Tunnel Above Bay Ridge Branch

Bracamonte

There are actually two extra trackbeds there, in case 4th Ave had been made four track past there. The current (R) tracks are on the other side of that structure. I had said that could be made into a mini yard for the (R), but I'm not sure whether the trackbeds extend beyond that outside portion. (You can see on both ends where the (R) tracks move out of the way toward the west to make room for them).

There is a rumor that the line was built as a 4 track line at least to 86th Street and that is why some of the niches or bricked over. Also in that rumor, Con Ed built something into one of the unused tunnels. If this is true or not I don't know, but at that bridge, the two unused tracks are only as long as the bridge and are sealed up. If you look at both Bay Ridge Ave and 77th Street stations, the N/B platforms have only a few columns only under fare control and there is alot of space under the platform. Also the N/B platforms at both stations are much wider then the S/B.

The LIRR was built first, it was grade separated before constructing the 4th Avenue line. When the BRT crews came to build the subway, they decided to build the line above the railway, they did not want to deal with grade changes, if they wanted to tunnel under the right of way. This bridge set up allowed for an even grade.

• 8 years later...

The bricked up niches go all the way to 59th to 86th street.

If you look under the stations bay ridge, 77th, 86th you will see one track bed and smaller bricked up niches.

I've walked that track  few times. it seems as someone has tried to break one of the bricked niches open over the years.

• Harry locked this topic

Archived