A small question for our T/O's and C/R's

EE Broadway Local

I both appreciate and admire the job you do every day. Do you happen to have a favorite and least favorite subway line personally and do you recall your first line assignment as a T/O and C/R?

P.S. I"m getting better about using the old terms Motorman and Conductor and I remember the cutting key.

My favorite line to work is the (N) ... I work it 4 days a week. When you have two express trips the day flies by. I have 2 days with an express and local trip , and on weekends first trip express in Brooklyn only. Still , the line moves fast , is outdoors on both ends , is all R-160 , and has bumping blocks at both ends so no relays to do.

My least favorite line to work when I was road extra was the (C) which I only did once or twice.

For this pick I'm on the (N) 4 days a week and the (Q) one day.

From memory , I'd say the lines I enjoyed working were the : (N)(D)(M)

The lines I thought were decent : (A)(as an express) (E) (J)/(Z) (F)(Q)

The lines I wasn't crazy about : (R)(B)(W)(G)(V)

Least favorite : (C)

Never worked : A division lines , (S) , or (L)

Most T/O's and C/R's have favorite lines and often pick jobs on those lines unless the commute to that specific terminal is simply too difficult.

For me, my favorite lines are the (:), (J), (V) and the Rock Park (S). I try to work the last three, but the (B) is just too far from my house so I rarely work it.

I'm not too crazy about the (C) because the line is an absolute dungeon, being underground all day, nothing but uncomfortable R32's and the crew rooms are dank, and the (L) because that line can work you like a dog.

My favorite line is the (A) on the a.m.'s only and least favorite is the (F). Even though 179 is the second closest terminal to my house I could never see myself picking a job there unless an amazing job fell into my lap.

My first day on the road out of school car on my own I worked the C and was given a wrong line up at canal on my first trip, lucky for me that was one line up I was sure of at that time so I didn't take it.

I liked the South, becsuse I grew up over there (and don't otherwise have any cause to be over there) and the jobs are sensible; but it is too far, and the heavy gear has been killing my back. The North is where I live, and a lo tof jobs on the weekends have just too many trips for the length of the line, yet with the new equipment (plus more job availability as we move up the list), it is now a bit more bearable.

Since im a A Div man first and foremost i will start with the A Div.

Favorite Lines..

(1),(3),(4),(5)

Least Favorite..

(2),(6) and (7)

I started on that (2)

As for the B Div where i am now...

Favorite line..

(J) period...:)

Next up (accoring to ones i worked)

(B) (thats before they jacked it up and have it going local in Crooklyn now)

(D)..

(N)..

Thats it.

My first day on on my own in Transit as a Conductor was almost 9 Years ago working a early AM job on the (1)(9) Line. The first picked job as a C/R was PM Relief 2 days on the (4) 2days (5) 1 day (6). My last pick as a C/R was a steady AM job on the (6)<6>. It was a nice job first trip out of Pelham <6> both directions. The last two trips where out of Parkchester (6).

First day as a T/O was a early AM job on the (C) out of 207 YD. My first trip broke me into the B Div my first trip down get stuck behind a (E) with door problems at Spring Street. Then on the way up fire at 34/8 I leave Spring xx (C) Euclid your going 6 AV W 4 to 59 St. that was a WTF moment for me because as a A Div person who never rode B Div I didn't know where I was going I just followed the bouncing ball. I am so glad they put me on the Express after W 4 then told me on the radio Just punch (B) at Rock ctr and 7 AV.

My first pick T/O Relief 2 days (M) One day Met the other Bay Pkway. 1 Day (J)(Z) out of ENY then wkends on the (C)

Extra List C/R most time spent (1)(2)(6) Lines. Favorite line to work as a C/R (5) the (6) Parkchester was second.

Extra List T/O most time spent (A)(D) Lines. My favorite line to operate (A) Express second (V)

My first day on on my own in Transit as a Conductor was almost 9 Years ago working a early AM job on the (1)(9) Line. The first picked job as a C/R was PM Relief 2 days on the (4) 2days (5) 1 day (6). My last pick as a C/R was a steady AM job on the (6)<6>. It was a nice job first trip out of Pelham <6> both directions. The last two trips where out of Parkchester (6).

First day as a T/O was a early AM job on the (C) out of 207 YD. My first trip broke me into the B Div my first trip down get stuck behind a (E) with door problems at Spring Street. Then on the way up fire at 34/8 I leave Spring xx (C) Euclid your going 6 AV W 4 to 59 St. that was a WTF moment for me because as a A Div person who never rode B Div I didn't know where I was going I just followed the bouncing ball. I am so glad they put me on the Express after W 4 then told me on the radio Just punch (B) at Rock ctr and 7 AV.

My first pick T/O Relief 2 days (M) One day Met the other Bay Pkway. 1 Day (J)(Z) out of ENY then wkends on the (C)

Extra List C/R most time spent (1)(2)(6) Lines. Favorite line to work as a C/R (5) the (6) Parkchester was second.

Extra List T/O most time spent (A)(D) Lines. My favorite line to operate (A) Express second (V)

I remember my first day on the job as a C/R: I sat the board for eight hours at East 180th Street. Second day I was on the (4) and had a man fall down in the area between cars while we were moving, he was able to hold himself up by the safety chain. Third day out on the (2), I had a robbery and two BIE's. As you can tell, I was thrown right into the fire with no delay.

As a T/O, the equipment that I was having some difficulties on was the 68. I kept saying to myself when it came time to drawing an assignment for the first day, "Please don't give me the (D), please don't give me the (D)." You know damn well that out of all the freakin' lines in the system, the first job they give me is a (D) out of Stillwell! I couldn't believe it. Went to sign on in the CRC and introduced myself to the female C/R there and told her it's my first day. She turned immediately to the ATD and said, "I'M NOT WORKING WITH THIS MAN!" The ATD responded, "Oh yes you are." It went on for about a minute until the ATD threatened to write her up, then the C/R turned to me and said, "If you screw up even one time, I'm calling Control!" Gee thanks, no pressure there.B) So I had to dig down deep to find a little extra to work with a C/R like this and a train that I was uncomfortable on. Got on the horse and actually found myself to be quite comfortable on it; it was quite easy to control! Got to Bedford Park where I saw my C/R in the crew room who told me, "Hey, you're not so bad!" I so badly wanted to say to her, "Oh, go f*ck yourself", but you know I had to keep something like that inside.

As far as pick jobs go, I've been pretty much either Vacation Relief or Extra List my entire career.

Archived