ESPN

Shortline Bus

Does anyone here watch ESPN? In it's early days before Disney brought them & ABC in 1996, it was a cool sportstv station to watch. Particuarly it's Sportscenter news shows and maybe the best anchor duo in TV sportsnews history Dan Patrick and Keith Oberman.

Now flash foward to 2010 and my that station has changed. It's become so cheesy as 'entertainment' and controversy has become more important instead of genuine national sports headlines.

Not to mention on sportscenter, the primary attention now(lead story)is now always on the NBA, College Football and the NFL(the primary cable tv home of NFL games) the main sports ESPN now covers. Other sports such as even MLB Baseball, NHL Hockey and other scores/headlines from other sport leagues are now reglated to the end of the broadcast.

Not to mnetion the fisaco on the Lebron James TV special in which he had signed with the Miami Heat? Or during the start of NFL trainining camp in last couple of years, the endless reporting on whether Bret Favre will return to the NFL or not?

For instance tonight, 10/12/10, the 11pm Sportscenter had the first 20 minutes of scores/highlights to the NFL. While I understand from a national view the suprise slow start of the Cowboys at 1 win and 5 losses being the lead story, being fair there was no mention of the MLB Playoffs until 20 minutes until the show started. Granted the NFL is the most popular spectator sport in US but still it's amazing no mention of MLB post season. Could it also be, it a slap against Bud Selig since the LDS (1st round)playoff games that used to air on ESPN now air on rival Turner Sports?

Personally I do hope it's true the rumors are true that NBC-TV/Universal which is now owned by Comcast could develop a rival National sports network to be an alternative to the now cheessy ESPN. Feel free to discuss about ESPN?

football is the most popular sport out there...

just not the football you're thinking off.

The only ESPN America covers 'futbol' extensively is during the FIFA world cup.

BJC is right the NFL is so popular in the US tv ratings wise it can be argued it's the country #1 and #2 in polls lol.

ESPN is garbage. It's gone downhill tremendously the last decade. Sportscenter is now "sports gossip" a la Hollywood Extra for sports more than news reporting.

I'm also sick of the damn TV personalities giving their unwanted "opinions" on everything.

The three times a year I do watch ESPN (for live sporting events), it does not represent a choice but rather a lack of options.

Why is Chris Berman still on ESPN? I can't stand him! is it because he is a J E W? They say he makes between 600k-$1 million a year, only in America folks, only in America.

Because he has a 'cult following' that why. Ditto for why Stuart Scott is the pre-post game host for their NFL and NBA games as well.

And can we add it I know college hoops fans may beat me up for saying this, is how Dick Vitalie still there as well?:confused:

- I'm tired of the NOTORIOUS Yankee bashing that goes on, on espn...

- I'm tired of the 18 million...

...and one Sportscenters that comes on during the day...

- I'm tired of all the random sportscasters (you see these guys on one day, and the next, you don't see nam near a trace of these dudes no more) & so called "experts" they plug in on there (who are nothin more than a bunch of disgruntled, old, hatin ass ex-athletes that wish they were still on the court/field)....

- Why they show movies on this channel is beyond me...

- I'm tired of when, everytime you wanna watch the highlights of a game before you see the final score... and goddamnit, there's the score of that same game on the bottom panel, as they're showing the highlights... I swear they do that on purpose sometimes....

- I'm tired of the OD coverage, college football gets on saturdays... it's to a point now where I don't look to ESPN for scores of other sports on saturday...

Even during NFL sunday, there's STILL spillover of some NCAA football related stor(ies) on the sunday SC coverage....

- Does ESPN really have to show the scores of 100+ different college football games; where like like 120 of the teams don't no one know, or care about....

(side note... why are there 7 consecutive "NCAAF" tabs on the bottom panel where they show all the scores, before it gets to all the other sports... that shit is annoying)

- I'm sorry, but that fairly new side panel on the left side of the screen, bugs the shit out of me... I don't like to know what story's gonna come up, when....

anyway, yo...

Thank god for the MLB Network !!!

During the NBA season (which I won't watch a lot of anyway, since dam near every news coverage is gonna dickride the shit out of LeBron, Bosh, and Wade), looks like I'll have to tune into TNT for basketball coverage....

Hockey I'll continue to watch on versus when I feel like it, and on MSG (Ranger games) if I'm in the mood for it...

