62s and R68s can hit 50 before they have to retire.

The R42s will go before the R32s, because they cannot be run on the C. And I am not sure about how you calculate this "rate".

The R42s will go before the R32s, because they cannot be run on the C. And I am not sure about how you calculate this "rate".

that is what i said about the R42s. i knew they would live to see the R32s be reefed. i cannot believe some people thought they would last in 2015 when it is quite obvious they would not last next winter. that chart from nycsubway.org is based on what year the cars were built. the average left expectancy for a nyc subway car is 35 years. that is why the R32s, which were built in 1964-65, were calculated to be retired in 2000. the same applies to all the other cars. take the years in your chart and subtract them by 35. you will get the years they went into service.

that is what i said about the R42s. i knew they would live to see the R32s be reefed. i cannot believe some people thought they would last in 2015 when it is quite obvious they would not last next winter. that chart from nycsubway.org is based on what year the cars were built. the average left expectancy for a nyc subway car is 35 years. that is why the R32s, which were built in 1964-65, were calculated to be retired in 2000. the same applies to all the other cars. take the years in your chart and subtract them by 35. you will get the years they went into service.

The reason for R32 to last longer is due to the outside steel. It's still intact after all of these years. But nevertheless, they will go down to the ocean. Just not now.

I'm referring to the "unprecedented rate" that you mentioned earlier.

Archived