How many sets of R160 are on the F line?

Juggler24

this morning at 179 street station around 5am i got the R160 for the first time.......there was another R160 on the other Manhattan bound track......the car i was in was numbered 9197...........while the other train was in the 9223 series and this afternoon on my way home i saw another at Union Turnpike and that train was in the 9308 series..........my question is how many R160 does the (F) have ?

I don't know exactly how many trains as the number can fluctuate. You might have a new set at Jamaica Yard that recently ran in service. And the number of R160s on the (E) can differ each day. But I'll give you this formula: F(t) = JY(t)-E(t)

JY(t) = Number of R160s in service assigned to Jamaica Yard

E(t) = Number of R160s assigned to the (E) on a certain day

F(t) = Number of R160s assigned to the (F) on a certain day

To my observations and the datasheet, 240 R160s at Jamaica Yard are in service (no longer testing or awaiting testing), this means there are 24 R160s. They are split between the (E) and (F).

I figured the (F) only had a few sets because I hardly see R160s on that line.

It's true, but those trains (stalkers!), when on the (F), are attracted to me somehow. Ha. :cool:

I see a 2-3 every day on that line, on average.

It's difficult to try to catch an R160 on the (F) line. They seem very popular with the (E).

Well given the ratios, you have 20/26 for the (E) and 4/45 at most, on the (F).

So 76.9% of the time on the (E) you will catch R160s. And 8.9% of the trains on the (F) are R160s, that's why they are difficult to catch. The reason they flood the (E) with R160s is because the (E) requires 60 footers because they handle crowds better. And (E) riders (I heard this a lot) don't want to deal with older cars any more, especially when they are used to see NTT after NTT.

It's difficult to try to catch an R160 on the (F) line. They seem very popular with the (E).

yeah, with my luck when i went railfaning on the weekend, the first train i caught was an R42/R40M mixed. and every train going in the opposite direction was an R160 lol

Does anyone know if the (F) is going to be 100% R160 or is it going to be split between R46's and R160's? I don't see them much on the (F) but things keep on changing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a boatload of R160's on the (F) next month the way the MTA moves lately.

Does anyone know if the (F) is going to be 100% R160 or is it going to be split between R46's and R160's? I don't see them much on the (F) but things keep on changing, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a boatload of R160's on the (F) next month the way the MTA moves lately.

Ideally, the (MTA) plans for the (E) and (F) service to be 100% R160s due to CBTC being planned there. However, with (MTA), we will never know for certain.

It is very likely, especially IF Jamaica Yard does in fact receive the Option 2 order from both companies, excluding the 32 to ENY. Here is some math I did:

340 R160A Option 1 Order cars

70 R160B Option 1 Order cars

210 R160A Option 2 Order cars

140 R160B Option 2 Order cars

Total: 760 cars

Now, the (E) runs 26 trains, which makes 260 cars.

The (F) runs 45 trains at most, which makes 450 cars.

Combined, there is a number of 710 cars in service on both lines. This means that the (E) and the (F) may as well be 100% R160. The remaining 50 cars would be used for the (R).

Archived