NFL network, I'm not paying for that shit... the games on channel 2, 4, and 5 will more than suffice for me...

Main reason I watch ESPN now, is for their breaking news, so to speak... they got a leg up on all the other sports networks in that category; far more often than not, giving people details of stories you simply would not hear anywhere else....

I hath spoken !

A-friggin-men! The only thing about ESPN that they like about the Yankees is the ratings. They were hoping for big ratings with those Boston-Yankees games. I do thank the Rays for making the final series in Fenway basically meaningless. Ha! Showed them for trying to milk that rivalry.

Other than if I need the day to day scores updates, ESPN is useless to me. Thank god for WFAN here.

Other than if I need the day to day scores updates, ESPN is useless to me. Thank god for WFAN here.

Yahoo sports. It's better and it doesn't have all the clutter of ESPN. The box scores for games are actually easy to read.

WFAN is idiocy. The fact that fat bastard Mike Francesa still has a job is an insult to broadcasting, and a bad joke punch line to New York sports.

Reason being is for the ratings, Mike has no real competition. It's surprising he has lasted this long really. I used to listen sometimes when it was Mike and the Mad Dog but not anymore since they split up.

Mike's brother Marty committed suicide in 1990, his dad left him when he was 8 yrs old. His mother died falling down the stairs at his house when she was visiting him a few years ago..wouldn't be surprised if he had something to do with it. Still doesn't excuse him for being a prick to his callers on his show. I guess he is just a miserable person.

Whoa.... and I thought the biggest prick was the 'new guy' Mark Melusis [however it's spelt and he calls himself the moose]. This guy is the total opposite of tony page where he doesn't give callers a chance to finish and is always arrogant as no one has an opinion that's better than him. I don't understand how that guy still has a show.

oh lord.... bro....

Francesa is worse than Malusis.... Even if you're right, Mike will still try to show you up somehow... at the end of the day, he has to be top dog, he has to feel as if he's the "best in the business"... the host of the best sportstalk radio show in NYC (this is what he self-proclaims btw)... it's easy to say that when, as Locomotion stated, where there's no real competition outside of WFAN..... That is arrogance...

Malusis is the way he is, IMO, because that's how Francesa always was.... when he (Marc) first started out on WFAN, he was the operator; board operator, or w/e the terminology is.... from what I gather, he now tries to be a hybrid of both mike & mad dog (MMD), w/ his own little spin on it... what he does on his show, I call that pseudo-pompousness... his attitude wasn't remotely close to what it is now, back when he'd make his little remarks back on MMD...

I still think the term "shock jocks" as applied to these sort of pompous jerks is very much a misnomer.

Jocks implies they were actually good at sports.

Most of them, like the callers on their shows, are fat overweight Monday Morning Quarterbacks who care about nothing in life except sports ("sports foamers!"). The ones that talk on the show about "toughness" are the ones who least possess it. In fact, it would be more appropriate to call them "shock cocks" because that is what they are...cocks.

Well said bro as I agree with almost everything you said below. ESPN thinks everyone in America loves college football.

It's the most popular sport in the 'deep south' i.e Alabama, Mississipi, etc. in places that have no NFL, MLB or other pro teams. Yet in the Northeast it's near the bottom of popularity. Hell College Basketball is more popular in NYC.

Also talk about hyping the Heat in the NBA this new season, the coverage might be so overkill you will think Lebron or Wade will be on Sportscenter soon as a co-host.:tup:

For NBA coverage i try to watch only TNT.

- I'm tired of the NOTORIOUS Yankee bashing that goes on, on espn...

- I'm tired of the 18 million...

...and one Sportscenters that comes on during the day...

- I'm tired of all the random sportscasters (you see these guys on one day, and the next, you don't see nam near a trace of these dudes no more) & so called "experts" they plug in on there (who are nothin more than a bunch of disgruntled, old, hatin ass ex-athletes that wish they were still on the court/field)....

- Why they show movies on this channel is beyond me...

- I'm tired of when, everytime you wanna watch the highlights of a game before you see the final score... and goddamnit, there's the score of that same game on the bottom panel, as they're showing the highlights... I swear they do that on purpose sometimes....

- I'm tired of the OD coverage, college football gets on saturdays... it's to a point now where I don't look to ESPN for scores of other sports on saturday...

