Form 2008-present time, do you think the subway has gotten safer?

HQBreaker

I guess you have not seen the move "Airplane".

"Surly you must be joking!"

"I'm not joking and don't call me surley."

LOL reminds me of blankman (not nearly as good as airplane was although i havent seen it in years) but this is a great line...

(surprised) "well slap me around and call me susan!"

SLAP "I warned ya susan!"

>.> that is just so unfair...wish i was a giant...

show me the post that has me saying I'm afraid to ride on _ train because I feel its unsafe sir. but i will agree with the last part. because it is common sense. All the people who get attacked these days have made themselves a target in some way shape or form.

Then it doesn't apply to you. :(

All the people who get attacked these days have made themselves a target in some way shape or form.

Can't 100% agree with that, but in many cases it's true...some its not though...

This is what happens when there isn't really something to quote.

so make something to quote!

All of you guys are girlie men.:tdown: The subway today is a cakewalk compared to the 70s & 80s. Just pay attention to your surroundings, don't look like you don't know where you're going and you should all be ok.

I was only 4...

It got even worse when John Gotti's thugs got arrested and the Italians moved out.

Well, if the COPS just mind more important situations that are on the platform rather than us taking pics, then I guess it could be somewhat safer... But then again, the bad routes are the (A), (C), and (L). The (B) got better.

I've been on most (L) platforms between 8Av and Broadway Junction and never seen any suspicious activity anything to be afraid of. (A) and (C) perfectly safe too; I have been on (A) trains as late as 4:15am, and often until 2am, and nothing untoward happened.

If anything, I would feel unsafe at one of the Staten Island Railway stops late at night. With no fare controls or station agents, being located generally away from densely populated areas, and trains arriving only once an hour, waiting on a platform does have the potential for being dangerous, but I haven't heard of much crime on the SIR so maybe it's okay.

I am certain the subway is not the crime-ridden wreck it was supposed to be in the 70s and 80s.

I taken the (A) from Broadway Junction to Aqueduct Racetrack and have felt pretty safe riding on it. Not a big fan of taking the (4) headed uptown past 125th street or going Manhattan bound up to 59th street.

OK I am sick and tired that people think that the bronx is dangerous. i think that other members that live there will vouch for me. There is no dangerous line... maybe a station or two. But even then most of you are grown men, you can defend yourselves?

OK I am sick and tired that people think that the bronx is dangerous. i think that other members that live there will vouch for me. There is no dangerous line... maybe a station or two. But even then most of you are grown men, you can defend yourselves?

There's not much you can do to defend yourself when faced with a knife, gun, or other weapon. Also, how would you fair 1 against 5?

Maybe just the Grand Concourse and Woodlawn Lines at night presently, but the other lines seem just fine. We all have the natural tendency to assume that a place is dangerous just by the color of skin of most of the people that boards the subway there. I admire Malcolm X's views a lot, but if only he'd never advocated violence as a solution.

Pretty much do you feel its better then it was 3-4 years ago and which lines do you feel is safe, which are the most dangerous? How about most dangerous stations/safest stations?

Base on what I've seen so far I feel (A) and (C) seems to be bad. Sometimes even the (:( is bad as well. As for stations, 135 St Nicoles ( (A)/(:o ) and pass that seems to be bad.

I think the subway is more dangerous than 3-4 years ago, reason = The economy is bad! You people should be able to figure it out from there..

All the people who get attacked these days have made themselves a target in some way shape or form.

Nope, not true. Theres Teenagers/gangs out there that will attack innocent people for no good reason.

Uh, lot of these dudes out there that do that type of stuff don't do it alone, unless they have a Kinfe or Gun. But most of the those dudes that like to rob people do it in groups. Its very hard to be one person and have to fight five people at once.

Maybe just the Grand Concourse and Woodlawn Lines at night presently, but the other lines seem just fine. We all have the natural tendency to assume that a place is dangerous just by the color of skin of most of the people that boards the subway there. I admire Malcolm X's views a lot, but if only he'd never advocated violence as a solution.

One of the reasons leading up to Malcolm X's assassination was his change in beliefs away from violence and that not all white people were evil, which the Nation of Islam didn't like.

One of the reasons leading up to Malcolm X's assassination was his change in beliefs away from violence and that not all white people were evil, which the Nation of Islam didn't like.

And b/c of violence, others now think that African-Americans are violent. Hip-Hop culture, burned buildings and drugs scared everyone about the Bronx during the 70s-80s and always associated that with African-Americans.

Uh, lot of these dudes out there that do that type of stuff don't do it alone, unless they have a Kinfe or Gun. But most of the those dudes that like to rob people do it in groups. Its very hard to be one person and have to fight five people at once.

