If you got to design cars for SIR......

Far Rock Depot

the trucks with airbag suspention is a good idea. but i think the MTA took care of that with the new trucks they currently use on their 143/160s. the plush seats would be a maintinence nightmare but seats similar to the later Nova RTS, standard plastic shell with a upholstered covering. 2x2 seating would be nice. but ive been on SIR during rush hour. they need the standing room. but it is something i will play with on my personal design. as for a PA-5 look, looking at my drawing, i have a little of that but with black instead of blue. im almost done with the A car. ill be posting itsoon. thanks to all.

MAA89, I'm sorry, but there's no sense in building such a long 5 mile tunnel under the river to connect the SIRT to the subways or vice versa. And if anything it should be the SIRT that is extended than the subways since it would negatively affect the subway's headways if they are extended any further.

This isn't like connecting two states together or two densely packed boroughs. I'd rather they add an extra 2 ferries per hour than building such a tunnel.

MAA89, I'm sorry, but there's no sense in building such a long 5 mile tunnel under the river to connect the SIRT to the subways or vice versa. And if anything it should be the SIRT that is extended than the subways since it would negatively affect the subway's headways if they are extended any further.

This isn't like connecting two states together or two densely packed boroughs. I'd rather they add an extra 2 ferries per hour than building such a tunnel.

It really wasn't my idea. LRG5784 and other users clamored for it on the forum. I said it wouldn't be bad if the subway could be extended.

LRG's plans for the subway extension would involve an immersed tunnel construction similarly to the IND 63rd St line and San Francisco's tunnel across the SF Bay. I am no expert on how it should be built; I was just saying foamer-style that "it would be nice". But you don't have to hold that against me; I do not care much for subway extensions to SI, since I don't go there often. It would help people like LRG5784, who commute to SI, but he admits he knows he is in a minority.

I am not sure exactly why it would affect headways (yes, so the average journey will be 10 minutes longer, but all the (MTA) would need is a few more trainsets to the (1) or (W) to bring headways back down). Any hope of constructing a 5 mile tunnel anytime soon is a pipe dream; even if it was attempted, by the time it would be done the R142s/160s would have long since retired, so they would have to go buy new cars anyway and could order a few dozen more than replacement level. Remember, such an argument (headways too long) could have been made when the IND Rockaway Line was opened, and while headways are long, that is because the (MTA) keeps forking up the line into 3 branches instead of sending everything to Far Rockaway and letting the (C) and (S) feed into the (A) line.

So while I disclaim responsibility as being the originator of the "subway to SI" campaign, I do not see why you think it would "make no sense". Just because a 5 mile subway tunnel doesn't exist doesn't mean it can never be done. Heck, if not for Bob Moses, it might have been done long ago. And the ferry needn't be killed to make way for the subway; the experience of Roosevelt Island shows that earlier, idiosyncratic forms of transit can survive an onslaught from the subway.

I do not see why you would extend the SIRT, I seriously don't see heavy rail in SI's transit future, and without an extensive heavy rail system feeding into it, extending the SIRT is impractical as only a few people ride it. As I said, on the island, improvements need to be in the form of light rail or Bus Rapid Transit, serving small neighborhoods and connecting to important hubs like Eltingville and St George. How you propose to cross the harbor is not something I concern myself with; the ferry works fine for me when I need to get to SI, but for others it makes for a painfully long journey (LRG will just have to accept the 30 minutes ride as part of life). Intra-island rapid transit definitely needs a boost though.

just to throw what would be a monkey wrench into the mix of building a subway tunnel between the 2 bourrows would be the fact that would have to a 3 track tunnel or 3 separate tunnels together and switches between the three for emergencys and some sort of escape tunnel to the surface and keep an engine on 1 track and a engine on 24/7 standby some where. there should be no problem of the ship traffic that goes into jersey from the narrows since there is probably bedrock in between the 2 islands. just a thought

compared to the "main line" subway, SI does have fewer riders. but get off the ferry and hop on SIR during the afternoon rush. the crowd almost mimicks some subway line's rush hours. and i do beleive re-activating the North Shor line would bring more riders to the rails and off the buses. remember, SI's transit patterns are different from the other boros. it focuses on the Ferry. feeding ito it and off of it. So does SIR diring the rush. even the route numbers are pattered differently. Like a N.S. line will reduse crowding on the S4X routes like the S40, S48, etc. it would also ease the burden on CAS' matainence crews.

If I could design trains for SIRT, it would look like an R160 with a destination sign in the front similar to the PA-5. They would be singles and 75 feet long with 4 doors on the side. Also the reading on the LED would be either red for express or blue for local.

Archived