Service expansion on the F, G, R and other lines starting in 2012 after recession

Shortline Bus

Wow did anyone catch that error? They said people rely on shuttle buses during late nights for the R. They're shuttle trains.

My reactions:

-The (C) needs to be extended to 10 cars. That is needed

-I agree with what Andy said about LGA. LGA does need a rail connection somehow. Even Dulles is getting a link to the MetroRail system in DC. Phoenix is building a people-mover to its airport from the new light rail system. Some cities have direct rail connections (Philadelphia, Atlanta) A heavy rail extension will be too costly. But a light rail people-mover will suffice.

-I'm partial about the R late night service. But if it does happen, the N and the D could run express in Brooklyn.

-The F, G and V Brooklyn service could wait on.

Money should also be used to develop smart card technology

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all,

(V) going to Brooklyn? HELL NO!

Second of all, does this mean Lower Bergen might reopen? > "Transit has not determined what stops would be bypassed, but they could include popular ones in Boerum Hill and Carroll Gardens."

Third of all, (R) nightime service isn't so bad. (Get over it Julio, its good!)

Forth of all, <4> express in the cards???!???!???!

What's wrong with sending the V to Brooklyn? The V is useless ending at 2nd Av. It would be better if it was sent to Brooklyn to allow the F to run express.

Park Slope riders will always get a 1 seat Manhattan ride. Anytime the V doesn't run, the F would run local. And I don't think the F needs to run express in both directions [even though there are 4 tracks up to Church]. Just run the V for the rush hours and the F running express to Manhttan [am] and to Brooklyn [pm]. Middays the V can terminate as it does at 2nd Av.

There is no need for both the R and N running into Manhattan.

I know it makes no difference, but why not have the R run to Astoria and have the N terminate at 36th, so that the R and N don't have to 'double switch'.

I honestly don't see the need for the <4>. Just leave it as all local. If there's a need for empty trains for Manhattan, have some 4 trains short turn around the 161st-Yankees stadium station.

There is no need for both the R and N running into Manhattan.

I know it makes no difference, but why not have the R run to Astoria and have the N terminate at 36th, so that the R and N don't have to 'double switch'.

Not going to happen. The reason why the (N) and the (R) switched terminals to begin with was so the (R) could have full time access to a train yard, whereas before the flip-flop the (N) had two.

I agree the C should be full 600' trains. As once the R32's [majority of them] are gone, there won't be enough cars to make 8-car sets and the C needs to be able to borrow trains from the A and vice versa. Both lines need to run full length trains.

As far as the LGA train, if PA is going to build it, should they build the line over the Grand central parkway, the same way the JFK line was built over the Van Wyck? And should they have it run into Manhattan and would that segment be underground or above?

I agree the C should be full 600' trains. As once the R32's [majority of them] are gone, there won't be enough cars to make 8-car sets and the C needs to be able to borrow trains from the A and vice versa. Both lines need to run full length trains.

As far as the LGA train, if PA is going to build it, should they build the line over the Grand central parkway, the same way the JFK line was built over the Van Wyck? And should they have it run into Manhattan and would that segment be underground or above?

As i stated in earlier chat on lack on rapid transit/subway service to LGA Airport, i suggested that the LGA 'airtrain' run between Willets Point/Citifield

(7) station and LGA using the Grand Central. Willets Point also connects to the LIRR Port Washington Line and would make that station useful 365 days a year besides only during late spring-October(ie Mets season and US Open Tennis)

Says the person that lives in New Jersey. I've ridden the (N) during late nights when it's running in place of the (R) and most of the time it's empty. Seems like a waste of money to me.

In manhattan its fine just having the (N), but in Queens it becomes problematic when you have just the (E) running local on 20 min headways.

In manhattan its fine just having the (N), but in Queens it becomes problematic when you have just the (E) running local on 20 min headways.
mmmm good point. It's been years since the last time I was in Queens late-nights and needed to take a ride home.

Not going to happen. The reason why the (N) and the (R) switched terminals to begin with was so the (R) could have full time access to a train yard, whereas before the flip-flop the (N) had two.

Well yes, but doesn't the R run R46's for the shuttle? It's pretty far away from Jamaica yard. And this is for 6 hours a night, if the R needs a replacement train, one can be sent over to Jamaica yard and another train can be brought back to the R to run. That or the R can take a train that's layed up in the CI yard.

I understand about the yard, but I kinda think the Bay Ridge riders should have a 1-seat Manhattan ride, while the Sea Beach riders already has the D,F,Q as alternatives from CI to Manhattan. That's why I don't see why they need the N as well.

As i stated in earlier chat on lack on rapid transit/subway service to LGA Airport, i suggested that the LGA 'airtrain' run between Willets Point/Citifield

(7) station and LGA using the Grand Central. Willets Point also connects to the LIRR Port Washington Line and would make that station useful 365 days a year besides only during late spring-October(ie Mets season and US Open Tennis)

Ok. And yes I do agree about the LGA train running to Willets Point as there's enough room to build it there compared to the overcrowded Main St, Flushing area. That LIRR station is just a waste and would be better utilized as a feeder to the LGA line.

