Airtrain help

SubaruWRX

Next week I fly out of JFK I'm coming from Greenwich, CT so I was going to use Uber but the reviews kinda all over the place has me a little worried I might get overcharged as one did from the Marriott from Times Sq. to JFK ($200)

I was thinking of taking Metro North to Grand Central and I think take the J to the Archer Ave/jfk stop in which I think connects to the air train? Now that's where I'm lost because I've never taken it before but for me I need to get to one of the terminals to check my bag in my flight leaves at 9:38AM and my girlfriend will be at the airport but since she lives in Brooklyn she wont have to get up as early.

Now how long is the ride on the airtrain? I need to know so I can factor out what time I need to catch the train to grand central.

Note: The (E) train is faster if you are coming from the north

The air train from Sutphin/Archer is not too long unless you are going to the last terminal it stops at. It goes at a reasonable speed. Give yourself 25 minutes - there will most likely be confusion at the station and a wait for the train.

Next week I fly out of JFK I'm coming from Greenwich, CT so I was going to use Uber but the reviews kinda all over the place has me a little worried I might get overcharged as one did from the Marriott from Times Sq. to JFK ($200)

I was thinking of taking Metro North to Grand Central and I think take the J to the Archer Ave/jfk stop in which I think connects to the air train? Now that's where I'm lost because I've never taken it before but for me I need to get to one of the terminals to check my bag in my flight leaves at 9:38AM and my girlfriend will be at the airport but since she lives in Brooklyn she wont have to get up as early.

Now how long is the ride on the airtrain? I need to know so I can factor out what time I need to catch the train to grand central.

If you take MNRR in, you would have to take (from Grand Central)  the (7) to Roosevelt Avenue (74 Street-Broadway is the name on the (7) station), and then transfer to the (E)  there to Supthin Blvd/Archer Avenue. The (J) operates from downtown only, so it wouldn't be an option. The Airtrain ride should be about 15-20 minutes (depending which terminal you're going to). Give yourself like 10-15 minutes to connect to the Airtrain. From GCT to Supthin via the (7) and (E), it should be 40-45 minutes given connections, and any additional circumstances (I would allow for more time though If I were you, like 1 hour or so just in case).

Lol the north of what of the (E) ? I plan on leaving the house a whole two hours before my flight just incase I screw up somehow.

Note: The (E) train is faster if you are coming from the north

The air train from Sutphin/Archer is not too long unless you are going to the last terminal it stops at. It goes at a reasonable speed. Give yourself 25 minutes - there will most likely be confusion at the station and a wait for the train.

If you take MNRR in, you would have to take (from Grand Central)  the (7) to Roosevelt Avenue, and then transfer to the (E) to Supthin Blvd/Archer Avenue. The (J) operates from downtown only, so it wouldn't be an option. The Airtrain ride should be about 20-25 minutes. Give yourself like 10-15 minutes to connect to the Airtrain. From GCT to Supthin via the (7) and (E), it should be 40-45 minutes given connections, and any additional circumstances (I would allow for more time though If I were you, like 1 hour or so just in case).

I had planned on 2 hours but maybe 3..

Speaking of tickets.. on MNRR I picked up a Off peak about a month ago but the train to GCT will be peak can I pay the difference on the train for the Peak or do I have to get a whole new ticket for peak?

As for my Metrocard I think I still have about $16 on it

Lol the north of what of the (E) ? I plan on leaving the house a whole two hours before my flight just incase I screw up somehow.

I had planned on 2 hours but maybe 3..

Speaking of tickets.. on MNRR I picked up a Off peak about a month ago but the train to GCT will be peak can I pay the difference on the train for the Peak or do I have to get a whole new ticket for peak?

As for my Metrocard I think I still have about $16 on it

Three hours should be a good amount of time given.

As for the tickets, I think you can pay the difference, but I think you would have to pay the difference from the onboard peak fare. Im not sure if the station (provided theres a ticket office) can do that prior to boarding.

Three hours should be a good amount of time given.

As for the tickets, I think you can pay the difference, but I think you would have to pay the difference from the onboard peak fare. Im not sure if the station (provided theres a ticket office) can do that prior to boarding.

yeah it has a ticket office never thought to use that but good call about the onboard peak fare.

OK I told her my plans and she did not like the idea at all.. because it's a Monday and around rush hour.. Being as I don't live around the station how packed is it going to be? Maybe I should move my whole times earlier starting from MNRR.

OR... take the 1:06 AM train from Greenwich to GCT (2:05) then take the Subway.. but now I'm going to be too early but rush hour would no longer be a factor that's also the last off-peak before peak starts at 4:52 AM.

Looking over the schedules, by taking the 4:52 train out of Greenwich, you'll make it to Sutphin via the (E) and (6) a little by 7 AM if not before. As for the rush hour crowds, it shouldn't be too terrible depending on how many luggage items you're carrying.  I know for sure Jamaica bound (E) trains are usually not that packed at that time of the morning.

Looking over the schedules, by taking the 4:52 train out of Greenwich, you'll make it to Sutphin via the (E) and (6) a little by 7 AM if not before. As for the rush hour crowds, it shouldn't be too terrible depending on how many luggage items you're carrying.  I know for sure Jamaica bound (E) trains are usually not that packed at that time of the morning.

Any line that terminates in the Manhattan CBD will be busier in one direction than the other during rush hours, peak direction.

Well seeing as I can't pack everything in my med sized luggage I had to go to the large size, so for me it's just the luggage and laptop bag.

The E/6 transfer might be a bit difficult with large luggage items. I would personally suggest using a yellow cab if only for the flat fare to JFK.

I may try and go back to the med size but not much I can bring back

If you are flying domestically, and have to pay for luggage AND are staying or initially spending time in a large city such as Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle etc., I can suggest sending your luggage to your destination through FedEx Office. You can drop off luggage at your local FedEx store and pick it up when you arrive at a FedEx Office store at your destination. I have done this several times. My cost for a bag was ~$25 the same cost if you checked in at most airlines.

http://www.fedex.com/us/office/travel-shipping-luggage-shipping.html

If traveling international, than you can ignore this.

I'm flying jetblue so no cost for only one checked bag

Cool. 

I suggest this as a backup plan (or if you feel connections are tight), keep some taxicab money. If there are problems on the subways, you can try this - take a cab to NYP (Penn Station - 34St /7th Entrance), ten minute ride from GCT and use the LIRR to Jamaica. The fastest you can get to Jamaica on LIRR is 18 minutes. The AirTrain ride to T5 is about 20-25 minutes.

Someone just told me about the shuttle buses the NYC airporter on E41st street $16 to get to JFK but not sure how long the ride is..

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.750654,-73.976245,3a,75y,250.67h,62.68t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sTnODNBUilcKyhy31BPm_aw!2e0

I forgot about that one:

http://www.nycairporter.com/

http://www.nycairporter.com/Schedule/GrandCentraltoJFKAirport.aspx

Just keep all your options open. :) For me the most stressful part is just getting to one of the airports either EWR/JFK/LGA.

Budget time to check-in and get through security. I've never flown out of T5 at that time, so I can't help you there.

Archived