East Side Access - Status Update?

Maddog

• 2 months later...
It shouldn't be too difficult. A set of flyovers or under's connecting inbetween the mainline local and express before they start to descend to the current tunnel. There's a lot of "unused" space in that yard.

Aren't a few buildings being knocked down as well?

(in Sunnyside, that is)

I'm looking at the yard via Gmaps right now and I think a crossunder would be an unnecessary challenge, the Amtrak storage tracks and some MOW (I assume) buildings are right in the way.

So using logic, I'm guessing they'll swing the tracks over the Amtrak storage, bring them up and back down before the Honeywell St bridge.

According to the ESA wiki the new station will be at Queens Blvd and Skillman, so it won't have access to Grand Central, since the new portal is north of there.

According to the ESA wiki the new station will be at Queens Blvd and Skillman, so it won't have access to Grand Central, since the new portal is north of there.

The whole point of ESA is to allow the LIRR to access Grand Central, and the wiki says that it would be one stop from the new station into Manhattan... don't know what you're getting at.

The whole point of ESA is to allow the LIRR to access Grand Central, and the wiki says that it would be one stop from the new station into Manhattan... don't know what you're getting at.

Here's a quote from the wiki article (you did read it, didn't you?):

A new LIRR train station in Sunnyside at Queens Boulevard and Skillman Avenue[1] along the LIRR’s Main Line (into Penn Station) will provide one-stop access for area residents to Midtown Manhattan.

The three key words being: "into Penn Station".

Reading comprehension my friend, gain it. Re read what I wrote a bit more carefully.

Here's a quote from the wiki article (you did read it, didn't you?):The three key words being: "into Penn Station".

Reading comprehension my friend, gain it. Re read what I wrote a bit more carefully.

Reading comprehension fail on my part. At least you guys let me off kindly, unlike some other people on this forum.

Haha, I find it ironic that they're planning on opening up a new station along the main line, especially after giving up on the stations along the Long Island City branch. Although you can't blame the numbers - it would have cost them too much to renovate the stations for the incoming C3 bi-levels, but I stand by the opinion that the reasons these stations failed so hard is because they weren't kept up at all. I remember riding out to Glendale ONE time, and it was a totally different experience from riding the EMUs on the main line, or the C3s for that matter. The station was barely more than cracked ground-level platforms. I wonder if the new station, given it's projected location, might have some form of physical walkway to Queensboro Plaza or something.

Does anyone know if when ESA is completed, if it will pull current trains from Penn at all? I gather the M9 order will pretty much cover additional trains to Grand Central, but it will be interesting to see.

It's going to be such a change when ESA is completed. I guess no more switching to the (7)<7> at Woodside for those of us trying to get to GCT.

This is what I think ESA should eventually push the MTA to do, in order of importance:

Triple-track Mainline to Hicksville

Double-track to Ronkonkoma

Electrify Central Branch (Bethpage-Babylon)

Double-track to Port Jefferson

Electrify to Port Jefferson (this would avoid the need for a Huntington Yard)

Electrify to Sayville/Patchouge

As for the MTA's plan to electrify to Yaphank and a build yard there, I feel it's a waste of money.

Archived