Even during NFL sunday, there's STILL spillover of some NCAA football related stor(ies) on the sunday SC coverage....

- Does ESPN really have to show the scores of 100+ different college football games; where like like 120 of the teams don't no one know, or care about....

(side note... why are there 7 consecutive "NCAAF" tabs on the bottom panel where they show all the scores, before it gets to all the other sports... that shit is annoying)

- I'm sorry, but that fairly new side panel on the left side of the screen, bugs the shit out of me... I don't like to know what story's gonna come up, when....

anyway, yo...

Thank god for the MLB Network !!!

During the NBA season (which I won't watch a lot of anyway, since dam near every news coverage is gonna dickride the shit out of LeBron, Bosh, and Wade), looks like I'll have to tune into TNT for basketball coverage....

Hockey I'll continue to watch on versus when I feel like it, and on MSG (Ranger games) if I'm in the mood for it...

NFL network, I'm not paying for that shit... the games on channel 2, 4, and 5 will more than suffice for me...

Main reason I watch ESPN now, is for their breaking news, so to speak... they got a leg up on all the other sports networks in that category; far more often than not, giving people details of stories you simply would not hear anywhere else....

I hath spoken !

oh lord.... bro....

Francesa is worse than Malusis.... Even if you're right, Mike will still try to show you up somehow... at the end of the day, he has to be top dog, he has to feel as if he's the "best in the business"... the host of the best sportstalk radio show in NYC (this is what he self-proclaims btw)... it's easy to say that when, as Locomotion stated, where there's no real competition outside of WFAN..... That is arrogance...

Malusis is the way he is, IMO, because that's how Francesa always was.... when he (Marc) first started out on WFAN, he was the operator; board operator, or w/e the terminology is.... from what I gather, he now tries to be a hybrid of both mike & mad dog (MMD), w/ his own little spin on it... what he does on his show, I call that pseudo-pompousness... his attitude wasn't remotely close to what it is now, back when he'd make his little remarks back on MMD...

I see. Well in any case I would turn off the radio or switch to another station if I heard both of them on.

Reason being is for the ratings, Mike has no real competition. It's surprising he has lasted this long really. I used to listen sometimes when it was Mike and the Mad Dog but not anymore since they split up.

Mike's brother Marty committed suicide in 1990, his dad left him when he was 8 yrs old. His mother died falling down the stairs at his house when she was visiting him a few years ago..wouldn't be surprised if he had something to do with it. Still doesn't excuse him for being a prick to his callers on his show. I guess he is just a miserable person.

Yes Francesa is very rude and can be a 'prick' to his callers. Also his dislike for the NHL and to certain degree the NBA. While it's his choice not to be a hockey fan, there are '3' teams in NYC metro area and should give more time/allow more NHL people to appear on his show. It's only during the Stanley Cup playoffs and a major incident he discusses the NHL.

If Mike had his own way, only Baseball, the NFL, golf and horse racing would be discussed on his show.

With that said, Mike began his career as a stats/information man at CBS in the early 1980's and no doubt is probably the smartest host at WFAN. Mike is like American Idol's Simon Crowell of WFAN, smart and brutally honest who at times can be mean and crude.

Back to ESPN to show how successful at moment they are in making money. Last Night 10/18/10 a Monday Night Football game between "average at best' teams between the Titans and Jaguars outdraw in the ratings nationally over an ALCS Yanks-Rangers playoff game.

Yet on their Sportscenter shows last night and today almost all of the talk has been on NFL news and their issue of players being hurt with head injuries. While the LCS playoff games in MLB has gotten no coverage on ESPN.

Subway Guy is right sportscenter is not about 'legit national sports headlines anymore. Being fair the only good sportsnews program left on ESPN is "Outside the Lines" but that on at 3pm in the afternoon.:tdown:

Sportscenter has almost like become "Extra" "Access Hollywood" and Inside Edition type entertainment shows.S

They only focus on sports they like or cover mainly the NBA, NFL and college football.

football is the most popular sport out there...

just not the football you're thinking off.

When I wrote that post I was thinking about American football being popular in USA.

Why is Chris Berman still on ESPN? I can't stand him! is it because he is a J E W? They say he makes between 600k-$1 million a year, only in America folks, only in America.

what does of him being jewish have to do with ESPN keeping him?

Archived