The (E) Train

EE Broadway Local

Yeah, when I was coming back during the weekends from Rockland Co., the (E) R-160 is really crowded, I always liked the R-32s on the (E) for the room and the capability to walk through without saying 'excuse me'.

Now, I am considering taking the Metro-North to 42nd - Grand Central and taking the (S) to Times Sq and transfering to the (R) to Forest Hills.

The (E) is never that crowded with the R-32's. The (E) is now jammed with the R-160's, ;).

You know what? I think it's just perceived crowding with actually the same amount of people. The R160 has its doors lined up with the one directly across from it, while the R32 has them slightly offset from one another. Now, with the typical New Yorker standing by the door so they can get out quicker, you have more people crammed into the space between the doors rather than that same group of people spread out slightly between the offset doors. Remember that no one ever wants to move into the car.

Plus what 33rd St. said; fewer seats means more people standing and yada yada.

The 160's seat less people than the R32's.

44 (40 on R160 "A" car) vs. 50 on an R32. I know what train I'd rather ride to catch a seat.

The cab takes up about two seats and that pole in the middle of the bench limits seating to 6 per bench.

Wow, that's just sad. People say they like the R160s when their chances of getting a seat are now less!

thank you for confirming my suspicions on the matter. i been making comparisons for a while now just trying to make sure i wasn't jumping the gun.

Not to sound like a foamer, but that is one of several flaws in the design of the R160. If you a tall person, try standing straight up with out hitting your head. It's impossible, I hit my head every time and so do alot of other people I know.

I guess so, since the R-160's has full width cabs and is more roundy and less boxy.

You have to consider in the shape of the car and the thickness of the walls of the cars. Since the R-160 is less boxy and more thick in the walls, :P!

I don't think that would affect anything at all IF AND ONLY IF the floor area is the same, and also in the same layout (which it is not). "Less boxy" shouldn't have anything to do with it.

I guess I'm one of the few railfans who simply doesn't care what cars the (E) uses. I just enjoy the line for what it is. I loved the R46's on the (E) back in the 80's, the R32's on the (E) in the 90's and 2000's and I love the R160's on the (E) now and for whatever amount of years they will be on the line. The R40M/42's were cool too. It's a fun, fast (maybe not at this time with construction) and reliable line that I've always enjoyed riding on, except when it's local in Queens. It's a 24 hour line that has great connections to many lines. The (E) is one of my favorites that I never get tired of riding. :cool:

see I'm kinda torn between the (F) and (E) right now. I used to LOOOOOOVE the (E) and not just cuz of the 32s. There was some serious reliability. It never screwed me over like the (F). But I've said it before the 160s seem smaller on the interior than the 32s. Less seating and lately the QB Exp has become a nightmare to ride on. I'll actually wait for a (V) at 51st if I have to go that direction. I never go past 71st Avenue anyway.

I've avoided this train due to the many times its been absent at WTC due to construction and the massive delays it seems to have going through the 53rd St tunnel as well as Queens Blvd. The (R)(V) and even the (7) have done me better than this. I realize the construction is needed and I'm pretty sure when its done the (E) will shine again. But right now its just an inconvenience for me and considering how long it takes me to get to Forest Hills from my location I really don't need added inconvenience.

Well I can tell U that the QB Express is running good now! There was track work around Grand Ave E/B that had a speed restriction due to how the roadbed was! It's been running good for about well over a month now!

IDK if there is a speed restriction around 65th for both express & local (most likely local) as I know there's a lot of work lights over there but then again as of lately I have been sticking with the local b/c around the 11 PM hour there has been a work train going down the Express Track in a slow speed fouling up the express trains otherwise the express is moving well now as long as it's not in the 11 PM hour!

The day the R32's were removed from the (E) line was the greatest day in the history of the line.

The day the R32's were removed from the (E) line, was the worst day in the history of the line. :P

I had a blast standing at the RFW on the R32s on the (E) line! I loved the very fast express stretches on those cars (R32's) from Queens Plaza to Roosevelt Avenue and to Continental Avenue-Forest Hills. I also liked the run on the 53rd Street Tunnel on those trains.

The 160's seat less people than the R32's.

Are you sure? I always take into account that the 1/3 cabs take up at least 2 seats or 4 seats a car. Then you times that by the 6 cabs removed and you get 12 seats back.

And true, take away the 2 folding seats behind the cabs which would be about 8 total and maybe give or take a net total of 4 extra seats.

I could be wrong and only thinking off the top of my head.

Just correct me if I'm wrong, but are the R160 doors the same width as the R32's?

I really meant on the Queens Blvd. Line, :P!

The (1) and (7) are the most reliable A Division Lines other than the 181st St. incident.

heh even then i have to say (V)(R) >> (E)(F) on Queens Blvd...plenty of seats, for a local it moves across the line fast and rarely gets backed up. Granted if an (F) or an (E) show up while im waiting for the (V)(R) to leave I MIGHT go get it but the fact that i hesitate to get on an express train has to say something.

Really? I always thought the R160s were designed with wider doors than the 32s, and even the 68s for that matter.

Wait a sec, I thought you ment side width eacuse that is the same, 10 feet.

The doors are wider by a good foot with the benches resesed by several inches.

Well, that's one explanation for the smaller seating capacity.

Yea, the benches are pushed back from the door so that people who like to stand in the doors are not blocking them as much. It's just another brilliant design fetcher of that car class.

Yea, the benches are pushed back from the door so that people who like to stand in the doors are not blocking them as much. It's just another brilliant design fetcher of that car class.

Oh in that case then yeah R160's have less seats then. but not having those extra 1/3 cabs at least gives back a few seats the wider doors take away.

I also thought that it was just the R142's that had wider doors to be the same width as the B division ones to allow more space to move in and out of the trains.

Oh in that case then yeah R160's have less seats then. but not having those extra 1/3 cabs at least gives back a few seats the wider doors take away.

I also thought that it was just the R142's that had wider doors to be the same width as the B division ones to allow more space to move in and out of the trains.

Having a full cab and no fold down seats does reduce seating in an "A" car, I don't know about the "B" cars though.

Having a full cab and no fold down seats does reduce seating in an "A" car, I don't know about the "B" cars though.

Oh of course, the A-cars will have less seating due to the full width cab, but the B-cars not having cabs [which takes up at least 2 seats each] at least gives back maybe 2 seats total [*taken into fact the wider doors taking away 2 seats]

Archived