I'm sure some here might be able to hold their own against one or two people, but it may not be so easy when you're faced with a few. A friend of mine who lived in Canarsie most of his whole life was attacked by such a group on an evening L train at Atlantic Av a few years ago. He rode the line daily as well as the J/Z and G and was not a stranger to those areas. It's not a reason to stop riding, but the "it's perfectly safe at any hour" stuff is not quite true either.

And b/c of violence, others now think that African-Americans are violent. Hip-Hop culture, burned buildings and drugs scared everyone about the Bronx during the 70s-80s and always associated that with African-Americans.

It's unfortunately true that if you asked most people to "picture a mugger in your head" they would see someone of dark skin, the same as "picture a billionaire" most would see a white man in a suite (Donald Trump looking). Despite tensions not being what they were at one time, American society still has a very bad image of the "black man". You can only hope that people will stop the antiquated thinking of blacks as lesser and that those in "Hip-Hop culture" as you described, will stop presenting a negative image of black culture ... and I know that isn't everyone in Hip-Hop.

Nope, not true. Theres Teenagers/gangs out there that will attack innocent people for no good reason.

Even so the person has to look like someone they could get away with ganging up on and beatin the shit out of. If you had a group of guys with you and were looking to beat someone up who you gonna go after..that dude who looks like he works out 6x a week or that skinny person there thats not paying any attention at all to whats goin on?

Well, if the COPS just mind more important situations that are on the platform rather than us taking pics, then I guess it could be somewhat safer... But then again, the bad routes are the (A), (C), and (L). The (;) got better.

I love the (L). Nothing bad ever happened to me on there. I even got off on B'way Junction twice and nothing happened to me there either. I'm actually the most comfortable with that train the most and the (M) being the second.

I love the (L). Nothing bad ever happened to me on there. I even got off on B'way Junction twice and nothing happened to me there either. I'm actually the most comfortable with that train the most and the (M) being the second.

If getting off at Broadway Junction is your idea of living dangerous, then damn, I must be freaking Evil Knievel then lol I get off at Broadway Junction every day to crab the (A) train from the (L).

Even so the person has to look like someone they could get away with ganging up on and beatin the shit out of. If you had a group of guys with you and were looking to beat someone up who you gonna go after..that dude who looks like he works out 6x a week or that skinny person there thats not paying any attention at all to whats goin on?
True, you got a point..

Like I said in my Sutter Avenue thread, I'm pretty naive when it comes to certain places. I heard not so nice things about B'way Junction too. Some friends of mine are even scared to step foot there.

If this makes you or your friends feel any better theres a police station inside Broadway Junction station so its highly unlikely for crime to happen there.

True, you got a point..

If this makes you or your friends feel any better theres a police station inside Broadway Junction station so its highly unlikely for crime to happen there.

Yeah that's what my boyfriend told me also. I always see cops at the station so I do tell my friends that. Their still scared...:P

True, you got a point..

Crime does happen there, not to be too negitive but about a year ago a police officer was stabbed in the head at B'way Junction.

Crime does happen there, not to be too negitive but about a year ago a police officer was stabbed in the head at B'way Junction.

Ah yes, I remeber hearing about that on the News a while back but didn't remeber the exact details. IIRC that happend on one of the (J) line platfroms?

Ah yes, I remember hearing about that on the News a while back but didn't remember the exact details. IIRC that happened on one of the (J) line platforms?

Yep, thankfully the officer survived. I don't remember if the perp was shot or not.

yo, i haven't posted in a while, but anyways: i have friends of all colors who live in just about all areas (although i'm not familiar with the bronx at all.)

i have taken the (A) to Utica in a supposedly "bad" area and even walked around there at past 2am at night, although i don't walk more than just a couple blocks from the apartment usually, i never had a problem.

i'll admit the (J) at night can be incredibly sketch at the stations, but the trains are usually just kinda empty. B'way junction in the middle of the night can be incredibly sketch, too... but the only real activity i've ever seen there were a couple fights that broke out between either high school kids or some other immature nonsense during the day. i do remember talking to a couple dudes there when i was coming back from a friend's late at night, and they said 10-20 years ago, it was completely different.

the (G) to me is sketch around Myrtle/Willoughby Ave, but again i've never seen anything serious.

keep in mind most of my... "data" is from 2008, i haven't been going out drinking and stuff as much this year, which i think is a good thing - so i haven't been on the trains after 9pm-11pm usually.

this might just be a myth - but i've always been told that the (3) train in brooklyn and the (L) past B'Way junction is not safe territory. this guy i used to work with claimed he got jumped at New Lots on the (3) a few years ago.

i guess my conclusion is the same as most - use common sense. i might be about 6ft/260lbs, but that doesn't mean anything if i'm hypothetically against a group. be aware, and if you see something that bothers you, take the proper steps to get away.

Archived