I didntsee this topic, anyways, I hope the (MTA) has the money for this, since this can lead to issues with other bills for the (MTA)

The (V) to Brooklyn? I would just use the (G) instead tho it goes to Queens after Bk, so i dunno how this is gonna work. btw what Bridge? or do they mean CULVER VIADUCT LOL!!

The (R), I thought there was a (S) train running, i didnt know (S) buses were running?

Well yes, but doesn't the R run R46's for the shuttle? It's pretty far away from Jamaica yard. And this is for 6 hours a night, if the R needs a replacement train, one can be sent over to Jamaica yard and another train can be brought back to the R to run. That or the R can take a train that's layed up in the CI yard.

I understand about the yard, but I kinda think the Bay Ridge riders should have a 1-seat Manhattan ride, while the Sea Beach riders already has the D,F,Q as alternatives from CI to Manhattan. That's why I don't see why they need the N as well.

In earlier post when i wrote to NYCT President Roberts i think running the (R) to 57th Street late nights only is a 'fair and reasonable' compromise.

In earlier post when i wrote to NYCT President Roberts i think running the (R) to 57th Street late nights only is a 'fair and reasonable' compromise.

Maybe, but is there a need for 3 lines on Broadway late at night though?

I can live with the R going to Whitehall and the N continuing the rest of the way north.

I didntsee this topic, anyways, I hope the (MTA) has the money for this, since this can lead to issues with other bills for the (MTA)

The (V) to Brooklyn? I would just use the (G) instead tho it goes to Queens after Bk, so i dunno how this is gonna work. btw what Bridge? or do they mean CULVER VIADUCT LOL!!

The (R), I thought there was a (S) train running, i didnt know (S) buses were running?

V to Brooklyn isn't that bad, I mean the V is empty by the time it gets to 2nd Av. I would think the V would help the F by adding extra Manhattan-Brooklyn service and allow CI riders a faster ride to get to Manhattan and giving Park Slope riders an empty train to enter Manhattan.

Maybe, but is there a need for 3 lines on Broadway late at night though?

I can live with the R going to Whitehall and the N continuing the rest of the way north.

57th or whitehall(thanks Concourse i forgot that station has a crossover tracks as well :P)is fine with me. Main thing is for Bay Ridge riders to have a 1-seat transfer to the IRT (2) & (4) lines and LIRR at Atlantic-Pacific and also a transfer for the (F) and (G) for 6th Ave/Queens Blvd station access as well.

57th or whitehall(thanks Concourse i forgot that station has a crossover tracks as well :P)is fine with me. Main thing is for Bay Ridge riders to have a 1-seat transfer to the IRT (2) & (4) lines and LIRR at Atlantic-Pacific and also a transfer for the (F) and (G) for 6th Ave/Queens Blvd station access as well.

Agreed. Turning the (R) at Whitehall will suffice: riders can connect to the (F)(G) at 9th st, (D)(Q)(2)(4) at Pacific, and (1) at Whitehall. What about also extending the (Q) to 71 ave via QB LCL with the (E) (if the (G) isn't running) or actually run the (G) with it and make the (E) QB EXP

Agreed. Turning the (R) at Whitehall will suffice: riders can connect to the (F)(G) at 9th st, (D)(Q)(2)(4) at Pacific, and (1) at Whitehall. What about also extending the (Q) to 71 ave via QB LCL with the (E) (if the (G) isn't running) or actually run the (G) with it and make the (E) QB EXP

That's right, plus City Hall Station isn't much needed during late nights. If passengers want the N, they could transfer at Pacific. The N could go over the bridge and work crews could expedite work at Cortlandt Street as much as possible.

Np, and totally agreed.

Running the (Q) on Queens Blvd is not such a good idea. In 7 years or so the SAS should be done. The (Q) would go up 2nd Ave instead. I don't think they should put the (Q) there only to put it somewhere else a short time later.

Totally wasn't thinking about that. But that notwithstanding it might work

Running the (Q) to Queens Blvd would not work for a few main reasons:

1-Express QBlvd tracks are already at capacity (30 tph)

2-Local tracks can't turn 3 services at CTL. Ridership past CTL (ie to 179) doesn't warrant the service to be extended past that, but which if done, that would also definitely make the Q "too long" for crews.

Ultimately the Q will be sent to 125th St-Lex [maybe towards CPW or Broadway if they have it run under 125th St], which would be pretty long.

I was wondering would it be better to send the Q up to Astoria and have the N run up 2nd Av instead? [And the W would probably be cut.]

Sorry o/t, but semi-related to the line's length.

Don't forget the new (A)(F) transfer at Jay-Lawrence!

Archived