Bloomberg: "I Feel Perfectly Safe on the Subway"

mark1447

bloomberg2.jpg

Vice President Joe Biden might be afraid of the subways. But not Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who despite the swine flu, feels just as safe as ever.

“I took the subway here today as I do every day and I will continue to tomorrow as well,” Bloomberg said during a press conference this morning, diplomatically choosing not to express any outrage at Biden's irresponsible warning to avoid the subways amid the swine flu outbreak.

"This flu does not seem to be taking over the city, and so there's no evidence that being on the subway would, in a confined space increase dramatically the probability," Bloomberg said. "The bottom line is I feel perfectly safe on the subway."

Biden, himself a famed train commuter, unleashed one of his classic gaffes on the “Today” show this morning, inspiring fear and anger among thousands of New York City commuters.

"I wouldn't go anywhere in confined places now," Biden said when asked whether he would advise family members to use public transportation. "It's not that it's going to Mexico, it's you're in a confined aircraft when one person sneezes it goes all the way through the aircraft. That's me. I would not be, at this point … suggesting they ride the subway. "

Biden’s camp quickly clarified the controversial statement, saying the vice president had been cautioning people all along to avoid airplanes and other closed-in public spaces if they’re sick. Bloomberg choose to interpret the remarks the same way.

"I think what Joe Biden was saying [was that] if you have those symptoms you should stay home," Bloomberg said.

While the mayor acknowledged that the subway is a place where "people get together," he dismissed the idea that taking it would increase the likelihood that riders would get sick.

““I don’t see people coughing or sneezing on the subway .... taking the subway doesn’t seem to present any greater risks than doing anything else,” the mayor said.

Bloomberg also said that he expected the CDC to confirm five probable cases of swine flu at PS 177 in Queens this afternoon, and is probing a possible swine flu cluster at PS 21 in Flushing where a number of students have become ill.

"This is a flu that we would expect to spread further throughout the country and throughout the city," Bloomberg said, noting that most of the New York cases have been mild and people are recovering quickly. “The bottom line here is that we continue to monitor every incident vigilantly as we have done since the beginning. No one planning to visit New York City should think twice about it.”

Five probable cases of swine flu were also confirmed in New Jersey this morning. Those affected are a 47-year-old man, 14-year-old boy and 10-year-old girl from the same Burlington County family who recently traveled together to Mexico. Also, a 43-year-old woman in Monmouth County, and a 22-year-old woman in Bergen County.

All cases are mild and none of the victims have been hospitalized, authorities said.

So far, 11 states across the nation have reported 94 swine flu cases, but the number is only expected to rise. At this point, 49 people in New York City have confirmed swine flu and there are 16 other probable cases.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta is still the only entity that can officially confirm the swine flu strain, but an initial test conducted by the city on swabs from students at PS 177 has returned positive for animal flu. The CDC results, which will determine whether that animal strain is swine flu, are due back today, city health officials said.

The development comes as three more New York City parochial schools closed their doors today after students came down with suspected cases of swine flu, said a spokesman for the Brooklyn diocese.

The Bishop Kearney school in Bensonhurst said it was closing for the rest of the week as a precautionary measure over fears that several students may have come into contact with people who have swine flu.

Meantime, nine students at Good Shepherd in Marine Park and one student at St. Brigid in Bushwick have fallen sick with flu-like symptoms, according to the Rev. Kieran Harrington, a Diocese spokesman. The sick student at St. Brigid, a sixth-grader, has a brother who attends St. Francis Preparatory School in Queens, where there are more than two dozen confirmed cases of the virus.

At Good Shepherd, there are reports that an eighth grader may have tested positive for swine flu after his mother took him to the hospital yesterday where she works, Harrington said.

Both schools will remain shut Thursday and Friday while cleaning crews scour the facilities, he said. At St. Brigid, there are 223 students and Good Shepherd has 427, Harrington said.

The escalating global health emergency claimed the first death in the United States -- a 23-month-old Texas toddler. Swine flu is suspected of killing more than 150 people in Mexico and sickening over 2,400 there.

Source: WNBC 4- New York

April 30, 2009

The swine flu doesn't really seem to be affecting the city that much. All it is just increased paranoia. We still have the same amount of people going to school and riding the subway as last week.

Like I said, New Yorkers are more susceptible to paranoia than any physical disease.

Yeah, out of America's 330,000,000 people, 138 have it. Thats 0.00046 percent of the nation. And it killed one person here. Yet the mainstream media acts as if we're all going to die in 24 hours. Although yesterday when I checked the numbers of confirmed cases it was 48 people, now its 138. So we never know how much it will spread.

They have to test & wait for test results. It's not like its spreading to add cases, just positive results from existing cases.

It can do both though, add new cases and new confirmed positives.

In any case, how many here had a really bad unusual cold or such in the last 6 weeks? I know i have, so i may have all ready had it......

- A

Yeah, out of America's 330,000,000 people, 138 have it. Thats 0.00046 percent of the nation. And it killed one person here. Yet the mainstream media acts as if we're all going to die in 24 hours. Although yesterday when I checked the numbers of confirmed cases it was 48 people, now its 138. So we never know how much it will spread.

Correct.

Although humans naturally do not have immunity to this strain, we can control this in the States. It's not as virulent as the Spanish Flu, where people collapse on the street from disease.

The media hasn't had anything juicy to report in months. People are bored with the failing economy. Swine Flu is just something new to put on your ten o'clock report. Next week it'll be something new.

Keep in mind that media is a business, and that it has to keep rolling out new products as frequently as possible.

The media hasn't had anything juicy to report in months. People are bored with the failing economy. Swine Flu is just something new to put on your ten o'clock report. Next week it'll be something new.

Keep in mind that media is a business, and that it has to keep rolling out new products as frequently as possible.

The thing is though, people are shifting their attention from the economy to the flu.

Right on the money with it!

The news will juice anything up to keep ppl watching and to keep ppl buzzing about BS.

Next week it'll be some BS about tomatoes giving ppl lung cancer.

Right on the money with it!

The news will juice anything up to keep ppl watching and to keep ppl buzzing about BS.

Next week it'll be some BS about tomatoes giving ppl lung cancer.

"And coming up next at 10, are your children at risk of cancer from pencils? Coming up, next on Fox 5 News after 24"

Archived