What is the best NYC subway book to read?

jrh5157

Subwayguy, one thing about that book. the deffinition of SMEE is 100% WRONG (pictures Jeff H going on for an hour about how they guy is full of sh*t). And also I gots me them connections for some good car equipment books and not just for the R143. Oh and I won't spill the beans of "that" car but I still have not seen it.

Yup the "SMEE" definition is one of a handful of things incorrect in there...

As for the guesses you guys are very warm but you are "beating around the bush". Zach got the location right but none of you have guessed the car.

Composite is close but not right...Keep guessing...remember there are no surviving Composites, so if it was one, that would have been one hell of a find. This car still exists!

IRT Mineola

Yup you got it! As for your prize it will have to wait until my computer gets fixed (again...I think I'm getting a new one this time. Compaq/HP's are pieces of crap). Anyway, your prize will be some "exclusive shots" of the interior of the Mineola that I took last fall.

Yup you got it! As for your prize it will have to wait until my computer gets fixed (again...I think I'm getting a new one this time. Compaq/HP's are pieces of crap). Anyway, your prize will be some "exclusive shots" of the interior of the Mineola that I took last fall.

Its a very unique car. I only remembered it because if the very empty bottom of the car.

• 11 months later...

"Uptown Downtown" "A Trip Through Time On New York's Subways" by Mr. Stan Fischler. Copyright 1976.

This book includes a 1976 Guide To Knowing And Enjoying New York City's Subway Routes and an appendix listing opening dates of sections by I.R.T., B.M.T., and IND, and a chronology of the els. Two sections of photographs are included. A minaturized New York City subway map minus the service guide is on page ix. There is a table of contents and an index.

Ms. Rebecca Morris' Sunday Daily News article about her point to point twenty-hour journey in the subway system in the Autumn of 1973 is included.

The book, itself, is now a time trip to a time when subway fare was 50 cents, double letters were still in use and the newest subway cars were the R44s and R46s.

Try Abe Books, Borders Marketplace, Alibris or Amazon for a used copy of this out of print book.

Wow thanks for bumping this thread. I totally never got around to posting those pictures of the Mineola. The area it's stored is very dark so only one of these was taken using natural light and it should be pretty obvious which. Snapped in Fall 2008:

11j6539.jpg

Belmont's shitter:

5z4pxy.jpg

2j1abgm.jpg

2d0baww.jpg

Belmont's Desk:

2qn4ehx.jpg

352p36w.jpg

Motorman's Controls:

2upwfn7.jpg

28cf5uh.jpg

fm3zhg.jpg

2lvhf0o.jpg

I just picked up Underground Woman, was reading some of the sample pages on Google books, and it seemed rather interesting. Also picked up Subwayland: Adventures in the World Beneath New York and Transit Talk : New York's Bus and Subway Workers Tell Their Stories.

My friended gifted Subwayland to me almost three years ago. It's a great read all about life under the city. They also have nice coverage of 9/11 underground.

Archived