I saw Construction at Smith & 9th Street Today

Maserati7200

For service? During the rehab work?

Just because the tracks are in service doesn't mean they're being actively used. Case in point: the switches that connect the Eighth and Sixth Avenue Lines at W4...in service but not used normally.

They have been working ther for the past several weeks now. Tracks B3 and B4 have tie bumers closing the tracks placed just south of Carroll Street and north of 4th Ave. The 3rd rail on B4 has been removed from just north of 4th Ave to north of Smith-9th Street. Work on B3 and 4 will last until September if I remember, then the work will start to affect service in that area.

Cross tie bumper.

tiebumper.jpg

Just because the tracks are in service doesn't mean they're being actively used. Case in point: the switches that connect the Eighth and Sixth Avenue Lines at W4...in service but not used normally.

Actually the connection from 6th Ave to 8th Ave just south of W4th Street IS out of service. They are working on replacing it, but since it is not in use, it may take then a while.

They have been working ther for the past several weeks now. Tracks B3 and B4 have tie bumers closing the tracks placed just south of Carroll Street and north of 4th Ave. The 3rd rail on B4 has been removed from just north of 4th Ave to north of Smith-9th Street. Work on B3 and 4 will last until September if I remember, then the work will start to affect service in that area.

Good. I hope the Culver Express is born again. IMO, I think the best option is to make the (G) full length, and run local to Church. Then the (F) runs express from Bergen to Church and continues on its regular route. I would love for the BMT express track to be used, but it really isn't necessary.

Good. I hope the Culver Express is born again. IMO, I think the best option is to make the (G) full length, and run local to Church. Then the (F) runs express from Bergen to Church and continues on its regular route. I would love for the BMT express track to be used, but it really isn't necessary.

Yea the (F) south of Church Ave is a ghost train. I never have seen it packed unless there is an emergency. But I can't wait for the real work to begin, temporary platforms and all, it should be fun.

Yea the (F) south of Church Ave is a ghost train. I never have seen it packed unless there is an emergency. But I can't wait for the real work to begin, temporary platforms and all, it should be fun.

Just saying I get off at Avenue I... but still I have to agree, it isn't necessary. Also, I wouldn't call it a ghost train, during rush hours, past Church, about 1/2 of the seats are taken,

Actually the connection from 6th Ave to 8th Ave just south of W4th Street IS out of service. They are working on replacing it, but since it is not in use, it may take then a while.
the mta takes a long time to do everything.always

the mta takes a long time to do everything.always

It's not used that often so there is no need to hurry especially when there is more important work to be done in other places.

Also, that post by G1Ravage on Subchat was to poke fun at Chipper10 since all he askers about is the (G) going to Church Ave. Why would they be removing the 3rd rail while preparing it for service?

It's not used that often so there is no need to hurry especially when there is more important work to be done in other places.

Also, that post by G1Ravage on Subchat was to poke fun at Chipper10 since all he askers about is the (G) going to Church Ave. Why would they be removing the 3rd rail while preparing it for service?

Oh no, another Chipper thread.

I was riding an R32 (F) train today and I saw those temporary walls which block away the express track lined up. If you don't know what I'm talking about, its this:

Construction022.jpg(Photo by Metatops)

I guess the Culver viaduct rehab project is about to begin..

This picture is on the Brighton, at Ave. U or Neck Rd.

(Or are you just using that as an example?)

Keep dreaming. The (V) is better suited terminating at 2nd Avenue.
Well at least the V has better use in Brooklyn. I would go with what someone else planned as to have the G terminate at Ditmars Av, while the V at Church Avenue. Put it this way, the F express riders from Queens mostly go to Manhattan and the riders from Brooklyn primarily goes into Manhattan as well. Since the F is already express in Queens, it would be more balanced to have the V run express in Brooklyn.

I was riding an R32 (F) train today and I saw those temporary walls which block away the express track lined up. If you don't know what I'm talking about, its this:

I guess the Culver viaduct rehab project is about to begin..

I saw that at Smith 9th Street today, that is interesting, the Culver Viaduct looks like it's going to be improved. I don't mind you using my Avenue U (Q) construction photo, it's totally fine with me. :cool: and thanks for the credit.

On a bit of a side note, while we are calling the section between Carroll and 4th Ave the Culver Viaduct, on the track schematic its refereed to as the Prospect Park Line.

Interesting point, thanks for sharing. :tup:

Archived