Sick passenger procedures

Just curious as to what the procedures are for a sick passenger? There was a Northbound (D) train held at Columbus Circle last night for what seemed like an eternity, as there was an (A) stuck behind the (D).  Unfortunately, I got off of a packed (D) train on the local track (as did other folks) thinking the one across the platform was going soon, only to find out that wasn't the case, and after that one left and a (C) came, there were no trains after that, and I really didn't feel like going local to my destination.  The train eventually left about 20 minutes later, just as I was texting my client to inform them that I would have to cancel my private session with them due to me being stuck with no uptown subway service.  All of this was due to a sick passenger.  I'm sympathetic of the situation, but this was during rush hour and this one passenger basically affected several lines.  Are they required to keep the passenger on the train? 

I've listened to these situations on the radio, so I can't speak to what the procedure in the book is, but I can tell you what I've heard actually happen. 

When there's a report of a sick passenger the C/R will go investigate. If the passenger can be assisted onto the platform, generally another MTA staffer will come and wait with the customer for EMS and the C/R will return to their position and the train will proceed. 

If, however, the passenger is completely unconscious or otherwise immobile, there's little choice other than the train waiting right where it is for EMS. 

I'm all for "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one", but I don't think we can have conductors literally dragging unconscious passengers off the train. I'm not sure what could be done better other than pre-staging EMS at busy stations, but that would be prohibitively expensive and relatively infrequently helpful. 

I think passengers would notify train crew and then the train crew would radio dispatch(about the incident) and they suppose to let the sick passenger off the train until EMS arrive so trains won't be delay. One time, I was on the (A) train(leaving Far Rockaway) and when the train arrived at Broad Channel, the conductor announced that there was a sick passenger on board. The train was held there for like a minute or two. When I am at home, I usually get notifications from my app saying sick passenger at Chambers St, 59 St - Columbus Circle, 145 st, etc.

Basically it gets called to control the conductor investigates. The passenger is asked if they want medical assistance or not. If they can get off the train then they do. They then wait for EMS If they are with someone then the conductor can return to their position. If the customer is alone then the train gets discharged because the conductor has to remain with the sick passenger.

and I really didn't feel like going local to my destination.

Common sense dictates that if an express is more than 5 minutes behind the local, the local will get you there either faster or in the same amount of time. The stigma against locals is strong, but in a lot of cases unfounded, especially on IND lines in Manhattan below 59th Street.

Common sense dictates that if an express is more than 5 minutes behind the local, the local will get you there either faster or in the same amount of time. The stigma against locals is strong, but in a lot of cases unfounded, especially on IND lines in Manhattan below 59th Street.

I'm aware of that fact and have used the local from time to time.  The thing is sometimes I don't feel like making all of those stops. I don't sit down, so fewer stops means that I don't have to move around allowing people to get off.

I'm not going to lie, if I could avoid stopping frequently, I'd tend to take that route then. Hence I usually take the (B) home rather the (Q) . It's not even if it were faster or not, I just don't like dealing with many stops. (I stand most of the time also as VG8 does.)

-- I had an incident similar to VG8 though involving a sick customer, but I had also signal problems. The northbound (B) I was on was stuck right before Broadway-Lafayette. I eventually got off at W 4 to take the (A) but ended up being stuck there as well. I actually ended up taking the cab to my destination.

Archived