Breaking News. Shooting at a community center in upstate NY

Shortline Bus

Breaking News. Around 1030am on (4/3/09)one or two gunmen took hostage at a community center in Binghamton,NY taking 40 people hostage.

Binghamton is an hour drive south or about 60 miles south of Syrcause in state's Central section. News reports state there might been 'falaties' but no offical word as the hostage situation up there is unfolding. Rumors are flying that one of the suspected gunmen is of Asian descent according to AP and local Central NY CBS station WBNG-TV. The American Civic Association meeting took place used as a place for newly arrived American immgrants. Story is again still unfolding.

Stay tuned.B)

Source. http://www.wbng.com

Breaking News. Around 1030am on (4/3/09)one or two gunmen took hostage at a community center in Binghamton,NY taking 40 people hostage.

Binghamton is an hour drive south or about 60 miles south of Syrcause in state's Central section. News reports state there might been 'falaties' but no offical word as the hostage situation up there is unfolding. Rumors are flying that one of the suspected gunmen is of Asian descent according to AP and local Central NY CBS station WBNG-TV. The American Civic Association meeting took place used as a place for newly arrived American immgrants. Story is again still unfolding.

Stay tuned.B)

Source. http://www.wbng.com

sorry to double post but the victims dead according to both Gov Paterson and Binghamton police is at least 12 dead as of 3pm today.(4/3/09)

Now, it's 15 dead. Sad story. The suspect lost his job at IBM. They have laid off alot of workers, but why shoot up the immigration office. They didn't lay him off.......

Sadly, I think more of this will be happening. People just are losing it now, with no jobs........

Oh my God...

Kinda off-topic, but, when did the VTech incident occur? Like around this time 2 years ago, right?

That's bad, the VTech shooting happened April 16, 2007. Cho Seung-Hui shoots dead 30 students and 2 instructors.

Back to topic, that shooter killed 15 people in a NY immigration center, man what is the world going through these days?

In about two weeks from now. Also, on April 20th will mark a decade since the Coulmbine Massacre.

April is really messed up.

Not really a shooting incident or anything, but the Oklahoma City bombing took place on 19th April 1995, IIRC.

And yeah, Columbine took place on the 20th in 1999. Supposedly Cho was inspired by those two murderers at Columbine.

This is just sad though... I mean, you got laid off, but does that mean you could take some guns and shoot up some innocent young people?

Something like this doesn't happen very often. Millions of people across the USA have gotten fired/laid off within the past few months. This guy took it to the extreme,we all get angry and some of us even fantasize about doing what this guy did but to people who have done us wrong,why he choose that place to do this we may never know.

Imagine what the outcome would have been if just one of the person's trapped in there was armed.

April is really messed up.

Not really a shooting incident or anything, but the Oklahoma City bombing took place on 19th April 1995, IIRC.

And yeah, Columbine took place on the 20th in 1999. Supposedly Cho was inspired by those two murderers at Columbine.

This is just sad though... I mean, you got laid off, but does that mean you could take some guns and shoot up some innocent young people?

I agree. This guy is sick. Losing a job does not warrant murder. You can always get a new job.

I think you said that the suspect was 'a immigrant who worked at IBM'...

"This did not happen at Bing U or ANY SCHOOL, but rather at an Immigration Facility or something."

@R68- you are completely right. These people should learn how to cope, not kill. What was in this guy's mind anyways?

This did not happen at Bing U or ANY SCHOOL, but rather at an Immigration Facility or something. There is an article on wiki.

The shooter's name is Voong Linh Phat, a Vietnamese immigrant who got laid off of IBM. 14 died and 42 injured.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binghamton_shootings

MTR sorry for mix up. When i heard it on radio for 1st time, the announcer said the shooting/hostage situation was occuring at "Binghamton High School.'

Not to later was it confirmed it occured at the immigration center.

The Imigration Center is just a short walk to Binghamton HS.

FYI. SUNY Binghamton is on 'other side' of town in the suburian town next door of Vestal, NY.

Little personal sad note as i attended summer school at SUNY Binghamton in 1995.:cry: I know that area of Central NY very well.

Oh, my bad...

Well, for my knowledge of brains... That guy who killed so many people really probably think 'These immigrants are taking our jobs, we have no jobs now!'

Contray to that thinking the suspected gunman according to the media is of Vietnaism descent and police think he did this horror show because he lost his job recently at IBM.

Archived