ARC construction to begin this spring!

metsfan

It's official, the ARC project is going to be underway in a few short weeks after decades of increasing passengers and squeezed capacity, 2 new tunnels will be constructed along with tracks interlockings etc to facilitate the new tunnels and a new connection for several rail lines giving those riders a one seat ride into nyp.

Break out the seltzer water and ticker tape, because this is the most important new development in the region's history since PRR electrified between NYC and philidelphia.:eek::tup:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-03-12-nybigdig_N.htm

- (A)

NJT should really consider connecting those new tunnels to the East River Tunnel so Amtrak can use it as well.

I could not agree with you more! I believe the orignal plan called for an Amtrak connection...why they took this out I don't know.

I could not agree with you more! I believe the orignal plan called for an Amtrak connection...why they took this out I don't know.

Only reason i can think of is water tunnel #3, or possible connection to GCT.

- A

It has to do with the water tunnel but they have a problem with another one if they want to connect to GCT.

If they were going to connect with GCT, they would put bracing in the water tunnel. Since the tunnel isn't nearly ready to be completed, it's still a possibility, though unlikely (sadly).

- A

• 3 weeks later...

As important as ARC is, be aware that 2 new bridges are going to be built to support it. 1 will directly replace Portal Bridge(100 years old) and will be a 2 track lift or swing design at the same location. The other will link the ARC tubes w/ a new connection to NWK Penn. This will be a 3 trk high span that will bypass Secaucus Jct several mile east. This should allow Amtk to cut the run time to Nwk by 5-8 min since they won't have to compete w/ NJT for trk space over the current line and have to wait for bridge openings. Sounds like a good plan to me. :tup:

(NJT) :nec: :septa:

Yes, amtrak is cooperating with the alignment and interlocking and whatnot to allow full integrated ARC support. Once these 2 projects are complete, it will be seamless.

On a related note, the Dock lift bridge may get a full repaint and some repairs, though i have not seen any EIS documentation to that effect, however i have heard it from various amtk and (NJT) employees that it is a "asap" goal.

- A

Yes, amtrak is cooperating with the alignment and interlocking and whatnot to allow full integrated ARC support. Once these 2 projects are complete, it will be seamless.

On a related note, the Dock lift bridge may get a full repaint and some repairs, though i have not seen any EIS documentation to that effect, however i have heard it from various amtk and (NJT) employees that it is a "asap" goal.

- A

Dock needs the work and it will get it, its just a matter of when. That thing is an amazing piece of crap when you look at it from the ground btw.B)

Dock needs the work and it will get it, its just a matter of when. That thing is an amazing piece of crap when you look at it from the ground btw.B)

It is strikingly beautiful and bad looking at the same time. It's like it had a rough weekend in a bad part of town and its passed out just short of the front door (nyc). B):cool:

On a more serioius note, yes, it looks really haggered. The years have not been kind to it, mostly due to PC not taking care of it.

You know, it's kind of sad that PC failed and struggled as it did, it really should have been implemented better and given time to adapt signaling unions etc, not only that, but we are still working today to reverse some of the neglect they were forced to resort to. C'est la vie. :(

- A

Oh also related to Dock. (NJT) HQ has an unobstructed view of the engineering masterpiece. I wonder if the condition of it bothers some of the office employees......

- A

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I'm sure its really bothering Sarles...B)

when this new tunnel is finished, the Port Jervis line is in dire need to be extended to NY-Penn Station.

Bergen County and Rockland/Orange Counties are among the fastest growing regions in entire East Coast population-wise. The GWB and Tappan Zee in addition to the Lincoln Tunnel is a parking lot.

when this new tunnel is finished, the Port Jervis line is in dire need to be extended to NY-Penn Station.

Bergen County and Rockland/Orange Counties are among the fastest growing regions in entire East Coast population-wise. The GWB and Tappan Zee in addition to the Lincoln Tunnel is a parking lot.

I think that would be a mistake, i think it would encourage even more growth, which while not 100% bad, development needs to slow the hell down in the northeast or we'll have no open land left. I think PATH from hoboken and using the SEC transfer are good options for now.

Port jervis.... I think they need some faster speeds on the line, and maybe a few more trains per day, but not direct service to NYC, i just feel that would not be a good thing, even if i can't quantify it.

- A

I think that would be a mistake, i think it would encourage even more growth, which while not 100% bad, development needs to slow the hell down in the northeast or we'll have no open land left. I think PATH from hoboken and using the SEC transfer are good options for now.

Port jervis.... I think they need some faster speeds on the line, and maybe a few more trains per day, but not direct service to NYC, i just feel that would not be a good thing, even if i can't quantify it.

- A

Again Metsfan have you been on the Port Jervis line? At least weekday service direct to NYC is badly needed on Pt Jervis for the population boom in Bergen, Rockland and Orange Counties. I thought Metsfan you wanted cars off the road? This would help take cars off the lincoln tunnel, GWB and even the Tappan Zee Bridges. Even crowding on the Path line too.

Again Metsfan have you been on the Port Jervis line? At least weekday service direct to NYC is badly needed on Pt Jervis for the population boom in Bergen, Rockland and Orange Counties. I thought Metsfan you wanted cars off the road? This would help take cars off the lincoln tunnel, GWB and even the Tappan Zee Bridges. Even crowding on the Path line too.

I'm saying that maybe the population boom ISNT good and people should not be building houses on former farmland & wooded areas.

There has to be a balance between transportation and development. Making more trains will only encourage further development of said areas. I think that if zoning codes were changed to have a LARGE minimum property size, that would be fine, like 3-5 acres per house legally non-sub-divisible.

It's all one big picture all inter-connected. Taking cars off roads is not a win if it means more land turned into houses.

- A

• 1 month later...

Archived