Darius McCollum

MAA89

I would like to know what the members on this forum think of Darius McCollum. He was the guy who commandeered an (E) train to WTC aged 15, and has since racked up 26 arrests for transit-related crimes, such as impersonating superintendents and removing cars from yards. Should the (MTA) hire him in some capacity? Or should he be committed to an institute for his mental disability (he has Asperger's Syndrome) and for potentially endangering transit riders? Note that parole conditions from his arrests prevent him from leaving New York City, so will always be present and near the trains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_McCollum

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/nyregion/15arrest.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

http://gothamist.com/2008/10/07/1_subway_fan_darius_mccollum_arrest.php

I would like to know what the members on this forum think of Darius McCollum. He was the guy who commandeered an (E) train to WTC aged 15, and has since racked up 26 arrests for transit-related crimes, such as impersonating superintendents and removing cars from yards. Should the (MTA) hire him in some capacity? Or should he be committed to an institute for his mental disability (he has Asperger's Syndrome) and for potentially endangering transit riders? Note that parole conditions from his arrests prevent him from leaving New York City, so will always be present and near the trains.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darius_McCollum

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/nyregion/15arrest.html?_r=2&oref=slogin

http://gothamist.com/2008/10/07/1_subway_fan_darius_mccollum_arrest.php

should the mta hire him in some capacity? are you seriose dude? :tdown:

He is a foamer of the highest order with a known problem (asperger's) and he should be nowhere near a train because he cannot do the job safely, no matter what people say to the opposite. he operates too fast and "thinks he can do it better" from all accounts, hmm sounds like a lot of the common foamers i see around the system from time to time...

He is mentally ill, needs some kind of therapy / help and is obsessed with trains to a point where it is not normal. People who are obsessed with trains don't usually get jobs opertaing them. Most people who operate or work with trains for the most part are not foamers or rail fans, they are people who want a secure job, good benefits and are not usually that hyped up about trains. I remember when I was in H.S. and he was playing motorman on the train I was on when he tripped the brakes going through a red. The NYCTA wouldnt ever hire him and if they did I'm sure he would abuse his position in a way to take another train.

I have asperger's syndrome, I'm not as obsessed as him though. He just need some MTH trains or something. Someone throw him a copy of Trainz! My aspy obsession was weird, you'd think trains but mine was my friend Casey. I liked her alot, she was my "dream" girl or so I thought. I didn't do a Darius and take her for a ride illegally (cuz that would be rape,) but I found away to get over it. I found Christine <3. He needs to find away to treat his asperger instead of using it for bad. If he had someway to drive his attention span away from it, the trains will be safe. Casey is still in my heart but I drove away from her because I didn't like the fact that she was only thought 24/7 (a very bad symptom of Asperger's, you focus way too much on your obsession.) He should learn from me.

You and your girl look very familiar. I've probably seen you two on the subway before; I never forget faces. Make a good couple, you two, saw all the pics you got on facebook.

It's funny, we only rode the subway once back on January 3rd. We took the (A), the (2) and the (1). We went to the transit museum that day as well. We do take the NJ Transit alot.

What's ironic is that what would stop the problem, taking him away from the subway, has been legally denied. He must be pretty nuts, 'cos these aren't normal crimes. I could see him trying to break into restricted property to do a throw-up or something, but wow... "with the keys to an M7?" Dangerous... and where did he get the keys?

Imagine a news story where we see a helicopter view of his ass in possession of a M7 on a "slow speed" chase O.J. Simpson style.

What's ironic is that what would stop the problem, taking him away from the subway, has been legally denied. He must be pretty nuts, 'cos these aren't normal crimes. I could see him trying to break into restricted property to do a throw-up or something, but wow... "with the keys to an M7?" Dangerous... and where did he get the keys?

Imagine a news story where we see a helicopter view of his ass in possession of a M7 on a "slow speed" chase O.J. Simpson style.

And the "PITA" (it stands for something you know...) part is that he's not the only buff/foamer who will do illegal things with keys who has them

and LOL If he gets into an "M7 chase" as you say he's going nowhere. Cut the power and stop the trains in front of him, then let the cab signalling and positive train control do the rest.

should the mta hire him in some capacity? are you seriose dude? :tdown:

I didn't suggest they should. I have read other's comments on a lot of forums, a lot of whom suggest giving him a low-responsibility MTA job in order to preoccupy him and make it easier to keep an eye on him.

Im all for second and third chances but in this case no! If the MTA hire him to be an operator or conductor I will not ride the subways again. We all here like transportation to some degree but how far will you take it? He took all the way out there.

I didn't suggest they should. I have read other's comments on a lot of forums, a lot of whom suggest giving him a low-responsibility MTA job in order to preoccupy him and make it easier to keep an eye on him.

That's the problem. He doesn't just stick to one job. He's impersonated track workers, supervisors, tower operators, train operators, and conductors. Plus imagine the liability if he did something unsafe and someone got hurt as a result. There is no way he will ever get hired, and that is a good thing.

Eh I guess it's better if the MTA didnt hire him. I heard that he knows the Transit System more than anybody.

Although the truth of your last statement is widely debated, that for me is the problem. If there is no way to preoccupy him then his knowledge of the system makes him a greater liability.

reminds me of this incident.. When the topic first came up on this forum I thought I was on the train that Darius was operating but I was wrong, it was this guy who tripped the brakes going past a red while I was on the train

Keron Thomas was most known for posing as a New York City subway motorman named Regoberto Sabio in May 1993, at the age of 16, and operating an A train in revenue service for approximately three hours. Thomas's actions went unnoticed by the passengers on board the R44 train, who were safely picked up and discharged at normal station stops along the route.

However, Thomas operated the train too quickly rounding a curve, just a few stops from completing his route. This tripped the train's emergency brakes (or BIE - short for Brakes in Emergency - as transit officials refer to them), and Thomas was unable to reset them. The full scope of Thomas's actions was discovered after he was taken to NYCTA headquarters for drug and alcohol testing, which is standard TA policy after motormen are caught speeding. Despite his actions, Thomas came to be seen by some as a bit of a folk hero, and as a consequence was spared jail time.

The New York Times reported, "Duty-bound to make it clear that people may not play subway motorman whenever they like but wary of punishing a folk hero -- and a mere boy, at that -- law-enforcement officials settled yesterday on three years' probation for the 16-year-old who took the controls of a subway train for three and a half hours in May."[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keron_Thomas

Keron Thomas was most known for posing as a New York City subway motorman named Regoberto Sabio in May 1993, at the age of 16, and operating an A train in revenue service for approximately three hours. Thomas's actions went unnoticed by the passengers on board the R44 train, who were safely picked up and discharged at normal station stops along the route.

Yeah I knew about Keron Thomas. He has since lost his subway obsession and trained to become an electrician. Sadly, Darius McCollum never went the same way, hence the problem over what to do with him.

What is it about the Eighth Avenue line anyway? Keron Thomas commandeered an (A) and McCollum an (E) in Manhattan. Does the line not have adequate security measures?

People who are obsessed with trains don't usually get jobs opertaing them. Most people who operate or work with trains for the most part are not foamers or rail fans, they are people who want a secure job, good benefits and are not usually that hyped up about trains.

Not true,there are some T/O's,C/R,and others within the TA that are railfans.

just because they work for the TA doesn't mean they can't be railfans.

Not true,there are some T/O's,C/R,and others within the TA that are railfans.

just because they work for the TA doesn't mean they can't be railfans.

I said OBSESSED, I'm sure there are some railfans working for the MTA but the majority of the people working in the system are not.

Archived