Differrences between driving CNG and Diesel

Queens Surface

CNGs have I believe huger exhaust manifolds, I don't know the exact differences but CNG is compressed natural gas (3600 PSi) and diesel is basically ran by diesel. Notice that also every CNG has a pfffft ffft fft sound from the turbo, I don't know many diesels that have that. The Orion V has a stiffer suspension settup as when a Orion V CNG goes over a pothole the bus rocks and roll left and right lol.. Orion V CNGs have 5 gears while Orion Vs have 4 gears in the MTA, so Orion V CNGs have a higher top speed.

Gears doesn't mean higher speed.....

As for the difference driving them, there is none. All a driver needs to know is how to overcome a gas leak, and where not to take a CNG if there is a gas leak. Outside of that, it is the same as driving a diesel. I drove all type of diesel buses, and coaches, and 2 models of NYCTA CNG (Orion VII, and NF C40LF). The Flyer is superior IMO. Never drove the Orion V CNG, so I can't attest to how I feel about that bus model........

Gears doesn't mean higher speed.....

As for the difference driving them, there is none. All a driver needs to know is how to overcome a gas leak, and where not to take a CNG if there is a gas leak. Outside of that, it is the same as driving a diesel. I drove all type of diesel buses, and coaches, and 2 models of NYCTA CNG (Orion VII, and NF C40LF). The Flyer is superior IMO. Never drove the Orion V CNG, so I can't attest to how I feel about that bus model........

I know that gears don't mean higher speed, I studied them and it doesn't take a genuis to find out Orion V CNGs are capable of more speed on highway than Orion Vs. ;) I've been on both doing top speed, 6011 doing 67MPH and 9832 doing over 75MPH.

Well I don't know if the driver has anything to do with it but I read that CNGs fuel 7 times faster than diesel.

I know that gears don't mean higher speed, I studied them and it doesn't take a genuis to find out Orion V CNGs are capable of more speed on highway than Orion Vs. ;) I've been on both doing top speed, 6011 doing 67MPH and 9832 doing over 75MPH.

Well I don't know if the driver has anything to do with it but I read that CNGs fuel 7 times faster than diesel.

The CNG's take longer to fuel than diesels. They have to pump at a set rate, so they don't risk an explosion. When at was at the Farms, the diesels would fuel up far faster than the CNG's. As for speed, I know the Orion V CNG's are very fast, some have no governors. i have quite a few buddies who told me about those buses. That is because the private lines let those things be capable of running, not crawling, unlike TA........

The CNG's take longer to fuel than diesels. They have to pump at a set rate, so they don't risk an explosion. When at was at the Farms, the diesels would fuel up far faster than the CNG's. As for speed, I know the Orion V CNG's are very fast, some have no governors. i have quite a few buddies who told me about those buses. That is because the private lines let those things be capable of running, not crawling, unlike TA........
True that, Jackie Gleason V CNGs are snails compared to College Point and Spring Creek V CNGs but then again those older V CNGs in JG got different gear ratios than MTAB CNGs. And you're right about them not having governers, I actually don't remember riding a governed one.

I've been on all three of a C40 LF, Orion 7.501 CNG and Orion V CNG. The fastest one IMO is the C40LF.
All C40LFs are governed at 40MPH, 5th gear (also the last gear) shifts at ~40MPH. Some VII CNGs are completely ungoverned, and most V CNGs TA wide is ungoverned. C40LFs are falling apart, though last year they was serious business, now they're ehh, not as deceptively quick as they used to be (of course there's quite a few good ones left but lots have fell off). You should get a ride on 317, 7686, 7750, 7808, 9832, 9899, 9929, 9990, those are the most rememberable bus rides I've had, and boy all those right there are serious.

CP Orion V CNGs takes the competition out when it comes to a battle of CNGs imo. Especially the ungoverned sets. If you hang around Atlantic Ave & Van Wyck Expressway, deadheads would be flying down the expressway with ease. As for the VII NG CNG, cant really judge.

All C40LFs are governed at 40MPH, 5th gear (also the last gear) shifts at ~40MPH. Some VII CNGs are completely ungoverned, and most V CNGs TA wide is ungoverned. C40LFs are falling apart, though last year they was serious business, now they're ehh, not as deceptively quick as they used to be (of course there's quite a few good ones left but lots have fell off). You should get a ride on 317, 7686, 7750, 7808, 9832, 9899, 9929, 9990, those are the most rememberable bus rides I've had, and boy all those right there are serious.

My best ones were 882 and 892. 317 I have only seen once.

I think CP's CNG's are a whole lot fasterthan anywhere else. If you ride either the Q67 or the QBx1, you'll see why. I was on one om the Q67 a few weeks ago, and the bus hit 50 on Borden ave, and about 60 on 69 st. The QBx in the College Point area and the Pelham Bay Park area is even crazier.

Archived