Alot of SMEE's on the (R)

R32 3838

Since saturday, I have been seeing alot of SMEE's on the (R), Saturday the (R) had only 2 sets of R4oM/42 mixes, Sunday there were atleast 4-5 sets of R40M/42 mixes and 1 R32 trainset, Monday on Memoral Day there were a Total of 8 Trainsets of R40M/42 mixes and 1 R32 Trainset, Today 6-8 R40/42 Mixes and Plus 3 R32 Trainsets.

Saturday the (E)/(F) had 1 R32 transet

Sunday Most of the SMEE's were on the (R), Only 1 R40M/42 set on the (F), The (E) was all R160's

Monday 8 R40/42 on the (R)

Today The (E) had 1 r32 trainset

Plus The (R) ran 3 R40M/42 mixes all day.

Railfanned the (R) today. Got an R32, and two trains behind that one was another R32. This was at around 7:55 at Roosevelt Ave. Saw an R42 (R) going N/B at 36th St., and coming home at 6:50PM today I saw another R42 (don't know if it was the same one used in the morning). This morning I also saw 2 R42s on the (F) within 20 minutes of each other.

I was on the R32 this afternoon, I railfaned the (R) with R32's for the past 3 days, If you see this it means Ride the Slants on the (A) while you can, R46's are going to pitkin faster then ever. Memeroal day was the best day to Railfan the (R), The (R) was mostly SMEE's I was on the R32 of course, I was planning to ride an R42 today but the R32 poped out of nowhere so I took that, An R42 was 1 train away.

Sweet Catches! To clarify, the SMEEs acronym also means the R44-R68A for their braking systems, not just the R32-R42.

hmm I thought the R44 and R46 were not SMEE, but only R26/27/28/29/30/32/38/40/42/62/62A/68/68A and older?

Sweet Catches! To clarify, the SMEEs acronym also means the R44-R68A for their braking systems, not just the R32-R42.

R44s and R46s don't use SMEE, but the R68s do. SMEE is the two handed throttle and braking control. 44s and 46s have a single controller.

I was railfanning the Queens Blvd. line and almost all ®s were SMEEs. I guess this marks the end of the R42s really soon...

R44s and R46s don't use SMEE, but the R68s do. SMEE is the two handed throttle and braking control. 44s and 46s have a single controller.

Actually that's not entirely true. SMEE refers to the brake schedule, not necessarily the brake valve/controller type. When originally delivered the R44 and R46's had P-wire braking (a very early and unreliable electric brake). Sometime during or shortly after GOH, the P-wire system was removed and replaced with SMEE packages on both cars.

So in short, originally Not Smee, today SMEE.

Here's the easy way to look at it for all the pre-new tech passenger cars:

BU's/el cars, Q cars = AML

Hi-V = AMRE

R1-9, Lo-V, BMT Standards/Triplexes = AMUE

R10-R68 = SMEE

Actually that's not entirely true. SMEE refers to the brake schedule, not necessarily the brake valve/controller type. When originally delivered the R44 and R46's had P-wire braking (a very early and unreliable electric brake). Sometime during or shortly after GOH, the P-wire system was removed and replaced with SMEE packages on both cars.

From that standpoint, aren't the R44 and R46 technically SMEEs from the GOH?

Archived